Prospects for Players

OldSox2

QUOTE(WinninUgly @ Nov 26, 2005 -> 07:52 PM)
Most teams that stay put actually get worse because other teams around them get better (KC is the exception). 

Also, even the best teams in the league have weaknesses or areas they can improve on.  The Sox won a ton of games by 2 runs or less, but I am sure for Ozzie's sake that KW wants to make some of those 3-4 run wins compared to the 1 run nail bitters of 2005.

while looking at the trade and i will say this again, i can see the reasoning of it, it is my opinion that gio's talents if fully reach will come back and bite us.

lets hope thome and co can put us in the playoff again.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(kramer99 @ Nov 26, 2005 -> 10:08 PM)
I think sometimes u guys may forget that we werent the only team actively after thome...so Phillie did have some leveridge to pry good prospects from the sox. Im sure the rest of you guys would rather keep the two lefties who have not proven anything and allowed the Indians to pick up a great veteran who can hit 40 homeruns and lead them to a 2006 AL centrak division Championship...

Oh and theres no guarentee we will sign Konerko...so without thome our middle of the lineip would be rowand- AJ- DYE...not much of a threat if u ask me! :gosoxretro:

all too true, was cle really in the running for thome?

QUOTE(LDF @ Nov 26, 2005 -> 10:14 PM)
did you forget the royce clayton trade?

who'd we give up for clayton again? Nobody worth mentioning anymore...just like clayton isn't worth mentioning anymore...like i said, theres only been one trade where the other team clearly got the better of us, well, two...

Ritchie

Foulke - koch is abominable, but at least we got one of the best lefty setup men in the bizzzz now.

Durham - jon adkins... the summer of 02 def. sucked...we had tons of salary dumps with nothing in return...

but i think the past 3 years, KW has done enough positive trades to earn his respect...

Don't lose too much sleep over trading prosepects. There are a hand full of can't miss guys like Prior or Mauer who everybody knows, but the rest are a crap shoot. I have the Retrosheet dB through 2004 (2005 isn't out yet) and here is every player the Sox drafted who played for anyone in 2004. Obviously this doesn't include Latin American Fa signings but I think it shows just how much the odds are against any given young player.

First Last teamIDto date draftRound
James Baldwin CHA 6/4/1990 4
Rocky Biddle CHA 6/3/1997 1
Brian Boehringer CHA 6/3/1991 4
Joe Borchard CHA 6/5/2000 1
Joe Borowski CHA 6/5/1989 32
Chad Bradford CHA 6/4/1996 13
Mark Buehrle CHA 6/2/1998 38
Mike Cameron CHA 6/3/1991 18
Joe Crede CHA 6/4/1996 5
Brendan Donnelly CHA 6/1/1992 27
Ray Durham CHA 6/4/1990 5
Josh Fogg CHA 6/2/1998 3
Matt Ginter CHA 6/2/1999 1
Buddy Groom CHA 6/2/1987 12
Mark L. Johnson CHA 6/2/1994 1
Alan Levine CHA 6/3/1991 11
Jeff Liefer CHA 6/1/1995 1
Frank Menechino CHA 6/3/1993 45
Aaron Myette CHA 6/3/1997 1
Greg Norton CHA 6/3/1993 2
Josh Paul CHA 6/4/1996 2
Jon Rauch CHA 6/2/1999 3
Aaron Rowand CHA 6/2/1998 1
Bobby Seay CHA 6/4/1996 1
Frank Thomas CHA 6/5/1989 1
Chris Tremie CHA 6/1/1992 39
Robin Ventura CHA 6/1/1988 1
Kip Wells CHA 6/2/1998 1
Bob Wickman CHA 6/4/1990 2
Dan Wright CHA 6/2/1999 2

If you are not impressed I agree. But the Sox are actually pretty good, here is how many players each team drafted that played in '04 and how many played on the team that drafted them.

