Biggest dump in the majors

timotime

The biggest dump in the bigs is...  

143 members have voted

1. 1. The biggest dump in the bigs is...

• Twinkie Dome
    • Tiger Stadium
    • US Cellular (shame on you if you vite this one)
    • Tropicana Field
    • Shea Stadium
    • Yankee Stadium

QUOTE(timotime @ Nov 16, 2005 -> 03:33 PM)
are you all serious? i used to live in detroit, and still have many friends there. the city should be a-bombed and rebuilt. it's terrible. its my least favorite downtown of all downtowns.

im not slamming the stadium. just cause i put it on the list doesnt mean i hate it. its just an option for someone to choose.

also im talking about downtown in general, not the immediate area around comerica. that specific area is notorius for crime, however, i know that for a fact.

just my personal experience. sorry if i offended anyone.

Just asking- Is your last name Maloof by any chance? :lolhitting

I haven't been to any of the parks in the poll except the Cell. From TV, I hate watching games played in the Hump-dome and Tropicana. They're soulless places.

This is fun, though. I've been to-

US Cellular

Old Comiskey

Wrigley

Miller Park (and liked it a lot)

Pro Player Stadium (lousy baseball stadium)

Rogers Centre (called SkyDome at the time)

SBC Park (Formerly PacBell) (This one gets an asterisk because no game was going on at the time)

In 2001, I was all set to see the White Sox play the Yankees at Yankee Stadium, but the game was not played. I'll have to go back sometime.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Steff @ Nov 16, 2005 -> 03:50 PM)
They need to try harder then. When we were there in August it was disgusting.

I agree that Fenway was very dirty, seats hard to sit in and the bathrooms were awful but my most disappointing experience of Fenway was they actually did the wave when I was there. BOO!!!! :D Yankee stadium was pretty dirty too...but way too cool to call a dump. (i.e. Monument Park) But nonetheless, I enjoyed both of the parks and would definitely recommend both to any baseball fan to visit at least once.

Back to the post, I voted for Hump dome although I have never been there, domes and baseball do not do it for me. Baseball not played on real grass is a travesty. Also the place is hard to play in and I have heard stories of the Twinkies trying to cheat in there with fans blowing and whatnot.

QUOTE(BFirebird @ Nov 16, 2005 -> 05:11 PM)
I agree that Fenway was very dirty, seats hard to sit in and the bathrooms were awful but my most disappointing experience of Fenway was they actually did the wave when I was there.  BOO!!!! 

We hate it too

then we have Sweet Caroline to explain :P

I really don't feel capable of voting, since my experience of ballparks outside of Chicago is limited. Here are my (limited) thoughts, however...

The Cell: pre-renovation, it was "average"...nothing great, but nothing abhorrent either. Several worse venues than this one. With renovation, more than "okay."

The Urinal: way-overhyped, but not the worst either...have to say that the "social" experience has been good for me, even as I detested everything "Cub."

Fenway: never saw the inside, but was utterly unimpressive with the outside and its environs. Taught me a HUGE lesson about how the media (i.e., East Coast) creates these "fables" that are in essence "myths." :puke

Dodge Stadium: was, er, privileged to see a playoff game there in the mid-80s. Thought I was in heaven, even though I am in no way a fan, because of the "historic" opportunity...then, the 7th inning came, and everybody left!!! I was shocked beyond belief. Of course, as I waited in the car AFTER the game actually was completed for two + hours, I knew I was indeed in L.A.

Coors Field looked cool and Denver is definitely very cool.

The Ol' Candlestick Park would have had to be on a list of all-time bad venues. God, was it frickin' cold there once the sun set!

LAA: fine...nice aesthetically, but kinda "soul-less."

I hate to make this into a discussion about Detroit, but I will anway. I live in Michigan, have my whole life. Do I want to move, hell yes. But is Detroit as bad as it's rep--I don't think so.

The City sucks, I would never live there, but I know many great people from the Detroit Suburbs, yes, I'm white and middle class, but whatever.

Detroit is a symptom of greater economic and social change in America: away from manufacturing and towards conservatism. Wage cuts due to pressure abroad has gutted the middle class blue collar worker, which used to a symbol of Detroit's luxury. "White Flight", has gutted the cities tax revenue, not to mention taken many of it's best minds (not being racist, this is just a fact, I don't think minorities are "inherently" less smart) away.

All that being said, the Detroit downtown is way, way better than 5 years ago. Yea, there is still crime, still very grey, very abandoned buildings, but improved is the operative word here. The NYTIMES recently ran a piece on the rising cost of real esate in the metro area, while the next day a piece ran lamenting other problems the city faces.

I think, to care about Detroit, and to accurately face it's problems is a major step in realizing that big cities across the country are failing, many for the same reasons as Detroit. I don't think the problem is terminal, as the rebirth of downtown D-town shows.

wow, off my drunk soapbox

QUOTE(chitownsportsfan @ Nov 16, 2005 -> 10:17 PM)
As a side note, my father, who is way more knowledgable about stadiums than I am, has said that his trip to Pacbell was the best stadium he's every experienced.

I'm curious to here if anyone else has been there, and what they have to say about it.

AMAZING. Definately ranks tops on my list. Petco, Camden and the Jake are next on my list.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Nov 16, 2005 -> 10:35 PM)
Do Dodger fans really all leave in the 7th inning.  If thats true they have to be one of the worse fanbases in all of baseball no matter how many show up at the begining.

If they are losing yes, if they are winning no. They still draw 3.6 million fans so the fan base is strong. They usually arrive a little late and West Coast fans tend to leave the game when their team is trailing.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Nov 17, 2005 -> 01:35 AM)
Do Dodger fans really all leave in the 7th inning.  If thats true they have to be one of the worse fanbases in all of baseball no matter how many show up at the begining.

