O's close to signing Burnitz??

BHAMBARONS

Per Rotoworld:

The Orioles are close to signing Jeromy Burnitz to a two-year deal worth $6 million per season, according to the Baltimore Sun.

What a remarkably bad idea. Maybe the worst of the winter so far, which is really saying something. Burnitz has had OPSs of 676, 786, 915 and 757 the last four years. His one good year was Coors Field aided, of course, and he had a road OPS of 775 that year. Burnitz turns 37 in April, so he's going to get worse, not better. As a one-year stopgap, he'd be tolerable. $12 million over two years is just flushing Peter Angelos' money down the toilet. Dec. 27 - 10:56 pm et

wow words can't describe how stupid this idea is.

QUOTE(BHAMBARONS @ Dec 27, 2005 -> 11:05 PM)
Per Rotoworld:

The Orioles are close to signing Jeromy Burnitz to a two-year deal worth $6 million per season, according to the Baltimore Sun.

What a remarkably bad idea. Maybe the worst of the winter so far, which is really saying something. Burnitz has had OPSs of 676, 786, 915 and 757 the last four years. His one good year was Coors Field aided, of course, and he had a road OPS of 775 that year. Burnitz turns 37 in April, so he's going to get worse, not better. As a one-year stopgap, he'd be tolerable. $12 million over two years is just flushing Peter Angelos' money down the toilet. Dec. 27 - 10:56 pm et

wow words can't describe how stupid this idea is.

not a good contract.

They really need to can their GM, when will they realize that all their team needs is two decent starters and a bullpen and they have a winning organization. For christs sake they had one of the better hitting teams last year, and now they r looking at burnitz who strikes out alot. What are they doing in Baltimore?

QUOTE(ChWRoCk2 @ Dec 27, 2005 -> 11:26 PM)
They really need to can their GM, when will they realize that all their team needs is two decent starters and a bullpen and they have a winning organization.  For christs sake they had one of the better hitting teams last year, and now they r looking at burnitz who strikes out alot.  What are they doing in Baltimore?

a 1 year contract i could understand. However 2 years at that price. GMAFB! Edited by White Sox Josh

What's amazed me is how little confidence some teams have in their young players. Taguchi/Bigbie and Gibbons/Newhan are not nearly bad enough to justify paying these guys 5 or 6 million a year, especially when you're talking about more than one year. (To be honest, I think you'd get at least equal production out of those.)

That said, calling this the worst deal of the offseason is a stretch.

QUOTE(Punch and Judy Garland @ Dec 28, 2005 -> 08:23 AM)
Well Newhan showed he can be good in stretches and while Gibbons is uninspiring, he does have a 100 rbi season in his past. I think they sign Burnitz, chicken out on  Prior and overpay for Jeff Weaver and claim they are trying

Although I somewhat agree, I don't think it as much as being cautious with Prior as reluctant to give up Tejada. Especially with the package the Cubs have offered. I wouldn't bite at it either.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Dec 28, 2005 -> 12:35 AM)
Stupid if it's two. Angelos needs to fire the GM.

How many times can the Angelos blame his GMs. He doesnt let them make moves without his approval, he is basically Dan Snyder in baseball, hoping to be Steinbrenner. But he just doesnt have the baseball knowledge. Its really sad too, this used to be quite a competitive organization when it came to Free Agents and players coming through the system.

QUOTE(Punch and Judy Garland @ Dec 28, 2005 -> 08:23 AM)
Well Newhan showed he can be good in stretches and while Gibbons is uninspiring, he does have a 100 rbi season in his past. I think they sign Burnitz, chicken out on  Prior and overpay for Jeff Weaver and claim they are trying

Gibbons is a solid player, reliable -- the average'll go up or down in a given season, but you're likely to get a .300-.330 obp. About what you'd expect from Burnitz. Newhan was a big disappointment this season, but still, looking at his minor league numbers (consistently a very good hitter), I'd expect him to bounce back this year.

Funny thing is, people in Baltimore were pissed about the Jeff Conine signing, and that might end up being the best signing they manage this offseason. (Except for Mazzone, of course.)

• 2 weeks later...