Bob Nightengale: Sox Tell Phills They Want Thome

Wealz

QUOTE(Frank the Tank 35 @ Nov 16, 2005 -> 05:36 PM)
Wouldn't any deal for Thome be precluded by a clean bill of health?  One that I'm assuming will not be readily available for some time (spring training even?).  He's gotta prove that he can play otherwise he's just as big if not a bigger risk than bringing back Frank.

I think Thome is right around 100% right now. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the problem/concern with Thome is multi-fold...first that he has of late had a tendency to come up with multiple nagging injuries which inhibit his performance during a season, and secondly that he also has some problems, like issues with his back, which may not simply be correctable by time on the DL.

"But we have to make plans to protect ourselves. And if we can get Paul back, too, it'll make us that much stronger." - KW

so... sorry addison and others on here who think its road a or road b.... williams seems to be looking to acuire thome and bring paulie back.

QUOTE(hi8is @ Nov 16, 2005 -> 06:01 PM)
"But we have to make plans to protect ourselves. And if we can get Paul back, too, it'll make us that much stronger." - KW

so... sorry addison and others on here who think its road a or road b.... williams seems to be looking to acuire thome and bring paulie back.

If Thome was healthy...oh jesus christ...wow...

Who gives a f*** about the speed...

Podsednik

Iguchi

Konerko

Thome

Dye

Pierzynski

Rowand

Crede

Uribe

Wow...that's a hell of a lineup...and if Rowand, AJ, Crede, Uribe could take a step forwards next year...good golly.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Nov 16, 2005 -> 07:39 PM)
I think Thome is right around 100% right now.  Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

The rehab for the surgery is about 8-9 months. I can't recall when he had surgery but that is a good estimate. This time frame is for throwing, he should be able to hit sooner, depnding on the physician protocol.

of course, its all a part of the media whirll wind... put anything out there to up the value....

btw: it was the phillies trainer who said thome is in the best condition hes been in the last 3 - 4 years.

who knows, i do know that the sox will look into his health big time

so no conserns from me.

QUOTE(The Ginger Kid @ Nov 17, 2005 -> 02:38 AM)
Thome's great but the Sox don't need the power bat. They need more speed. I pray KW doesn't give up pitching if this deal goes through. Let's not forget why the Sox won the WS.

none of the starting 5 are going anywhere... no matter what you hear... they arent moving.

Those words sound like they were carefully chosen, ie not specifically addressing the elbow. He had his surgery on August 16 and this article "http://philadelphia.phillies.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20050819&content_id=1176124&vkey=news_phi&fext=.jsp&c_id=phi" states that it's believed that a full recovery would take 3-5 months. Today is the 3 month mark, so theoretically he could be all good to go. Could interested teams have an audition of sorts like the one Maggs put on for the Tigers?

QUOTE(The Ginger Kid @ Nov 16, 2005 -> 06:38 PM)
Thome's great but the Sox don't need the power bat. They need more speed. I pray KW doesn't give up pitching if this deal goes through. Let's not forget why the Sox won the WS.

If KW does give up pitching...he'll be giving up pitching at the same time as the phillies will be paying an enormous chunk of that contract in order to get the pitching...thereby making it so that we can afford more pitching down the line.

If KW can pull something like this off...I just hope he can get it done soon, just so that we don't find ourselves scrambling late in the market (i.e. the Cubs last year)

QUOTE(hi8is @ Nov 16, 2005 -> 06:39 PM)
none of the starting 5 are going anywhere... no matter what you hear... they arent moving.

Assuming by "Starting 5" you're including Brandon instead of El Duque...yeah I agree with you...I'm just not sure it's the right decision...but that's where I have to say that KW has earned just a little bit o' trust to go along with his allowing me to buy a sh*t load of merchandise this offseason.

Oh and BTW, does anybody remember last offseason when KW said Duque was in the best condition he's ever seen, etc etc... then Duque made a couple trips to the DL. Not exactly the same type of situation I realize, but it's good to be cautious. Thome would be an awesome addition if healthy, don't get me wrong.

Yup -- let's not forget.

Homeruns, pitching, and defense.

