The Count possibly to the Astros?

sayitaintso

• Replies 609
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(WCSox @ Jan 2, 2006 -> 03:41 PM)
Your assignment of blame tells me that you didn't read the thread very thoroughly.

No, it's only 30 pages, and I'm sure that I skipped a few posts.

However, it doesn't make it any better. If you don't want to be a magnet for controversy, then be a better poster ™ and please refrain from fanning the flames. That's all I'm trying to say.

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Jan 2, 2006 -> 08:43 AM)
No, it's only 30 pages, and I'm sure that I skipped a few posts.

However, it doesn't make it any better.  If you don't want to be a magnet for controversy, then be a better poster ™ and please refrain from fanning the flames.  That's all I'm trying to say.

That's fair, but blame needs to be assigned elsewhere as well. Don't single me out.

QUOTE(WCSox @ Jan 2, 2006 -> 03:45 PM)
That's fair, but blame needs to be assigned elsewhere as well.  Don't single me out.

But it's so fun! :P

To be candid, you joined recently, and I personally notice that you've got an edge with your tone. It came out pretty quickly IMO, so I thought I'd say something. I probably shouldn't have in this thread, but oh well.

Happy Trails! :cheers

QUOTE(WCSox @ Jan 2, 2006 -> 03:37 PM)
You're mastery of the English language is very impressive.

Irony.

I'm against dealing Count at this juncture. I'd much rather see what BA can produce april-june. There's going to be a CF available mid-season for trade if he doesn't pan out.

And I'm sure Oz would have no problem putting Tavares in the 9 hole. Hmmm... low OBP, low SLG defensive minded player in the 9 hole? I'm pretty sure Ozzie remembers a Sox player fitting that description batting 9th through the 80's-90's.

QUOTE(maggliopipe @ Jan 2, 2006 -> 10:06 AM)
Irony.

Intentional irony, actually.

And I'm sure Oz would have no problem putting Tavares in the 9 hole.  Hmmm... low OBP, low SLG defensive minded player in the 9 hole?  I'm pretty sure Ozzie remembers a Sox player fitting that description batting 9th through the 80's-90's.

Taveras isn't the ideal candidate, but for a manager who puts so much emphasis on "manufacturing" runs, a good defensive CF with speed would be a good person to platoon with Anderson.

QUOTE(WCSox @ Jan 2, 2006 -> 09:33 AM)
I agree that he's overrated, just like everyone else in the eye of the NY media.  That doesn't mean that he's not a great defensive player, though.  He's at least as good as Uribe (I'd argue a little better) with a much better bat and more clutch plays in the post-season.

Jeter dreams about getting to balls that Uribe can. :lolhitting

QUOTE(hammerhead johnson @ Jan 2, 2006 -> 11:16 AM)
Did this guy just say that Derek f***ing Jeter is a stellar defensive shortstop?  He is as good as Uribe defensively, if not better?  :lol:

I suppose that he might actually have a baseball thought that is accurate one of these days, although I wouldn't bet on it.

Wow, the piling-on continues. :rolly

QUOTE(Steve Bartman's my idol @ Jan 2, 2006 -> 11:18 AM)
You cannot compare Jeter with Uribe.

The only similarities between the two is that they both play SS.

Jeter is a 5-tool shortstop, Uribe is a 2, maybe 3-tool shortstop!

Despite what the Kool-Aid drinkers think, Jeter has always been a very good defensive SS. Certainly not on Ozzie Smith or Omar Vizquel's level, but still an excellent defensive player. The only thing that Uribe has over Jeter is youth.

QUOTE(WCSox @ Jan 2, 2006 -> 06:20 PM)
Wow, the piling-on continues.  :rolly

Yeah, and it's a f***ing mystery as to why people are coming out of the woodwork to STOMP on your baseball thoughts. It's not enough that you're wrong about pretty much everything, but your posting style has JERKOFF written all over it. You're just some bitter dude from Oregon that got banned from WSI, correct?

QUOTE(WCSox @ Jan 2, 2006 -> 12:23 PM)
Despite what the Kool-Aid drinkers think, Jeter has always been a very good defensive SS.  Certainly not on Ozzie Smith or Omar Vizquel's level, but still an excellent defensive player.  The only thing that Uribe has over Jeter is youth.

I think Uribe has a stronger arm, and probably a little more power. Jeter is not too quick defensively up the middle. Obviously Jeter is a better all around player, but certainly not as much as their salary differences would insinuate.

QUOTE(hammerhead johnson @ Jan 2, 2006 -> 11:32 AM)
Yeah, and it's a f***ing mystery as to why people are coming out of the woodwork to STOMP on your baseball thoughts.  It's not enough that you're wrong about pretty much everything, but your posting style has JERKOFF written all over it.  You're just some bitter dude from Oregon that got banned from WSI, correct?

