Gold Gloves will be anounced today

Frankensteiner

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Nov 1, 2005 -> 04:43 PM)
It is also worth noting that Crede didn't play nearly as many innings as Chavez this year, in part because of Ozzie's rest patterns, in part because of his stint on the DL, so some portion of those extra errors are presumably due to playing time.

Chavez was banged up early in the first half too and missed some games, Crede is moreso a flavor of the month right now, I doubt many baseball insiders and voters paid much attention to .220 hitter that gets benched for Pablo Ozuna once in a blue moon. As far as Rowand goes, we all know we wouldnt have anybody else patrolling our Center Field, hell Griffey wouldnt even had anywhere to play.... obviously Hunter doent deserve this award either, but there are other canidates out there besides Row...... Jeremy Reed comes to mind

QUOTE(watchtower41 @ Nov 1, 2005 -> 05:50 PM)
Chavez was banged up early in the first half too and missed some games, Crede is moreso a flavor of the month right now, I doubt many baseball insiders and voters paid much attention to .220 hitter that gets benched for Pablo Ozuna once in a blue moon.  As far as Rowand goes, we all know we wouldnt have anybody else patrolling our Center Field, hell Griffey wouldnt even had anywhere to play.... obviously Hunter doent deserve this award either, but there are other canidates out there besides Row...... Jeremy Reed comes to mind

You should've stopped while you were ahead...

Edit:

Take that back after re-reading you're entire post you were way behind about 15 words in. :banghead

Edited by Chisoxrd5

QUOTE(Chisoxrd5 @ Nov 1, 2005 -> 04:51 PM)

Reed makes some great plays out there in CF and probably would be in my top ten in GG caliber OFers. Kotsay and Rowand had better years than Hunter and Reed though.

QUOTE(Chisoxrd5 @ Nov 1, 2005 -> 04:51 PM)

Edit:

Take that back after re-reading you're entire post you were way behind about 15 words in.  :banghead

I didnt say he was better than Rowand, hell that trade was gold for us, but it seems like the kid is on webgems every night. Rowand didnt start to get noticed nationwide until his highly touted Yankee series. As far as the other crap I posed, yeah, I just did miss the memo about the players and mangers voting....which explains a lot about the winners who are chosen.

Edited by watchtower41

QUOTE(GoSox05 @ Nov 1, 2005 -> 04:52 PM)
how a guy who plays a little more than half a year wins a gold glove is really insane.  The shocking thing is that the players and managers pick this.  I could understand the fans, but managers should know better.

per ESPN

Gold Gloves, presented since 1957 by St. Louis-based Rawlings, are voted on by managers and coaches before the end of the regular season. They may not select players on their own teams, and they vote only for players in their own league.

like someone else said, now that the entire nation got to watch the sox and have seen their defense in the playoffs this year, NEXT year Crede, Rowand, etc will have a better chance. they won't necessarily win, but they'll have more attention brought to them.

QUOTE(ChiSox_Sonix @ Nov 1, 2005 -> 05:15 PM)
Hunter winning is absolute bulls***

Your are right that is the biggest joke I have ever seen. Obviously whoever votes didn't even slightly do their homework. Not only did Hunter only play 93 games, but he didn't even have the highest Fielding % at his position in those games, had a .987%, ROWAND HAD A .992%. What a disrespectful slap in the face and sox fans, rowand, ozzie, and the sox brass should take it personal.

QUOTE(watchtower41 @ Nov 1, 2005 -> 05:58 PM)
I didnt say he was better than Rowand, hell that trade was gold for us, but it seems like the kid is on webgems every night.  Rowand didnt start to get noticed nationwide until his highly touted Yankee series.

I'm not even saying that Rowand should've won it. But in the history of the Gold Glove, only two Outfielders have ever won the award as a rookie. Ichiro, and I think Fred Lynn...both pretty good players with big names. Its not very common for a rookie to win the award.

QUOTE(joeynach @ Nov 1, 2005 -> 05:05 PM)
Your are right that is the biggest joke I have ever seen.  Obviously whoever votes didn't even slightly do their homework.  Not only did Hunter only play 93 games, but he didn't even have the highest Fielding % at his position in those games, had a .987%, ROWAND HAD A .992%.  What a disrespectful slap in the face and sox fans, rowand, ozzie, and the sox brass should take it personal.

