Bobby Abreu

South Side Fireworks Man

According to one executive, the Phillies discussed a trade that would have sent rightfielder Bobby Abreu to the Toronto Blue Jays for centerfielder Vernon Wells. The Jays, who are looking for a corner outfielder, turned thumbs down on the proposed deal because Abreu is owed at least $31 million over the next two seasons. A Wells-for-Abreu deal could still come to fruition if Abreu would waive his no-trade clause and the Phils would eat some of his salary. That deal could help the Phillies on two fronts. It would give them a proven centerfielder and open right field as a possible landing spot for Ryan Howard if they're unable to deal Thome.

http://www.philly.com/mld/inquirer/sports/13137314.htm

If the Phillies were willing to trade Abreu for Wells, and it was the Jays who turned it down because of the salary, it means the Sox would have a good shot at Abreu for Aaron Rowand straight up if they were willing to take on the salary.

I think it's worth it.

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(South Side Fireworks Man @ Nov 11, 2005 -> 09:08 PM)
If the Phillies were willing to trade Abreu for Wells, and it was the Jays who turned it down because of the salary, it means the Sox would have a good shot at Abreu for Aaron Rowand straight up if they were willing to take on the salary.

I think it's worth it.

I don't see Kenny doing it simply because his defense in CF would be a downgrade from Rowand's and we still would need a 1B with a big bat if this were to happen(assuming PK is traded).

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Nov 11, 2005 -> 09:10 PM)
I don't see Kenny doing it simply because his defense in CF would be a downgrade from Rowand's and we still would need a 1B with a big bat if this were to happen(assuming PK is traded).

Anderson in center, Abreu in right, Dye at dh...tada. That being said no way Phili would do Abreu for Rowand but damn Bobby would fit in on this team on so many fronts, and there is that extra speed ozzie also wants.

QUOTE(Palehosefan @ Nov 11, 2005 -> 10:12 PM)
Before you get ripped, Rowand doesn't have same value as Wells, not even close in my opinion. Vernon also plays gold glove defense while putting up around 30 100 each season.

As I said, Wells may be better but it's not that big a difference:

Wells 2005: .269avg. 28HR .320OBP Salary: $3,070,000

Rowand 2005: .270.avg. 13HR 329OBP Salary: $2,000,000

The Phillies may rather have Wells, but Jays are the ones who turned the trade down. If the Sox take on the salary, the Phillies get their CF and clear up even more money.

QUOTE(Palehosefan @ Nov 11, 2005 -> 10:12 PM)
Before you get ripped, Rowand doesn't have same value as Wells, not even close in my opinion. Vernon also plays gold glove defense while putting up around 30 100 each season.

:huh:

Wells has had one 30-100 season (2003) and the only time he was close was 2002 23 homers and exactly 100 RBI's while posting an OBP of .305.

His 2005 season season was very comparable to Corey Patterson's 2004 season.

It's too bad Wade is out as GM. We could've built a package around Marte and Vizcaino. :P

QUOTE(South Side Fireworks Man @ Nov 11, 2005 -> 09:35 PM)
As I said, Wells may be better but it's not that big a difference:

Wells 2005:  .269avg.  28HR  .320OBP  Salary: $3,070,000

Rowand 2005:  .270.avg.  13HR  329OBP  Salary: $2,000,000

The Phillies may rather have Wells, but Jays are the ones who turned the trade down.  If the Sox take on the salary, the Phillies get their CF and clear up even more money.

You're only citing one year though.

2003-'05

Wells -- .288/.340/.498 -- 84 HR 280 RBI

Rowand -- .289/.342/.468 -- 43HR 162 RBI

someone lock this thread? yeah... ok, lock the thread because someone dosent have the same vantage point as you.... lock this thread because someone isnt as enlightened as you...

sure buddy.

It's a waste of time talking about it. There's no way the Phillies would ever take Rowand for Abreu. It's like a bad Levine rumor that never comes to fruition.

im glad that someone died and made you god.

i didnt.... ever in my life.... know what was important to talk about... until now.

thank you so much for directing me in the right path with you.... thank you.... no, really..... thanks..... seriously, i mean it.

Abreu would be a great fit for this team yes but they are going to have to give up more than just Rowand. The best thing that could happen is they lose Wagner and they need some left relief pitching ie. Damaso Marte. Abreu is set to get around 14-15 mil next year which is a huge salary and we all know the sox shy away from these sorts of deals. HOWEVER Abreu is a quality outfielder, Venezualian (sp?), homerun hitter (25-30 a year), steals 20+ a year, and is a LEFTY. Perfect match but only under the perfect situation will this deal ever happen. But a guy can dream right... :gosox3:

Edited by FGarcia34

Wells has had one 30-100 season (2003) and the only time he was close was 2002 23 homers and exactly 100 RBI's while posting an OBP of .305.

His 2005 season season was very comparable to Corey Patterson's 2004 season.

2002: 23 homers 100 rbi's

2003: 33 homers 117 rbi's

2004: 23 homers 67 rbi's(missed 28 games and was injured most of the year)

2005: 28 homers 97 rbi's

Average: 27 homers, 95.25 rbi's

while putting up around 30 100 each season.

QUOTE(South Side Fireworks Man @ Nov 11, 2005 -> 09:08 PM)

I think it's worth it.

Ill take that in a heart beat... its a no Brainer.

QUOTE(FGarcia34 @ Nov 11, 2005 -> 11:12 PM)
Abreu would be a great fit for this team yes but they are going to have to give up more than just Rowand.  The best thing that could happen is they lose Wagner and they need some left relief pitching ie. Damaso Marte.  Abreu is set to get around 14-15 mil next year which is a huge salary and we all know the sox shy away from these sorts of deals.  HOWEVER Abreu is a quality outfielder, Venezualian (sp?), homerun hitter (25-30 a year), steals 20+ a year, and is a LEFTY.  Perfect match but only under the perfect situation will this deal ever happen.  But a guy can dream right...    :gosox3:

:)

Edited by knightni

QUOTE(FGarcia34 @ Nov 12, 2005 -> 12:34 AM)
What can I say, I'm not a fan.  I would like him and his 2.25 million dollar 2005 salary gone.  :gosox3:

I ony said it because it goes against Soxtalk's personal attacks rule.

We're not allowed to "bust on" players or board members in a personal manner.

Ok, back to talking about how awesome it would be to have Abreu on the Sox... absolutely perfect fit for the Sox, just don't let him play home run derby again and mess himself up. He's been quoted as saying he'd rather win a batting title than say a home run title. Power, speed, average, lefthanded, a #3 hitter at its finest. Anyone got the defensive report? If we lost PK, we could have Dye move to 1st. Weren't the Phils interested in Burnett at the deadline? I seem to remember a 3-way deal with the Phils getting Burnett and the Sox getting Wagner. Anyway if the Rowand+Marte to the Phils doesn't work... how about Rowand to the Yanks, Wang to the Phils, Marte+OF prospect to the Phils (if they lose Wags)? Or if they want a more established pitcher, include Arizona and Javier Vazquez (who wants to go to the East Coast) to make it a 4 team deal (Zona gets Wang). Yeah that's getting complicated (does XBox even allow 4-way trades?), but I don't care. I want Abreu on this team real bad. The only players I wouldn't include would be our starting 5, Cotts, and Jenks. That's it, everyone else could be had for Abreu. :pray