Bobby Abreu

South Side Fireworks Man

That scenario is far fetched and it won't happen.  They are not going to sign Brian Giles no matter what.  I see what you're saying but it's not going to work out that way.

I know. I guess I'd rather see that lineup though. :)

I like Giles on a shorter, cheaper contract than Konerko on a massive 5 year deal. Giles is a better all-around hitter than Konerko.

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Nov 19, 2005 -> 04:12 PM)
Nothing.  But what does that matter?  His numbers are better than Konerko's.

Brian Giles:  .299 .413 .542 .954 

Paul Konerko:  .279 .349 .488 .837

I love what Konerko did for us in the postseason but give me Giles over Konerko any day of the week.

It's an interesting argument though looking at their positions, age etc. We'll see how much Giles is going to regress over the next few seasons.

QUOTE(JimH @ Nov 18, 2005 -> 07:06 PM)
Good Lord man, put the Giles drum away.  You have only mentioned this about 100 times already, he is gonna cost a 3 year deal at probably $25 million minimum.  Meaning, not modestly priced.

Giles would be a great fit, problem is he's going to play in Los Angeles (Dodgers want him) and to play in the midwest it would take 3/30 minimum.

QUOTE(timotime @ Nov 19, 2005 -> 06:32 AM)
well, its obvious who's wearing the big daddy pants in this forum. sorry my posts arent good enough for you. jees.

If your going to post something, post something with substance, otherwise don't post. Its pretty clear, no need to come in and just make a stupid comment. If you want to comment on a players ineffectiveness or if you disagree with something, please put together an intelligent argument because that adds to the discussion.

One liners from a poster that does nothing but one liners do not add to the discussion. Take this as a warning and hopefully you'll improve your posting style or at the very least sit back and read more.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Nov 19, 2005 -> 06:23 PM)
Giles would be a great fit, problem is he's going to play in Los Angeles (Dodgers want him) and to play in the midwest it would take 3/30 minimum.

Gosh -- if 3/$30 could get Giles, I sure hope that the Sox are making that offer. That's one helluva deal for one of the best left-handed hitters in all of baseball.

It might even leave you enough payroll flexibility to still make a trade for Delgado or Thome.

I doubt it's the case, but I really hope the Sox put a good offer out there for Giles. He's a damn good, and pretty underrated, player. He's almost what you'd call a star.

QUOTE(JimH @ Nov 19, 2005 -> 03:06 AM)
Good Lord man, put the Giles drum away.  You have only mentioned this about 100 times already, he is gonna cost a 3 year deal at probably $25 million minimum.  Meaning, not modestly priced.

Three years at $25 million is very modestly priced for a #3, #4, or #5 hitter who can play all three outfield positions and whose power numbers the last two years are suppressed by playing in San Diego.

Giles would be our best outfielder, and possibly our best hitter depending on whether Frank Thomas is back. He had more runs created than Paul Konerko last year (116 v. 114) even though he played half his games in San Diego, where his offensive production was suppressed. He had a better RC27 number too (7.68 v. 7.27). Indeed, Giles ranked 13th and 12th in baseball in these categories, yet he posted only a modest .795 OPS at home versus 1.008 on the road.

In the Cell, he might not return to his 4-year stretch of 35+ HRs, but I bet he'd get back to 30 HRs, without losing his ability to get on base.

I'm really tired of you writing these BS responses to my posts when you don't do your baseball homework.

This is the list of guys with better RC27 numbers than Giles last year.

Derrek Lee, Alex Rodriguez, Albert Pujols, Todd Helton, Jason Giambi, Travis Hafner, David Ortiz, Jason Bay, Carlos Delgado, Vladimir Guerrero, Manny Ramirez.

Do you think you could get any of those guys for 3-years $25 million if they were free agents?

Brian Giles, who turned down $21 million over three years from the Padres last month, passed on an improved offer which would have paid him $25.5 million for three years.

Giles could make at least $10 million per year for three years as a free agent and might prefer to play to in a park more suited for big offensive numbers. The Cardinals are expected to show a lot of interest. The Padres will probably look at Jacque Jones once they've given up on re-signing Giles.

Source: San Diego Union-Tribune

If he turned down 25.5/3 which would keep him on the west coast, I think he'll end up finding someone who will give him over $10 million/year for at least 3 years.

Edited by 3E8

QUOTE(VAfan @ Nov 18, 2005 -> 10:00 PM)
The $12-18 million is more than enough because you have to include what they made last year as a baseline figure.

How do you figure? With either potential use of the term baseline, their previous salary is not a reliable indicator of what it will take to resign the players, and we have not already paid that portion of their salary or committed to those totals, so there is no reason to neglect those numbers when figuring out what the future cost of retaining their services will be. Both will make more money, and Garland might be making considerably more. We also can't conclude that those totals are included in the future budget. We're talking about raw dollar totals, otherwise with that logic we could argue that Abreu/Giles is only a slight increase in cost over Konerko's $8.75 mil last year (since we are talking about his replacement) instead of being a possible discount from Paulie's coming contract, or we could argue that Konerko would only cost us about $5 mil per year. None of those are the case. In this case, you simply can't use past salaries or past budget totals as any reliable basis for comparison from year to year when discussing player salaries who are about to reach the open market or calculating the cost. The only way that would make sense would be the total dollar cost, which would probably be between $10 and $12 mil over 3 years for A.J. and something like $12 mil for two years of Garland, and the latter might be a little low based on the going price for medicore pitching. Our future cost is not the difference between their salary for the previous year and what they will make in the coming years, it's just what they will make in the coming years.

Edited by ZoomSlowik