No, no it's not. And Fielding% isn't a very good stat for an OFer.

The biggest joke on there is Erstad not winning the gold glove at 1st base. He's the best first baseman in both leagues (by a landslide too, along with JT. Snow of the Giants).

Tex can't hold Erstads jock strap (not knocking Tex) but Erstad has insane range on pop outs in foul territory and gets to more balls than any other 1st baseman. Plus he can pick it as good as anyone else too.

But no shock to me. Oh and Jeter winning another crock.

QUOTE(joeynach @ Nov 1, 2005 -> 11:05 PM)
Your are right that is the biggest joke I have ever seen.  Obviously whoever votes didn't even slightly do their homework.  Not only did Hunter only play 93 games, but he didn't even have the highest Fielding % at his position in those games, had a .987%, ROWAND HAD A .992%.  What a disrespectful slap in the face and sox fans, rowand, ozzie, and the sox brass should take it personal.

Who cares what the fielding percentage is. Rowand didn't even get errors on some of his biggest blunders this season (basically, whenever Jenks was on the mound). Rowand had a very solid year in the field, but I don't think he deserved the Gold Glove. His arm was extremely poor/inaccurate this season. Compare his arm to the likes of Wells, Kotsay, Hunter, and Ichiro, and it's no contest. Rowand is an above average defensive outfielder, but I'm not going to lose sleep over him not winning the Gold Glove.

Our best defensive player this season was Juan Uribe, and it's not even close in my book. Crede could have been in consideration, but he had a real rough defensive stretch after the Manny error.

Edited by fathom

QUOTE(JimH @ Nov 1, 2005 -> 05:38 PM)
I would consider this another in a long line of your occasionally whimsical exaggerations.

Extremely poor?  :bang

Aaron's arm was extremely inaccurate this season. And this is comming from one of his biggest fans.

The White Sox got the only award that matters. They all got to hoist it up over their heads in front of millions of people in person and on television last Friday afternoon. Gold gloves while nice mean nothing. Didn't Palmiero win one a few years ago when he was primarily a DH? Its a popularity contest.

The White Sox are World Champions. Who cares about anything else?

QUOTE(JimH @ Nov 1, 2005 -> 11:38 PM)
I would consider this another in a long line of your occasionally whimsical exaggerations.

Extremely poor?   :bang

Yes, his arm was awful this year compared to how he was throwing the previous few seasons. Rowand seemed to struggle getting enough air on his throws home this season, and they ended up getting slowed down far too often by the infield grass. I just remember Rowand's arm being a lot stronger/accurate in previous seasons. Like I said, there's no comparison between his arm and that of guys like Kotsay, Ichiro, Hunter, etc.

Edited by fathom

QUOTE(fathom @ Nov 1, 2005 -> 07:13 PM)
Yes, his arm was awful this year compared to how he was throwing the previous few seasons.  Rowand seemed to struggle getting enough air on his throws home this season, and they ended up getting slowed down far too often by the infield grass.  I just remember Rowand's arm being a lot stronger/accurate in previous seasons.  Like I said, there's no comparison between his arm and that of guys like Kotsay, Ichiro, Hunter, etc.

You're right about his throws. He did have a streak of a couple weeks where he was throwing great, and of course had that streak of unbelievable plays around the time they were in NY this year, but most of the year he was hunting rattlesnakes with his throws, which indicates he was really overthrowing, something he seemed to be doing with his swing as well at times. He had a great year catching the ball defensively, but its understandable how he didn't win the GG. I think he'll take what he got.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Nov 2, 2005 -> 01:39 AM)
He had a great year catching the ball defensively, but its understandable how he didn't win the GG. I think he'll take what he got.

I couldn't agree more about him accepting what he got. I'll remember Uribe's incredible defense in Game 4 a hell of a lot longer than I will remember whether or not any of them won the Gold Glove. One thing I'll give Rowand a lot of credit for this year is he picked his leadership ability up. You can tell he's one of the guys that a lot of other players look up to.