I'm trying to think of games we won in the postseason without the aid of a homer. The World Series Game 4 clincher, obviously, any others? The Buehrle/Washburn game, maybe?

QUOTE(Frank the Tank 35 @ Nov 16, 2005 -> 06:45 PM)
Oh and BTW, does anybody remember last offseason when KW said Duque was in the best condition he's ever seen, etc etc... then Duque made a couple trips to the DL.  Not exactly the same type of situation I realize, but it's good to be cautious.  Thome would be an awesome addition if healthy, don't get me wrong.

Having played around with Google a little bit...I'm not sure that was KW saying that.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Nov 17, 2005 -> 02:43 AM)
If KW does give up pitching...he'll be giving up pitching at the same time as the phillies will be paying an enormous chunk of that contract in order to get the pitching...thereby making it so that we can afford more pitching down the line.

If KW can pull something like this off...I just hope he can get it done soon, just so that we don't find ourselves scrambling late in the market (i.e. the Cubs last year)

that the sox have only a few needs to fill, they should be able to get things done rather quickly. Then, if they need to move to fill PK's shoes, they aren't scrambling late. If they do a Thome deal, my guess is it would be pretty soon near the GM meetings in in early Dec.

They could use someone else with speed for sure near the top of the lineup, esp. if Pods went down. But the sox also need an RBI guy [at DH to replace CArl] who has a high OBP--Thome fits that bill with a lot of power.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Nov 16, 2005 -> 08:48 PM)
Yup -- let's not forget.

Homeruns, pitching, and defense.

I'm trying to think of games we won in the postseason without the aid of a homer.  The World Series Game 4 clincher, obviously, any others?  The Buehrle/Washburn game, maybe?

Game 4 and ya game 2 of the alcs. Those games we manufactured a run to win, that was one reason why this team was so special if we weren't able to homer we found a way to scrape across another run. I'd like to add more speed somehow but there just isn't any room. Get me a good dh, and get Paul back and I think all of us would be satisfied.

The market for Thome is very limited due to his contract, injury, and most importantly his no-trade clause. With his elbow you can pretty much rule out the Mets and Red Sox (Ortiz isn't going to play the field.) I'd say the the Angels are a longshot too because I think it would make sense for them to keep the DH spot open in case Vlad will need it one of these years.

All that taken into consideration maybe they can get him for Hernandez and Marte. In that exchange of salaries the Sox would be taking on about $39M over 3 years.

QUOTE(Wealz @ Nov 17, 2005 -> 03:12 AM)
The market for Thome is very limited due to his contract, injury, and most importantly his no-trade clause.  With his elbow you can pretty much rule out the Mets and Red Sox (Ortiz isn't going to play the field.)  I'd say the the Angels are a longshot too because I think it would make sense for them to keep the DH spot open in case Vlad will need it one of these years.

That's the key--looking at other possible trading partners. Not many out there who'd want him at 1b. DH only.

Ummmm something i dont think anyone has pointed out yet.  But I DO believe that Thome is the most dangerous opposing team hitter who has ever played at the Cell.  At least one of the most dangerous, I think he has hit the most Hr's there by an opposing hitter, i could be wrong, and im not going to look it up but I think its around 18

Haha, so true man. Everyone thought we would be done with his raping of us at the Cell when he left the Indians. Then he hits 4 homers against us in that 3 game interleague series with the Phillies at the Cell in 2004. :bang

If Thome was healthy...oh jesus christ...wow...

Who gives a f*** about the speed...

Podsednik

Iguchi

Konerko

Thome

Dye

Pierzynski

Rowand

Crede

Uribe

Wow...that's a hell of a lineup...and if Rowand, AJ, Crede, Uribe could take a step forwards next year...good golly.

Thome would bat third and Konerko would bat fourth. We would have our own version of the Bash Brothers, the extremely slow and pudgy Bash Brothers that is. :bang

No, we need a good hitter that will take a walk. We need a #3 hitter, preferably a lefty. Even if we re-sign Konerko, he's not a true #3 hitter. Neither is Dye. And Frank can't stay healthy enough to fill the hole and be depended on.

Edited by SSH2005