konerko says no to the O's

C_LEE45

QUOTE(fathom @ Nov 30, 2005 -> 08:56 AM)
Anyone think that this might be a little damage control by the Sox because they think PK is going to the Angels?  You know, start to emphasize the hip condition as a reason why they didn't want to give him the 5th year on his deal, etc? 

Also, by no means am I criticizing the Sox for doing this.  For that big of a contract, you better be sure that he's not a likely risk to have his health deteriorate a lot during the length of the deal.

Valid reason. So MO, no.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Nov 30, 2005 -> 03:05 PM)
No, I mean this time. Fathom was saying do you think it is damage control for if we lose him, but I havent heard anything like that out of Sox brass this time around.

I thought there had been some talk the last couple of days that it was the White Sox brass who were "upset" that this information has been released again?

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Nov 30, 2005 -> 10:00 AM)
Didnt the Baltimore Sun report it?

Yep, citing a "high ranking White Sox official". So the leak would be the White Sox, if it actually is considered a leak since the info was already out there.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Nov 30, 2005 -> 09:05 AM)
No, I mean this time. Fathom was saying do you think it is damage control for if we lose him, but I havent heard anything like that out of Sox brass this time around.

Someone in the Sox org opened their yapper about it to The Sun. I don't see the big deal.. it was one of baseballs worst kept secrets.

QUOTE(Steff @ Nov 30, 2005 -> 09:13 AM)
Someone in the Sox org opened their yapper about it to The Sun. I don't see the big deal.. it was one of baseballs worst kept secrets.

I knew about it, as did most of you, so this board could be the leak. It was a very well known condition for years.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Nov 30, 2005 -> 09:15 AM)
I knew about it, as did most of you, so this board could be the leak.  It was a very well known condition for years.

That's interesting considering when I mentioned it just a few weeks ago several folks here said they had never heard it and didn't believe it...

Considering Paulie's hip was the main reason Lasorda traded him to Cincinatti, and considering all the talk about Paulie's hip on this board in 2003 especially, his hip condition should be no surprise to anyone here. Considering the White Sox and Paulie when questioned have always denied there was even a small issue with his hip, the fact that this leaked out now from a "high ranking" White Sox official may give some credence to fathom's theory.

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Nov 30, 2005 -> 11:35 AM)
If Paulie gets 13 each yr for 4 years here or 13 each yr for 5 years somewhere else, what's he going to take?  Is he going to hang the Sox on the 5th year?

He said he wants to stabilize his family, so he wants the 5th year. Now that the O's offer is gone, and it was for 5 years, you have to assume the only offer he will take will be with a 5th year.

BTW, has Paulie ever been on the DL with the Sox?

Edited by WinninUgly

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Nov 30, 2005 -> 10:35 AM)
If Paulie gets 13 each yr for 4 years here or 13 each yr for 5 years somewhere else, what's he going to take?  Is he going to hang the Sox on the 5th year?

He should especially if its the Angels. Anaheim is the perfect place for him, they train 15 miles from his home. That's 6 weeks per year of being able to stay in your primary residence which is huge considering his newborn, and probably plans for more. Anaheim is a lot closer to his home than Chicago. The weather is great. He is quiet and may not crave the spotlight, although that sometimes seems hard to believe. There have been a few posts on Paulie maybe being able to get more endorsement money in Chicago. I really question whether he really is interested in that.

QUOTE(Steff @ Nov 30, 2005 -> 09:13 AM)

I know that I said I had only heard about Pk's hip problem here at Soxtalk and had never seen anything in the media about it, so I questioned it at the time. You and others straightened me out on that.