Bobby Abreu

South Side Fireworks Man

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(bighurt2719 @ Nov 14, 2005 -> 04:29 PM)
if and only if we lose PK do i consent to this deal

Ummm, if the Phils were stupid enough to want A-row for Abreu I would hope KW pulls the trigger that instant. Abreu is a superior baseball player. He has a career .411 OBP .303 BA and an OPS of .923. He is a superior hitter compared to Kong as well. With Abreu as a DH and Anderson in CF. Even with Kong gone I consider this an improvement on this team, offensively especially. He is a five tool player in his prime right now.

Heres and ESPN scouting report for those who want other opinions.

2004 Season

Bobby Abreu has begun to receive the national recognition that has eluded him for so much of his career. He made his first All-Star team and became the first Phillies player in more than a decade to win a Silver Slugger Award. He had the second 30-30 season of his career and batted over .300 for the sixth time in his last seven seasons. And yet there are still those who believe he has batting champion or Most Valuable Player-type potential that he still hasn't begun to tap.

Hitting

Part of the puzzle of Bobby Abreu is that he is such a talented hitter that he's hard to categorize. He can hit for power and probably could hit 40 homers if he was willing to sacrifice his batting average. He has said repeatedly, though, that his goal is to win a batting title. He's patient, walking 127 times in 2004 and boasting a .412 lifetime on-base percentage. He has a good knowledge of the strike zone with no obvious weaknesses. He hits fastballs and breaking balls equally well and doesn't give in against lefthanders.

Baserunning & Defense

Abreu made his greatest strides in the field in 2004. He'd always had a rap as a player who was an indifferent fielder at best, especially going toward the wall. But he worked on that aspect of his game and made several catches on the warning track. His 13 outfield assists attest to his strong throwing arm. His above-average speed helps him both in the field and on the basepaths. He employs a quick popup slide that sometimes fools umpires into calling him out when he's actually beaten the throw.

2005 Outlook

Abreu is entering the third season of a five-year, $64 million extension and has firmly established himself as one of the league's best all-around hitters. What's interesting is that some club officials, primarily general manager Ed Wade, still believe he can be even better.

Edited by RockRaines

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Nov 14, 2005 -> 04:48 PM)
Ummm, if the Phils were stupid enough to want A-row for Abreu I would hope KW pulls the trigger that instant. Abreu is a superior baseball player.  He has a career .411 OBP .303 BA and an OPS of .923.  He is a superior hitter compared to Kong as well.  With Abreu as a DH and Anderson in CF.  Even with Kong gone I consider this an improvement on this team, offensively especially.

i like what we have. we obviously arent going to agree. there is always the chance that abreu had a fluke year. it wouldnt be the last time something like this happened in baseball. then again i could be wrong.

QUOTE(bighurt2719 @ Nov 14, 2005 -> 04:50 PM)
i like what we have. we obviously arent going to agree. there is always the chance that abreu had a fluke year. it wouldnt be the last time something like this happened in baseball. then again i could be wrong.

Please tell me which year was a fluke?

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Nov 14, 2005 -> 04:48 PM)
Ummm, if the Phils were stupid enough to want A-row for Abreu I would hope KW pulls the trigger that instant. Abreu is a superior baseball player.  He has a career .411 OBP .303 BA and an OPS of .923.  He is a superior hitter compared to Kong as well.  With Abreu as a DH and Anderson in CF.  Even with Kong gone I consider this an improvement on this team, offensively especially. He is a five tool player in his prime right now.

Heres and ESPN scouting report for those who want other opinions.

2004 Season

Bobby Abreu has begun to receive the national recognition that has eluded him for so much of his career. He made his first All-Star team and became the first Phillies player in more than a decade to win a Silver Slugger Award. He had the second 30-30 season of his career and batted over .300 for the sixth time in his last seven seasons. And yet there are still those who believe he has batting champion or Most Valuable Player-type potential that he still hasn't begun to tap.

Hitting

Part of the puzzle of Bobby Abreu is that he is such a talented hitter that he's hard to categorize. He can hit for power and probably could hit 40 homers if he was willing to sacrifice his batting average. He has said repeatedly, though, that his goal is to win a batting title. He's patient, walking 127 times in 2004 and boasting a .412 lifetime on-base percentage. He has a good knowledge of the strike zone with no obvious weaknesses. He hits fastballs and breaking balls equally well and doesn't give in against lefthanders.