I'm not sure what you mean by that last part, but you sure sound like an intelligent adult by using words like "f***ing" and "jerkoff."

And you're a real bubbly personality as well. Talk about the pot calling the kettle black... :rolly

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Jan 2, 2006 -> 11:37 AM)
I think Uribe has a stronger arm, and probably a little more power. Jeter is not too quick defensively up the middle. Obviously Jeter is a better all around player, but certainly not as much as their salary differences would insinuate.

Jeter's range isn't top-notch (especially now that he's in his 30's), I'll agree with that. I don't see much difference in arm strength and I've seen Jeter make a ton of tough plays at SS and has tons of intangibles. Haven't seen that from Uribe, although he doesn't have 10 years of SS experience under his belt and has been a utility player for a good chunk of his career. Agreed that Jeter's $19 mil/year salary is excessive.

Despite what the Kool-Aid drinkers think, Jeter has always been a very good defensive SS.  Certainly not on Ozzie Smith or Omar Vizquel's level, but still an excellent defensive player.  The only thing that Uribe has over Jeter is youth.

He just went from GREAT to very good in one page! Big difference!!

All this stuff is semantics and it's hard to argue about terms like "great" "better" etc. but I will weigh in on Jeter. There is a reason why NYY have had him as their anchor for 10 years, he's very good. Not just as a hitter, but defensively and with his smarts.

Personally I would say Uribe has a better arm, but there are very few with a better arm than Uribe (Furcal). Range, I'd give the nod to Uribe. Raw power, probably Uribe because I think Uribe is physically stronger.

But there is no way I would ever denegrate Jeter, he has been and still is a fantastic player and I think he'll eventually be in Cooperstown.

you will probably follow that with horrible stats to back that up as well. But he was not that good defensively, never has been.

QUOTE(WCSox @ Jan 2, 2006 -> 01:18 PM)
Jeter's range isn't top-notch (especially now that he's in his 30's), I'll agree with that.  I don't see much difference in arm strength and I've seen Jeter make a ton of tough plays at SS and has tons of intangibles.  Haven't seen that from Uribe, although he doesn't have 10 years of SS experience under his belt and has been a utility player for a good chunk of his career.  Agreed that Jeter's $19 mil/year salary is excessive.

Havent seen that from Uribe huh??? Would you like one or two examples, or a whole season. Lets just go with the second to the last play in the world series. Or his stab in the whole against the tribe, or.......

Yeah, think before you type, honestly.

Havent seen that from Uribe huh???  Would you like one or two examples, or a whole season.  Lets just go with the second to the last play in the world series.  Or his stab in the whole against the tribe, or.......

Yeah, think before you type, honestly.

Intangibles maybe, or a history of making tough plays? Jeter has been doing it a lot longer and Juan really just came into his own this year.

QUOTE(JimH @ Jan 2, 2006 -> 02:38 PM)
Intangibles maybe, or a history of making tough plays?  Jeter has been doing it a lot longer and Juan really just came into his own this year.

I agree...Juan is a nice SS for us, especially at his price, but you really can't compare him to Derek.

Would you guys really turn your nose up at him being our #2 hitter?

I love Juan and think he's a great fit for us, but Derek is one of the best that there is.

QUOTE(JimH @ Jan 2, 2006 -> 12:32 PM)
All this stuff is semantics and it's hard to argue about terms like "great" "better" etc. but I will weigh in on Jeter.  There is a reason why NYY have had him as their anchor for 10 years, he's very good.  Not just as a hitter, but defensively and with his smarts.

Personally I would say Uribe has a better arm, but there are very few with a better arm than Uribe (Furcal).  Range, I'd give the nod to Uribe.  Raw power, probably Uribe because I think Uribe is physically stronger.

But there is no way I would ever denegrate Jeter, he has been and still is a fantastic player and I think he'll eventually be in Cooperstown.

If their hitting was equal, I'd still take Jeter in his prime (maybe four years ago) over Uribe. Jeter's the smarter player, IMO, and has made more clutch plays. We can agree to disagree. Agreed that Furcal is probably the best active player defensively.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jan 2, 2006 -> 12:34 PM)
you will probably follow that with horrible stats to back that up as well.  But he was not that good defensively, never has been.

So, we've spanned the range of "great" to "very good" to "not that good" to "bad." Everybody's entitled to their opinion, but it seems to me that those calling Jeter a "not that good" or "bad" defensive player either hate the Yankees way too much or think it's really cool to hate all products that are popular and over-exposed.

I agree...Juan is a nice SS for us, especially at his price, but you really can't compare him to Derek.

Would you guys really turn your nose up at him being our #2 hitter?

I love Juan and think he's a great fit for us, but Derek is one of the best that there is.

I will go further, one of the 20 best all around SS of all time.