throwing a name out here

Jimbo's Drinker

QUOTE(White Sox Josh @ Nov 30, 2005 -> 11:23 PM)
but why fix what is broken?  That is exactly the lesson the cubs will learn when they don't resign Jeromy Burnitz.  He put up decent numbers for decent money.  He was a great guy in the clubhouse, why mess with that.  Why pay more for somebody who you don't know will be as good in the clubhouse and outproduce him by all that much.

Rightfielders with .322 OBPs do grow on trees

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Nov 30, 2005 -> 11:26 PM)
Rightfielders with .322 OBPs do grow on trees

who is a better right fielder in this free agent market. I am not saying Burnitz was great but for the money they were paying him you can do a whole lot worse. Plus they have other needs. If i were a cubs fan I would rather have Burnitz in Right and Juan Pierre in center and/or Rafael Furcal at short than some overpayed crappy outfielder and none of those guys.

QUOTE(White Sox Josh @ Nov 30, 2005 -> 10:17 PM)
he takes a ton of pitches.  Everytime I have seen him against the Braves and other teams he is taking a ton of pitches.  He is an ideal lead off man.  His at-bats usually last around 11 pitches and he can get on base.

He avearges 11 pitches per at-bat... cheesus lice. Do you ever check/re-read anything you post?

QUOTE(White Sox Josh @ Nov 30, 2005 -> 11:32 PM)
who is a better right fielder in this free agent market.  I am not saying Burnitz was great but for the money they were paying him you can do a whole lot worse.  Plus they have other needs.  If i were a cubs fan I would rather have Burnitz in Right and Juan Pierre in center and/or Rafael Furcal at short than some overpayed crappy outfielder and none of those guys.

Matt Murton.

Brad Wilkerson is Adam Dunn lite, but with good speed, better defense, and the ability to play center field. Just like Adam Dunn, people aren't sure where to put Wilkerson in a lineup. They don't hit for average, strike out a lot, but also have good power and draw a lot of walks for a high OBP. I would take Wilkerson over Brian Anderson in center field in a second.

And the Nationals would definately laugh at us if we offered only Marte for Wilkerson.

but why fix what isn't broken?  That is exactly the lesson the cubs will learn when they don't resign Jeromy Burnitz.  He put up decent numbers for decent money.  He was a great guy in the clubhouse, why mess with that.  Why pay more for somebody who you don't know will be as good in the clubhouse and outproduce him by all that much.

The Cubs didn't re-sign Burnitz because he was absolutely awful in the second half and finished with a .757 OPS. That's terrible for a starting right fielder.

Matt Murton.

Murton will start in left field. He's not good enough defensively and his arm is too weak to play right field. They will still need to sign or trade for a right fielder.

Edited by SSH2005

What should he stop? Stop with crazy offers like marte for wilkerson?

The white sox would not do marte for wilkerson because if they tried the nationals would literally laugh at them. They are not in the same ballpark. I don't see see anderson out producing wilkerson in the next three years, offensively and defensively combined. In general strikeouts are overated quite a bit but old school people cannot get over them usually. Hell we are gonna have three guys next year combine for nearly 400 strikeouts. If you put wilkerson in anderson's place that is probally adding 30 more strikeouts for a much better offensive player with higher potential. I know you will disagree but i am not a big fan of anderson's choppy and hacky approach at the plate... wilkerson has a better approach than anderson. Once he gets out of rfk... and the nl as whole like 3E8 mentioned.

Maybe you should understand what I said before going on a rant.

I don't want Anderson or Wilkerson. Guillen was complaining about all the strikeouts and that's one big reason why Rowand is gone, whether people want to admit it or not. Thome strikes out a ton too but he also walks a lot and hits for high average and hits HR's.

Wilkerson does not hit for high average and he doesn't steal many bases. He is not what the White Sox want, you'll have to trust me, old school or not.

QUOTE(kdhargo @ Dec 1, 2005 -> 04:49 AM)
Wilkerson posted .248/.351/.405 across the board in '05, along w/ 11 HRs; however, the previous year he posted a .255/.374/.498 campaign with 32 HRs.

Classic buy low, sell high KW acquisition.

one reason the power numbers went down is because he played in a god awful hitters park. That park is not the place to go if you are a hitter.

QUOTE(White Sox Josh @ Dec 1, 2005 -> 10:57 PM)
you could do a lot worse. 

Sure...Timo Perez starting in RF would be a whole lot worse.

A .757 OPS is mediocre as hell. Get that out of an offensive position, unless you can get on at a .350-.380 clip for me and steal around 50 bases.

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Dec 1, 2005 -> 11:07 PM)
.231/.301/.360

The collective batting line allowed this season by the pitchers Brian Anderson faced. In short, he saw nothing but all-star pitchers.

Ooo, good stat. I forgot all about the fact that he was facing elite lefties like Santana, etc.

QUOTE(JimH @ Dec 1, 2005 -> 08:28 PM)
Maybe you should understand what I said before going on a rant.

I don't want Anderson or Wilkerson.  Guillen was complaining about all the strikeouts and that's one big reason why Rowand is gone, whether people want to admit it or not.  Thome strikes out a ton too but he also walks a lot and hits for high average and hits HR's.

Wilkerson does not hit for high average and he doesn't steal many bases.  He is not what the White Sox want, you'll have to trust me, old school or not.

I did not rant at all.

I rarely do not consider a career .281 a ''high'' average. Jim thome from 2002-2004 hit .260 ( too lazy too add in 2005... would clearly be lower).Wilkerson strikes out a ton, walks a ton, and hits for low average. Has above average power in my opinion... expecially once he gets out of there.

If guillen is really that worried about strikeouts we will half to revamp half the offense.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Dec 2, 2005 -> 12:15 AM)
How the hell did you figure that out?

I'm wondering the same thing. Is there a site that does this for you? Or did you spend a buttload of time on it?

You have to weight it depending on how many AB's he had against each pitcher and also finding how all batters had fared against each pitcher at the point in time Anderson faced them is no easy task.