Baserunning & Defense

Abreu made his greatest strides in the field in 2004. He'd always had a rap as a player who was an indifferent fielder at best, especially going toward the wall. But he worked on that aspect of his game and made several catches on the warning track. His 13 outfield assists attest to his strong throwing arm. His above-average speed helps him both in the field and on the basepaths. He employs a quick popup slide that sometimes fools umpires into calling him out when he's actually beaten the throw.

2005 Outlook

Abreu is entering the third season of a five-year, $64 million extension and has firmly established himself as one of the league's best all-around hitters. What's interesting is that some club officials, primarily general manager Ed Wade, still believe he can be even better.

I like the way that sounds....lets get him and Kong...

QUOTE(jackie hayes @ Nov 14, 2005 -> 04:55 PM)
:lol:

Hey, if last year was a fluke and he's about to revert to 2004 form...I could handle that.

I cant figure out which year was a fluke. This year, where he produced better than pretty much all of OUR hitters, or the years before that, where he is one of the most consistent elite hitters in the game. I wouldnt mind his .411 OBP let me tell you.

QUOTE(tonyho7476 @ Nov 14, 2005 -> 04:52 PM)
I like the way that sounds....lets get him and Kong...

Oh man, dont tease me. If they were to do a trade for Abreu. You could debate whether to DH him or put him the field. If they kept everyone the same, resigned Kong but got rid of A-row and subed Anderson.

Pods

Gooch

Abreu

kong

Dye

AJP

Crede

Anderson

Uribe

Thats a better lineup than this year's folks.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Nov 14, 2005 -> 09:56 PM)
I cant figure out which year was a fluke.  This year, where he produced better than pretty much all of OUR hitters, or the years before that, where he is one of the most consistent elite hitters in the game.  I wouldnt mind his .411 OBP let me tell you.

Better question is whether anyone would care? Throw out 1 year out of the last 5, hell, throw out 2, take your pick -- and tell me what's left isn't one hell of a great hitter. Not that he's moving, but...

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Nov 14, 2005 -> 03:58 PM)
Oh man, dont tease me.  If they were to do a trade for Abreu.  You could debate whether to DH him or put him the field.  If they kept everyone the same, resigned Kong but got rid of A-row and subed Anderson.

Pods

Gooch

Abreu

kong

Dye

AJP

Crede

Anderson

Uribe

Thats a better lineup than this year's folks.

Keep in mind I don't think we have any shot at Abreu but if we were to get him and resign Kong that would challenge the Ortiz and Manny duo.

QUOTE(FGarcia34 @ Nov 14, 2005 -> 12:14 PM)
On Rotoworld there is an article about possible trades and here were the ones involving the White Sox:

Lyle Overbay - Brewers - Overbay is more likely to be traded than either Geoff Jenkins or Carlos Lee, but it looks like the Brewers are leaning towards keeping all three, at least until midseason. If they change their mind and deal Overbay, it’s not like they’d be risking everything on Prince Fielder being ready. They also have Corey Hart available to step in if Fielder falters. If they keep him now, the Brewers risk Overbay’s trade value declining as he gets more expensive.

Trade possibility: To White Sox for OF Chris Young and RHP Sean Tracey

Prediction: Stays

Jon Garland - White Sox - It’s the same deal with Garland. Assuming no extension with the White Sox is reached, he will have just turned 27 when he becomes eligible for free agency next winter. If the White Sox lose Paul Konerko to the Angels or another team, using Garland as bait would be the best way to replace him. The Diamondbacks have talent to spare and would probably be the top candidates to land him should something happen.

Trade possibility: To Phillies with C Francisco Hernandez for OF Bobby Abreu

Prediction: Stays

Hypothetically if these happened, which chances are they wont, this would majorly upgrade the White Sox offense.  Goodbye Paulie but hello 2 stud players one of which is a perennial All-star and one has a cool name.  But losing Jon seems out of the picture because we all know KW would not sacrifice pitching for hitting.  So unless the phillies would accept Aaron instead of Jon this will never happen.  But a guy can dream right.  :gosox3:

I throw up at the idea of a Chris Young and Sean Tracey deal for Overbay. Thanks but no thanks. I wouldn't deal Chris Young at least not for Lyle.

QUOTE(jackie hayes @ Nov 14, 2005 -> 05:01 PM)
Better question is whether anyone would care?  Throw out 1 year out of the last 5, hell, throw out 2, take your pick -- and tell me what's left isn't one hell of a great hitter.  Not that he's moving, but...