TeamID CountOfnameLast SameTeam
ANA 25 4
ARI 9 2
ATL 22 4
BAL 30 10
BOS 29 4
CHA 30 7
CHN 21 5
CIN 25 6
CLE 27 4
COL 15 5
DET 19 5
FLO 12 2
HOU 22 8
KCA 27 11
LAN 25 5
MIL 15 3
MIN 30 10
MON 28 8
NYA 26 2
NYN 24 4
OAK 22 6
PHI 22 7
PIT 19 6
SDN 17 5
SEA 27 7
SFN 23 3
SLN 29 6
TBA 11 5
TEX 30 5
TOR 33 8

Edit, some of the batters didn't show.

Edited by TLAK

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Nov 26, 2005 -> 11:22 PM)
Do you really miss Aaron Myette and Brian Schmack?  :huh:

i really don't care about that. it was the idea of royce being a cancer and was so disruptive. he went against alot of people advice and traded for him.

QUOTE(Cerbaho-WG @ Nov 25, 2005 -> 11:50 PM)
Franklin Francisco, Anthony Webster and Josh Rupe weren't as good at the time as Gio? Please stop talking like you know an iota about the farm system.

Sorry. I was talking about the guys we gave up for Everett in the second trade for him. We gave up relief pitcher Majewski (sp) and one other guy.

I hated the first trade for Everett, and said so on this board. We gave up way too much. That said, I do know a bit about the Farm System, partly because of this board.

I wouldn't mind trading Pierre to you. I'd rather have Brian Anderson than anything the Cubs are offering, but at the same time the prospects we get from the Cubs are presumably going to be used to throw at Cincy and TB for Mo Pena and Gathright. But Brian Anderson intrigues me, I know he is good but was wondering where he fit in the future plans of the White Sox and just how valueable he is to you guys.

QUOTE(OldSox2 @ Nov 26, 2005 -> 04:03 PM)
Sorry.  I was talking about the guys we gave up for Everett in the second trade for him.  We gave up relief pitcher Majewski (sp) and one other guy.

I hated the first trade for Everett, and said so on this board.  We gave up way too much.  That said, I do know a bit about the Farm System, partly because of this board.

Its kind of funny though. Majewski is the best guy Kenny has given up the past couple years (in the sense of what they are doing in the major league level). I'm talking about prospects so I'm not counting C. Lee.

Majewski did a good job in his 1st full season out of the Nats pen.

QUOTE(LDF @ Nov 26, 2005 -> 05:48 PM)
i really don't care about that. it was the idea of royce being a cancer and was so disruptive. he went against alot of people advice and traded for him.

Have you noticed the detail kenny goes into now to 'check out' a guy's clubhouse demeanor before he acquires him? Pierzynski basically had to talk Kenny into signing him by convincing him the 'clubhouse cancer' label tagged on him was hogwash. That Clayton trade may have been what laid the foundation for Kenny putting so much emphasis on 'quality' people in the clubhouse.

Once bitten, twice shy.

QUOTE(LDF @ Nov 26, 2005 -> 04:15 PM)
while looking at the trade and i will say this again, i can see the reasoning of it, it is my opinion that gio's talents if fully reach will come back and bite us.

lets hope thome and co can put us in the playoff again.

It is my opinion that if Gio's talents don't 'fully reach' it will not come back to haunt us.

Hence, the reason why prospects are a crap shoot.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Nov 27, 2005 -> 08:18 AM)
Its kind of funny though.  Majewski is the best guy Kenny has given up the past couple years (in the sense of what they are doing in the major league level).  I'm talking about prospects so I'm not counting C. Lee. 

Majewski did a good job in his 1st full season out of the Nats pen.

And Majewski was a rule 5 guy a few times, IIRC, which means teams could have picked him for peanuts.

All in all, the players the sox have traded the past few years haven't done much. The sox have had the better of these trades. The players the sox have received have far outperformed those they've given up.

QUOTE(MarlinFan84 @ Nov 27, 2005 -> 01:58 AM)
I wouldn't mind trading Pierre to you.  I'd rather have Brian Anderson than anything the Cubs are offering, but at the same time the prospects we get from the Cubs are presumably going to be used to throw at Cincy and TB for Mo Pena and Gathright.  But Brian Anderson intrigues me, I know he is good but was wondering where he fit in the future plans of the White Sox and just how valueable he is to you guys.

