Mark Shapiro, NOT Kenny Williams, Exec of the Year

The Ginger Kid

QUOTE(beck72 @ Nov 8, 2005 -> 10:30 PM)
The Twins 1st place finishes were always discounted, too. I'll take a few more from the sox. The media always loves a good story, like a young team seemingly on the rise, over a scrappy bunch of veterans. Whether Clev. can do anything, who knows. But the sox team isn't exactly filled with overachievers, who had career yrs. They have plenty of room for improvement, esp offensively.

Frankly if Cleveland don't get Millwood re-signed, they're in trouble. Elarton's a FA too, and those two were their best 2nd half pitchers. Unless they signed 2 FA SP's to replace em, you'd have the likes of Jason Davis filling in, which hardly inspires confidence.

And as you say, we've got room to improve offensively as well, and that could also come from a trade. We shouldn't naturally assume the pitching is going to be as good, because if you make assumptions in this game it'll come back to haunt ya, so we'll need to score more runs and if the pitching is as good as it was this season, well we'll be in even better shape.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The snubs are endless. Uribe, A-row, Crede, KW. Seriously, whats everyone's problem with us? We tore your dream teams apart b****es, and still no respect? The "over acheiving white sox" arent that good? We beat all of your candy ass teams, and rolled over the best in both leagues, not what? You can have your tiny little trophy's we have the big one.

Its voted on by peers so a lot of it is political. Kenny was furiously inquiring about and made trades in the off-season and then was burning up the phones all the way up to the trade deadline so I am sure he pissed off quite a few other GMs. Negotiations are never really that pretty and when both teams are trying to get the best deal without paying a premium, things can get heated. I'm sure Kenny is pretty intense during these discussions trying to do whatever he can to get the players he wants while helping the Sox, which he did so to hell with a popularity vote for GM of the Year, I'm sure he'd rather have the hardware that matters.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Nov 8, 2005 -> 02:17 AM)
They already did. Ozzie won.

No he didn't, He won SPorting News Manager of the Year, Not the Baseball Writters association award which is the one that counts. Sporting News gave Mark Shapiro that award, The one from the writers hasn't been announced yet. 2

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Nov 8, 2005 -> 01:33 AM)
If I did about 3 minutes worth of research I could answer all questions involved in this situation. However, I just don't care enough about this to make the effort.

For some unknown reason I just don't care about individual awards all that much this season.

you know the reason, it's because of the White Sox winning the World Series. I feel the same way about the awards right now, I don't care at all that Gooch didn't win ROY, the White Sox won the World Series.

LOL

You can't use the "Shapiro made the moves he did prior to this year but you can't judge him then" argument - KW did the same thing. Cliff Politte, Jose Contreras, Freddy Garcia, Juan Uribe all come to mind right away, and I'm sure I'm forgetting some, or not counting some(count Cotts or not? count Marte or not?...and there are a couple others you can do that for, though Willie Harris didn't have a huge impact on the overall team, even if he did have the World Series winning run). KW not only made those moves, but he added 4 new starters offensively(Dye, Podsednik, Iguchi, and Pierzynski), added a starting pitcher that the Sox needed pretty badly, added 3 other relievers in Hermanson, Vizcaino, and Jenks. He is also the one that hired Ozzie, who is probably one of the best managers all in all in the game(I say this knowing I may take a lot of heat...but you can't argue with the results, and he made some hella ballsy moves that won us the World Series).

Also, the main group of Shapiro's moves that were made panned out LAST year...Hafner was very good in 04, as was Victor, and again, I'm sure I'm missing some.

How KW is not executive of the year and Shapiro is is something I won't know. That is probably one of the worst calls ever.

QUOTE(SleepyWhiteSox @ Nov 8, 2005 -> 04:07 PM)
So did we find out if this is the"official" one or not?

I'm still confused on that.    :unsure:

Looking at the MLB site, there is no mention of an executive of the year among the EOY awards. Just not there.

But someone mentioned another one in this thread, the BWAA. Not sure what that is (Baseball Writers Association of A**holes?). :huh

EDIT: Also, Kalapse metioned IRRC. Don't know what that is either (International Red-sox Racketeering Conspiracy?).

Edited by NorthSideSox72

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 8, 2005 -> 03:12 PM)
Looking at the MLB site, there is no mention of an executive of the year among the EOY awards.  Just not there.

