Official Re-sign Paul Konerko Thread

JDsDirtySox

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Nov 3, 2005 -> 01:32 PM)
Do we even need to go here?

He's playing San Diego.

It's hard to put up numbers there.

In the Cell he'd hit 30 HR easily and I think he could hit 40.

40?? C'mon, 30 is a stretch. He had a total of 15 last year (a full year). He had 6 at home and 9 away. For the sake of argument, let's give him 18 for last year (9+9). Just for 30 he'd have to hit 12 more. Playing at the Cell, I'd say 25. Of course you should also rule in a possible declination of power as has been his trend starting with his last year in PITTSBURGH. He's never even hit 40 homers ONCE in his career. Also keep in mind he was playing in THE weakest division last year with craptacular pitching and frequent trips to Colorado (where he amassed 3 of those homers and 15 rbi).

• Replies 616
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 3, 2005 -> 01:48 PM)
If Konerko leaves...

And Thomas is healthy...

Then give 1B up to a contest between our minor league starting 1B's, who are all among the best at their levels: Gload, Rogowski, or Daigle.  Let them duke it out in spring training.  Let the best man win.

Now if Thomas is also gone next year, then I'm less apt to lean on an exposed rookie that way.  But even then, if we go get a solid bat for DH/1B, I still think the other spot should go in-house as I stated above.  Heck, even if Thomas and Konerko are both back, I'd still say we should have one of those three guys on the roster.

It just seems a shame that we are looking outside the organization so completely when we are so well-stacked at 1B in our own system.  They've gotta get a shot sometime!

Daigle is gone because well...he's not very good, Rogo is still a year away if he ever gets a shot to be a starter and as much as I like Gload there is no chance the sox give him a shot to be an everyday player. If Paul is gone you'll either see a trade for a first baseman or Jermaine moving to first and finding another power bat in the outfield.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Nov 3, 2005 -> 02:56 PM)
Daigle is gone because well...he's not very good, Rogo is still a year away if he ever gets a shot to be a starter and as much as I like Gload there is no chance the sox give him a shot to be an everyday player.  If Paul is gone you'll either see a trade for a first baseman or Jermaine moving to first and finding another power bat in the outfield.

OK, so I don't watch these guys play much (other than Gload), but...

Daigle is not very good? He just won an award that is basically MVP in his league!

I don't know much about Rogo, but the one scouting report I found was awfully good. And Gload is probably ready, though he apparently has some personality issues to work out with Ozzie.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 3, 2005 -> 01:59 PM)
OK, so I don't watch these guys play much (other than Gload), but...

Daigle is not very good?  He just won an award that is basically MVP in his league!

I don't know much about Rogo, but the one scouting report I found was awfully good.  And Gload is probably ready, though he apparently has some personality issues to work out with Ozzie.

Daigle was a 26 year old who dominated high A ball and then struggled in aaa, not very impressive. Rogo most likely is going to have to develop some more power if he ever gets a shot to be an everday player in the major leagues and Ross isn't a prospect.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 3, 2005 -> 07:48 PM)
If Konerko leaves...

And Thomas is healthy...

Then give 1B up to a contest between our minor league starting 1B's, who are all among the best at their levels: Gload, Rogowski, or Daigle.  Let them duke it out in spring training.  Let the best man win.

:lol:

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Nov 3, 2005 -> 03:01 PM)
Daigle was a 26 year old who dominated high A ball and then struggled in aaa, not very impressive.  Rogo most likely is going to have to develop some more power if he ever gets a shot to be an everday player in the major leagues and Ross isn't a prospect.

Daigle spent 25 games at AAA. Not enough time for his stats to mean much. But like I said, i didn't see him in person. You can call Gload whatever you'd like, prospect or not, but I still think he could be very good at 1B at the MLB level.

With all three taking a shot, I think the chances of one doing at least as well offensively as Everett (and better defensively, but at 1st) are very, very good.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 3, 2005 -> 08:08 PM)
Daigle spent 25 games at AAA.  Not enough time for his stats to mean much.  But like I said, i didn't see him in person.  You can call Gload whatever you'd like, prospect or not, but I still think he could be very good at 1B at the MLB level. 

With all three taking a shot, I think the chances of one doing at least as well offensively as Everett (and better defensively, but at 1st) are very, very good.

Daigle is bad and was claimed by another team a day or two ago. No more Daigle daydreaming plz.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 3, 2005 -> 03:08 PM)
Daigle spent 25 games at AAA.  Not enough time for his stats to mean much.  But like I said, i didn't see him in person.  You can call Gload whatever you'd like, prospect or not, but I still think he could be very good at 1B at the MLB level. 

Daigle isnt in our Organization anymore, give it up. He is no longer a prospect.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Nov 3, 2005 -> 03:07 PM)
Someone tell this guy that Daigle is no longer with the sox organization, thanks

Are you not capable of doing that yourself?

But seriously, if that's true, I was not aware of that. If it's not, then I ask, does anyone have any reason to not to think highly of a guy who was considered the league MVP at high-A? At least enough to give him a look?

