Bob Nightengale: Sox Tell Phills They Want Thome

Wealz

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Nov 16, 2005 -> 04:32 PM)
From the sounds of it the Sox aren't waiting on Thome.  They'd jump on him and hope the Konerko situation worked itself out.  The last thing the white Sox want to do is have Konerko walk and have zero options at 1st and DH.  If that happens opposing GM's have all the bargaining power because they know the Sox are desperate.

Kenny acts now and he gets better value and based on the quotes thats exactly what he plans to do.  I expect the Sox to make a large move by the end of the Winter meetings.

You make an excellent point. But, I have been one of those consitently expecting a very similar 2005/2006 payroll.

Anyway you cut it, that would mean a major jump in payroll, yes? Unless, of course, some Sox player with a larger contract is included in the deal--and spitballing, I can't come up with that scenario.

Not probable. Not impossible. But, not probable.

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Nov 16, 2005 -> 02:36 PM)
You make an excellent point.  But, I have been one of those consitently expecting a very similar 2005/2006 payroll. 

Anyway you cut it, that would mean a major jump in payroll, yes?  Unless, of course, some Sox player with a larger contract is included in the deal--and spitballing, I can't come up with that scenario.

Not probable.  Not impossible.  But, not probable.

As far as I'm concerned the 2006 minimum payroll will be 85 million and If the Sox are able to get a deal for Delgado/Thome (ie, one that makes sense in terms of players given up) you'll see the payroll allowed to go closer to 90 million.

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Nov 16, 2005 -> 04:33 PM)
Neither here nor there.  Simply stating expecting both in the same lineup is not realistic.

That's up for an entirely different debate.

Why is it not realistic? Kenny is probably going to try and get a deal done for a backup plan to Paul right away, that way he has leverage in a deal to bring another big bat in. We have enough money to get both of them in the same lineup, it's possible.

QUOTE(Steff @ Nov 16, 2005 -> 03:57 PM)
Good grief.. soon the entire Indians squad will have passed through our doors.

Also.. I'm gonna get some details on his work ethic, clubhouse persona, etc.  just in case this holds some water.

From all of my experiences with him, his is a good guy to be around. He tends to be quiet but very much a good clubhouse guy.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Nov 16, 2005 -> 04:38 PM)
As far as I'm concerned the 2006 minimum payroll will be 85 million and If the Sox are able to get a deal for Delgado/Thome (ie, one that makes sense in terms of players given up) you'll see the payroll allowed to go closer to 90 million.

Ok, well, the debate ends here. :cheers

I believe you will not see the payroll increased nearly to that degree...and certainly not $90M.

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Nov 16, 2005 -> 10:28 PM)
Alright, let's pull it in just a little bit.

Do NOT expect to see both Konerko and Thome etched in the same 2006 lineup together on the Southside of Chicago.

Thome would be a member of the Pale Hose, if, and only if, Konerko's contract demand can not be met, or the Sox wish to part ways with Paulie.  You will not be seeing both in the same lineup...at least not in Black and Silver.

Why is this? If the Phillies eat half of his contract then we are only paying just over 7 million a year. That's less than what Thomas made last year. Plus, Kenny has already said one of his top priorities is to add a left-handed bat. This move would kill two birds with one stone.

If this all goes through with PK and Thome, I guess that puts the big "Kabash" on any chance of keeping all of us Frank Thomas fans happy next year. Pk at first, plus Thome at DH equals a bye bye Frank. I guess we'll just have to wait and see what happens. We go through all this speculation stuff every year, and then KW pulls some sort of unexpected rabbit out of his hat that no one even saw coming.

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Nov 16, 2005 -> 04:36 PM)
You make an excellent point.  But, I have been one of those consitently expecting a very similar 2005/2006 payroll.

Remember, they made money in 2004 which they put back into the 2005 payroll. Last year, not only did attendance increase by 20%, but ticket prices increased by about 25% Factor in the post-season run and increase in 2006 season ticket sales, I wouldn't be surprised if the payroll went from $75M to around $95M.

QUOTE(SouthSide2004 @ Nov 16, 2005 -> 04:42 PM)
Why is this?  If the Phillies eat half of his contract then we are only paying just over 7 million a year.  That's less than what Thomas made last year.  Plus, Kenny has already said one of his top priorities is to add a left-handed bat.  This move would kill two birds with one stone.