But someone mentioned another one in this thread, the BWAA.  Not sure what that is (Baseball Writers Association of A**holes?).  :huh

EDIT: Also, Kalapse metioned IRRC.  Don't know what that is either (International Red-sox Racketeering Conspiracy?).

If I Recall Correctly

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Nov 7, 2005 -> 11:08 PM)
Okay, I can't justify this at all. 

I can justify us not winning an MVP, ROY, Cy, or GG, but this is ridiculous.

KW, call the cops, you got robbed.

My feelings exactly. I thought Kenny was a shoo-in. What do I know?

I'd be mad but hey, we won the f***ing World Series. f*** all these awards. :drink

Edited by BigEdWalsh

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Nov 8, 2005 -> 02:09 AM)
What's more impressive?  Re-tooling your entire team and winning a World Series or building towards the future with no real guarantee of a World Series?  I know which one I would pick.

Kenny's is more impressive right now but these votings took place before the first round of the playoffs even ended. I didn't notice this at first. Taking that into account I can see how it was a toss-up between the two. Putting together a 90+ win team with $40 million is comparable to making the sheer number of moves that Kenny did to build a division winner with his budget in my opinion.

Edited by 3E8

QUOTE(3E8 @ Nov 8, 2005 -> 03:50 PM)
Kenny's is more impressive right now but these votings took place before the first round of the playoffs even ended.  I didn't notice this at first.  Taking that into account I can see how it was a toss-up between the two.  Putting together a 90+ win team with $40 million is comparable to making the sheer number of moves that Kenny did to build a division winner with his budget in my opinion.

Before the playofs even started. Votes were due in by 10/1/05 iirc.

QUOTE(Steff @ Nov 8, 2005 -> 05:09 PM)
Before the playofs even started. Votes were due in by 10/1/05 iirc.

Thanks for clarification. When I saw early October, I just took a stab at the range. So most votes probably took place when the Indians looked to be a shoe-in for the wild card.

QUOTE(3E8 @ Nov 8, 2005 -> 04:14 PM)
Thanks for clarification.  When I saw early October, I just took a stab at the range.  So most votes probably took place when the Indians looked to be a shoe-in for the wild card.

That would be my guess also. And at that point.. when we just got done changing our wet diapers.. they did look good.

QUOTE(3E8 @ Nov 8, 2005 -> 03:50 PM)
Kenny's is more impressive right now but these votings took place before the first round of the playoffs even ended.  I didn't notice this at first.  Taking that into account I can see how it was a toss-up between the two.  Putting together a 90+ win team with $40 million is comparable to making the sheer number of moves that Kenny did to build a division winner with his budget in my opinion.

The thing is it's executive of the year, it's not who put the best team together overall, Shapiro made a great move with Millwood but what after that?? Kenny got Scott, Tad, Jermaine, Aj, Duke, Hermy, Viz, plus 75 percent of group four. :D

Reifert vents:

http://whitesoxpride.mlblogs.com/inside_th...11/outrage.html

Outrage

Tuesday, November 8, 2005, 1:57 pm

Allow Me a Moment ...

How in the world can Ken Williams not be named Executive of the Year by The Sporting News?  You have got to be kidding me.  Voting was done by two executives from each major-league club.  In my opinion, they should be embarrassed.

Worse, the winner wasn't someone from the National League.  It was Mark Shapiro of the Indians.  Nothing against Mark -- he certainly did a great job and the Indians improved from 80 wins to 93 (six victories short of the Sox) -- but my guess is that if you went back and checked on all the preseason rankings, most (or at least many) had the Indians ahead of the Sox.  So all KW does is re-make the team in one year, win 99 games, capture the division, and he loses to the team that "underperformed" according to many preseason picks?  C'mon.

Kenny has too much class to ever complain, but this result is ridiculous.

Tomorrow is the BBWAA announcement on managers of the year.  No way it can't be Ozzie, is there?

Now, I feel a little better ... but only a little.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Nov 8, 2005 -> 06:39 PM)
My gut tells me the MLB is trying to keep it under raps so that the public still buys into the fact there is in fact only one baseball team in Chicago.

That's like saying Coca Cola wants to keep Diet Coke under wraps so that the public thinks there is only one soda in town. It's all the same company!

MLB benefits if as many teams as possible draw as much attention and fans as possible, and that means both teams drawing well, not one.

That all said, I do see a pattern developing with the Sox not getting some awards we may have deserved. But I think that's due more to lack of national media awareness (by choice or otherwise) of our team than anything else. And laziness on the part of the voting writers to actually do their homework.