Brian Anderson is the reason why Aaron Rowand became expendable. We have an abundance of OF prospects in the minors and BA is the one closest to ML ready. In all likelyhood he'll be the Sox' opening day starter in '06 and should be around for a while after that as well.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Nov 27, 2005 -> 10:19 AM)
Have you noticed the detail kenny goes into now to 'check out' a guy's clubhouse demeanor before he acquires him?  Pierzynski basically had to talk Kenny into signing him by convincing him the 'clubhouse cancer' label tagged on him was hogwash.  That Clayton trade may have been what laid the foundation for Kenny putting so much emphasis on 'quality' people in the clubhouse. 

Once bitten, twice shy.

a really good point, one of which i never thought of.

that being said, i always love the idea of aj in a sox uni. i love how he gets on people nerves.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Nov 27, 2005 -> 02:19 AM)
Have you noticed the detail kenny goes into now to 'check out' a guy's clubhouse demeanor before he acquires him?  Pierzynski basically had to talk Kenny into signing him by convincing him the 'clubhouse cancer' label tagged on him was hogwash.  That Clayton trade may have been what laid the foundation for Kenny putting so much emphasis on 'quality' people in the clubhouse. 

Don't forget David Wells's signing that same year.

Personally, I was pissed that he gave them Gio. Even though he is an injury risk, I felt like he was as close to a cant miss pitcher as we have. Then I thought about it a little more and figured out what KW's thoughts were. Trade some pitchers who might not pan out, get a player. Next year, draft a bunch of arms again, hope 2 of them lool decent, trade them for a big league player. We still have arms, RL, Broadway, both are good minor leaguers.

Personally, I was pissed that he gave them Gio.  Even though he is an injury risk, I felt like he was as close to a cant miss pitcher as we have.  Then I thought about it a little more and figured out what KW's thoughts were.  Trade some pitchers who might not pan out, get a player.  Next year, draft a bunch of arms again, hope 2 of them lool decent, trade them for a big league player.  We still have arms, RL, Broadway, both are good minor leaguers.

You are dead on with this post. White Sox always draft a ton of pitching for this exact reason.

Thanks Soothsayer

Do you have any more predictions for us this offseason or do you want to stay with being 1 for 1?

Well thanks for the opening there, nice intro ... :P

They will bring in another bat who can serve as insurance for Crede's back. Frankly I expect them to wait until after the 12/20 non tender date. And I do not see them signing anybody as a FA until after the arbitration deadline, they do not want to give up draft choices.

My guess is they have their eyes on three guys and are waiting to see how it plays out ... Bill Mueller, Ryan Freel, and Tony Graffanino. I think you will see 1 of those 3 on the 2006 White Sox.

Juan Pierre, yes, I think they will get him. Strictly a guess on my part, not commenting on whether it's smart/good/bad/crazy/brilliant etc.

Konerko ... I think they'll get a deal done with him but if they don't watch for them to make two moves to compensate. This is why they want a Konerko decision done quickly, i.e. before the arbitration deadline and the non tender date - so it gives them time and room to pursue other things in case Konerko bolts.

Ok so this is stepping out on the ledge but that's what this time of year is for :D

I also predict that if KW trades more prospects a few people on this board will really get bent out of shape and call him an idiot. :)

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Nov 27, 2005 -> 12:10 PM)
Brian Anderson is the reason why Aaron Rowand became expendable. We have an abundance of OF prospects in the minors and BA is the one closest to ML ready. In all likelyhood he'll be the Sox' opening day starter in '06 and should be around for a while after that as well.

What are your thoughts on Chris Young? Where does he fit in? Will one of them move to a corner OF position? Maybe when Jermaine Dye leaves?

I really don't see Kenny trading for Pierre. Pierre will cost a lot in terms of prospects and salary in 2006 and we already have a dirt cheap option in Brian Anderson who supposedly plays very good defense in center field. He also projects to put up Rowand-type offensive numbers.