Cas some people on this board aren't smart enough to realize that and just think a move would be "too big" for the White Sox. And I'm seen as a pessimist around here, ha.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Nov 16, 2005 -> 05:59 PM)
Cas some people on this board aren't smart enough to realize that and just think a move would be "too big" for the White Sox. And I'm seen as a pessimist around here, ha.

Well, you have to admit, it feels a bit too Griffey.

Edited by RockRaines

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Nov 16, 2005 -> 05:01 PM)
Well, you have to admit, it feels a bit too Griffey.

Griffey felt a bit too Griffey. Same with Chavez. Thome seems doable because Philly already has someone to fill his position, are willing to eat a big part of the contract and want to trade him.

Speaking of Griff, I wonder if he's on the market now that the Reds have new ownership.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Nov 16, 2005 -> 05:05 PM)
Speaking of Griff, I wonder if he's on the market now that the Reds have new ownership.

That seemed like a pretty logical choice for a dh if any of these other moves couldn't take place, just revisit the deal that was going to happen last summer. I think Kenny wants a first baseman though just in case of Pauly, and if PK comes back then the other man can dh.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Nov 16, 2005 -> 05:10 PM)
That seemed like a pretty logical choice for a dh if any of these other moves couldn't take place, just revisit the deal that was going to happen last summer.  I think Kenny wants a first baseman though just in case of Pauly, and if PK comes back then the other man can dh.

Yeah, I would figure that would be the logic. Try to get a natural 1B/DH and if that doesn't work out, maybe they'll revisit the deal.

With Thome's no-trade clause, the Phils will have to get whatever they can for him because few other teams will be willing or able to take on his contract AND be team that Thome wants to play for. If the Phils eat a lot of his contract, he's very, very affordable. And wouldn't affect the sox ability to re-sign PK

A deal centered around Marte and El Duque could be very plausible. Who th ePhils get isn't as important is leaving a spot open for Howard to play and getting some salary relief.

If he can put up 2004 type numbers, he'd make the sox offense better.

QUOTE(Steff @ Nov 16, 2005 -> 05:40 PM)
I'm in no way, shape, or form suggesting he's NOT a good guy.. just want to get a perspective from someone without a microphone or tv camera in their face talking about their teammate.

Didn't think you were, and I know you have the means to find that perspective. Just thought it was a nice article on the guy.

:cheers

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Nov 16, 2005 -> 04:59 PM)

Settle down there, young one.

It ain't happening.

Plug your X-Box in and trade for whoever you want to. It's really amazing. You can put anyone you want on the Sox. Go for it. Throw common sense to the wind.

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Nov 16, 2005 -> 05:54 PM)
Settle down there, young one.

It ain't happening.

Plug your X-Box in and trade for whoever you want to.  It's really amazing.  You can put anyone you want on the Sox.  Go for it.  Throw common sense to the wind.

I don't own an Xbox. But you're right. Seems like an Xbox trade. Maybe KW and Gillick own an Xbox though because they seem to be talking trade.

If we're giving up Duque and Marte in a deal with Philly (with their combined $6.75 mil 2006 salary), I wouldn't count on the Phils also eating half of Thome's salary. I consider Duque basically a salary dump. But if they were to pick up $5 mil (using most of maggsmaggs numbers from another thread)...

Starters:

C AJP- $3.5

1B Kong-$14

2B Tad-$2.4

3B Crede-$2.5

SS Uribe-$3.15

LF Pods-$1.9

CF ARow-$3

RF Dye-$5

DH Thome-$10

Bench:

Widge-$.65

Ozuna-$.50

Anderson-$.35

Frank-$3.0

Harris-$.40

SP:

Buehrle-$7.75

Count-$6 (Yanks still picking up $2?)

Freddy-$9

Gar-$6

Bmac-$.35

RP:

Jenks-$.35

Cotts-$.40

Clifford-$1.2

Hermanson-$3.0

Viz-$1.5

FA lefty-$2.5

Jurassic and Frank buyouts: $4

Total:$92.4

Would Frank come back in this role? Would they take him back? Probably not. So swap in Gload at $.5 and the payroll sits at $90 mil. A bit of a stretch, but realistic. It's amazing what a value the Sox bullpen is.

The Phillies know beyond a shadow of a doubt that they will need to eat a lot of Thome's contract in order to unload him, and more if they want to get something in return. Therefore...if we are first in line with a quality package...I would not be surprised if they jump on it. Especially with new management in place.

This does fit in well with the KW vs. Eyre reports...Marte on the Phillies would make sense, and Thome (if healthy) would be a great fit on our club...especially if Konerko were still around (just dreaming)