I think the insistence on getting a high-priced FA is narrow-minded.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 3, 2005 -> 12:08 PM)

I think Gload may be able to be a very good 1b also...but I would be very, very, very, very nervous in having a guy who's entire claim to fame is 1 month in 2004 where he hit above .300 and a few good months in the minors start at 1b for the defending world champs without some other major upgrade in our lineup to replace Paulie.

I like what Gload could bring to the table based on his late 04 performance, but I'm still far from sold on him.

Hell, and we also have reason to worry that he might not be fully healthy - that was a pretty injury plagued first half last year.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Nov 3, 2005 -> 03:10 PM)
Daigle isnt in our Organization anymore, give it up.  He is no longer a prospect.

So be it.

Then leave it to Gload, or maybe Rogo. I still think we need to consider our own resources before spending a ton of new money. Give them a shot.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Nov 3, 2005 -> 01:56 PM)
Daigle is gone because well...he's not very good, Rogo is still a year away if he ever gets a shot to be a starter and as much as I like Gload there is no chance the sox give him a shot to be an everyday player.  If Paul is gone you'll either see a trade for a first baseman or Jermaine moving to first and finding another power bat in the outfield.

I thought I did :)

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Nov 3, 2005 -> 02:07 PM)
Someone tell this guy that Daigle is no longer with the sox organization, thanks

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Nov 3, 2005 -> 08:05 PM)
But he would also have a nearly infinitely greater price tag.

And there's a reason why Thome has such a lower price tag. Besides for the emergence of Howard, they know that Thome is a huge health risk the rest of his career. If the Sox are making a trade to acquire their 1B for the next few seasons, then they might as well aim to get someone who can actually play 1B. Offer Anderson, Duque, and Marte, and see what they say.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 3, 2005 -> 03:12 PM)
So be it.

Then leave it to Gload, or maybe Rogo.  I still think we need to consider our own resources before spending a ton of new money.  Give them a shot.

So by you're plan for the offseason, our payroll will drop from last seasons $75 million? I'm sure that will go over well...

QUOTE(fathom @ Nov 3, 2005 -> 12:16 PM)
And there's a reason why Thome has such a lower price tag.  Besides for the emergence of Howard, they know that Thome is a huge health risk the rest of his career.  If the Sox are making a trade to acquire their 1B for the next few seasons, then they might as well aim to get someone who can actually play 1B.  Offer Anderson, Duque, and Marte, and see what they say.

If the Marlins said yes on that deal I'd take it, but I can't see the Marlins seeing those names and figuring "Yeah, that's something I'll take". For all I know they'd ask us to absorb Lowell's contract as well, and that's one I want like the plague.

QUOTE(Chisoxrd5 @ Nov 3, 2005 -> 12:17 PM)
So by you're plan for the offseason, our payroll will drop from last seasons $75 million? I'm sure that will go over well...

If we were to spend more in 2006...when there's an acutal quality and competitive free agent market...yeah it might go over well.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 3, 2005 -> 08:12 PM)
So be it.

Then leave it to Gload, or maybe Rogo.  I still think we need to consider our own resources before spending a ton of new money.  Give them a shot.

We need power. We're losing 40 homers.

Contrary to what the media wants you to believe, we won because we hit a lot of homers, and caught everything and anything hit in the park, and pitched awesome.

And you know what -- I love it. Ozzie consolidated the OBP we did have at the top of the order with Iguchi and Podsednik, and, other then maybe sticking with Everett too long in the three spot, he did an awesome job of lineup construction.

But, I'm getting off topic. Even if Rogo and Gload were to have a peak year next season, I doubt either of them would reach 20 homers. Lots of doubles, but we need lots of power.

Long story short, I'm rooting hard for Carlos Delgado. He's a better hitter than Konerko has been, and is that big lefty bad we really need. He had a .981 OPS last year, playing half his games in Florida, along with the other notorious pitchers parks of the NL East (RFK, Shea).

He'd be such a great pickup...

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 3, 2005 -> 02:12 PM)
So be it.

Replace PK with Gload or Rogo?!?.....mkaaaay. Glad Kenny's makin the decisions here.

What sucks for the Sox in terms of the PK situation is that it's such a s*** year for FAs. I'm not overly sold on Overbay either...plus...he's only a year younger than PK.

QUOTE(Chisoxrd5 @ Nov 3, 2005 -> 03:17 PM)

I stated my plan earlier. It depends on who is back and healthy...

If: Konerko and Thomas both back and healthy, then there you have your 3-4 hitters. Maybe add Gload as the backup.

If: Konerko and Thomas both not playing, then go get that high-priced FA for one spot, and give the other to Gload or Rogo or JD.

If: One is back and not the other, well, probably the same as above, in some form.

I would want a winning team, which may or may not require much increase in salary. There would be some increase in any case, with Konerko OR and FA, plus the raises.

Has no one learned yet, even after the World Series, that $$$ does not necessarily equal WWW?