YES. As I said in my post, I was treated to a playoff game there in '85(?), and by the 7th inning in a close game (I think the Dodgers were ahead 4-2), the place was emptying out. I would say that the stadium was about 30% empty by the end of the game. :fight

That being said, it took two hours for the traffic to clear out of the parking lot after the game. Typically horrific L.A. congestion. :chair

QUOTE(chitownsportsfan @ Nov 17, 2005 -> 12:17 AM)
As a side note, my father, who is way more knowledgable about stadiums than I am, has said that his trip to Pacbell was the best stadium he's every experienced.

I'm curious to here if anyone else has been there, and what they have to say about it.

Awesome.. on my top 5 easily.

Am I the only one here who didn't really like Miller Park? I've been to a few games there and never had a good experience. I feel like the bleachers in left field are way to high off the field. Than with the rotating windows and retractable roof I just don't feel like I am at a baseball game. It had a bunch of cool ammenities I thought, but the atmosphere wasn't that of a baseball game. That was just my problem with it, although Miller Park and the Cell have it right in promoting tailgating before the games.

Wrigley Field is dirty and old but not an awful place to see a game (been to probably 50 games there but never have sat in the bleachers so don't know what that is like).

Tropicana is a piece of s*** stadium. Went there a few years back, never plan on doing that again.

Camden Yards is still my favorite all time stadium. Just awesome set up right on the pier in Baltimore (right?) and great design for a stadium.

I am a huge fan of the Cell and whenever any of my Cubs fan friends try to insult it it gets me going. There really isn't a bad seat in the place, and the renovations they have done since becoming the Cell has made it a great atmosphere. Plus they have the best food in the MLB.

Pacbell is the one stadium above all else that I want to go to. Whenever I watch a Giants game on TV that place just looks awesome. I was at the SF v CWS game a few years back when Bonds hit that 460 foot shot, I'd just love to see that at Pacbell and see it just clear the stadium and drop in the drink.

I've always that Kauffman looks nice, anyone have any experience with that?

QUOTE(Fenway @ Nov 17, 2005 -> 10:12 AM)
I don't know where you were in the park in August but generally the pace has been very clean since the new owners took over

DSCF0020.JPG

gateb.jpg

DSCF0019.JPG

I was in comp'd tickets behind home plate. The bathrooms were sick, the "concourse" was a nasty mess, the vendors were unorganized, the grazing area outside was filthy.

Don't get me started on the seats themselves.

It's a s***hole.

MO.

QUOTE(Steff @ Nov 17, 2005 -> 11:19 AM)
I was in comp'd tickets behind home plate. The bathrooms were sick, the "concourse" was a nasty mess, the vendors were unorganized, the grazing area outside was filthy.

Don't get me started on the seats themselves.

It's a s***hole.

MO.

ahhh the infamous Section 18 upper grandstand seats that are used for comps since they don't sell season tickets there as those seats are used as a press box during the post season. Those ARE the among the worst seats in the park because of the overhang, screen, and the crowded concession areas behind those seats.

The wooden grandstand seats are not nice if you more than 5'8" and 150 lbs. It is something they refuse to address and I suspect it is because putting in plastic seats would reduce the number of seats per row.

Fenway overall is still better than 1060 West Addison.

QUOTE(Fenway @ Nov 17, 2005 -> 10:48 AM)
ahhh the infamous Section 18 upper grandstand seats that are used for comps since they don't sell season tickets there as those seats are used as a press box during the post season. Those ARE the among the worst seats in the park because of the overhang, screen, and the crowded concession areas behind those seats.

The wooden grandstand seats are not nice if you more than 5'8" and 150 lbs. It is something they refuse to address and I suspect it is because putting in plastic seats would reduce the number of seats per row.

Fenway overall is still better than 1060 West Addison.

Wrong. I was in the red seats on Saturday and the ones right behind them on Sunday in front of the poles in the 2nd row.

And it wasn't just about the seats. The entire place was s***... again - for the third time... in my opinion.

QUOTE(Steff @ Nov 17, 2005 -> 11:50 AM)
Wrong. I was in the red seats on Saturday and the ones right behind them on Sunday in front of the poles in the 2nd row.

And it wasn't just about the seats. The entire place was s***... again - for the third time... in my opinion.

I'm sorry you had a bad experience. Try Yankee Stadium sometime.

Believe me I wanted the new Fenway Park after seeing Camden Yards but now it won't happen. Fenway has become a theme park.

fenway_illustrated2.gif

bosbpk01.jpg

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Nov 17, 2005 -> 12:35 AM)

do all sox fans really attack umpires?

QUOTE(timotime @ Nov 16, 2005 -> 05:59 PM)
since ive never been there, i am asking:

what is it about HHH Dome that is bad? ive only heard it's crappy, never why. id assume because of the studpid wall in the outfield, the echoes, the artificialness of it.

I've been there twice in the last 2 yrs for Bears/Vikings and while the seating area is ok (No obstructed views), the sound system is terrible, the bathrooms were small and scarce and there is no room to walk on the backstreet alley they call a concourse....The carney-like atmosphere outside the Dome before the game is pretty neat but then you hafta to go inside that dump :puke

QUOTE(tonyho7476 @ Nov 17, 2005 -> 04:31 PM)
Note to self...holiday gift ideas for Steff...Road trip to Fenway and Shea... :bang

Fenway is the best MLB stadium east of the Hudson River :)

The 3 worst parks I was ever in have been retired.

Stade Olympique in Montreal and The Mistake on the Lake in Cleveland and The Vet in South Philadelphia.

I have been told that the Kingdome was the worst of them all.