Dont get me all jazzed up about that, cause this site will turn to Abreutalk.com in a jiffy. But honestly, he is one player who doesnt get much media coverage, and totally deserves it. He is one of the best hitters in the game. There are few who match his OBP and OPS. In essence he is Magglio with more speed and a better arm.

Abreu would be an awesome pickup. However, the Phils aren't going to just give him up. But if you could get a 3rd team to enter into the equation with Rowand, Marte and a good to very good prospect or two going to a 3rd team (which will in turn send the Phils one more piece they want) than I think you could get something to meshe.

In fact, I think you could maybe turn a Rowand, Marte, Duque and good prospect or two (in a 3 team deal) for Abreu and a different left handed reliever (or something else that could help the Sox). Financially giving Duque in the deal will help the Sox take on some of Abreu's contract. The only thing is I really don't want to see Pods take over CF.

The main problem is I don't see the Phils dealing Abreu, but if they can't unload Thome, than this could be their only option.

QUOTE(southsideirish @ Nov 14, 2005 -> 05:31 PM)
Did anyone happen to mention that Abreu is Venezuelan? That makes it all the more a possibility.

Maybe we can get the Twins to give us Johan Santana for a couple of prospects. He's from Venezuela, that must mean that we're going to get him.

I am so sick of that line of reasoning, because it basically means nothing. Yes, we have a manager who is from Venezuela, and since he knows Freddy it made it easier to get him. But that doesn't suddenly mean that every latin player in the league is coming here. There's a big difference between actually knowing the manager and being from the same country.

Abreu is going to cost a ton of money, and probably more talent than we are suggesting. Plus, he has a no trade clause, which is another major obstacle. I wouldn't get too excited about Abreu in silver and black. That's a serious long shot.

QUOTE(jenksd @ Nov 14, 2005 -> 05:29 PM)
Actually, in X Box world you could get Abreu + a good lefty reliever straight up. Rowand is a stud in video games.

And only in X Box would anyone trade Carlos Lee for a .240 hitting Scott Podsednik......that is, until salary comes into the equation.

Look people, nowhere do I suggest that Rowand is of the same calibur of Abreu. But apparently the Phillies were willing to trade him for Vernon Wells for three reasons: one a salary dump, two they need a CF and three moving Abreu allows them to move Ryan Howard to RF.

The Jays turned that trade down because they did not want to take on that contract. Now as all you know-it-alls already know, in baseball when dealing a big contract player, the less of the contract you have to eat, the less in talent you expect in return, and vice versa.

What I maintain is that if the Sox are willing to take on Abreu's entire contract, they have a shot at getting him for Rowand. Rowand may not have as much power as Wells, but he's not chopped liver either.

Maybe the Phillies would turn it down, but it's not as far-fetched as some here are trying to make it seem.

Edited by South Side Fireworks Man

Hmm... seems like I've read all of these posts before... maybe like earlier in the thread. I don't think anyone is insinuating that just because Abreu is Venezuelan, he's coming to the Sox, only that it would possibly facilitate such a move more easily. But honestly, what hitter would say, "Hmm, I'm on this team this division that for the upteenth time in a row has been won by the Braves. I could move to another hitter friendly ballpark where all of my skills would be utilized, they just won the World Series, and I could speak in my native language all the time. Sounds great, but I just love these pinkish jerseys... it's the new black you know."

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Nov 14, 2005 -> 10:18 PM)
The main problem is I don't see the Phils dealing Abreu, but if they can't unload Thome, than this could be their only option.

Both Thome and Abreu have no-trade clauses. Getting a team to take on thome and to who he'll accept a trade to would be more difficult

QUOTE(South Side Fireworks Man @ Nov 14, 2005 -> 06:24 PM)
And only in X Box would anyone trade Carlos Lee for a .240 hitting Scott Podsednik......that is, until salary comes into the equation.

And only in X Box would the .240 hitting Scott Podsednik bat .350 with 25 home runs and 145 stolen bases.

QUOTE(TheHammer @ Nov 14, 2005 -> 11:40 PM)
if we did somehow get Abreu for Rowand I would say the best defensive option for us would be to put him in left, Anderson in center, and DH Pods.

when will everyone stop trying to put pods/iguchi in DH role?

hellloooooooooo

when will everyone stop trying to put pods/iguchi in DH role?

hellloooooooooo

Not that we're going to get Abreu for Rowand and Marte but what's wrong with that idea? You could swap Pods and Abreu at the DH and left field position. Both could stay healthier that way and Pods' legs would stay fresher. You get the offensive production from both players either way. And I'd rather have Abreu's arm in left field more often than Pods' weak arm.