The Count possibly to the Astros?

sayitaintso

Astros Discussing Jose Contreras

First off, my apologies for the confusion in my last post.  Let's set the record straight about this Astros/White Sox thing.

My source wasn't referring to the Astros' interest in Miguel Tejada, but rather Jose Contreras.  Baltimore likes the righthander, but Houston covets him as well.  The Sox are talking to the Astros currently, but have no interest in Brad Lidge.  Their reasoning:  they believe in the young, cheap Bobby Jenks.  The Sox also have concerns about Lidge's future health after piling on the innings as well as his impending large salary.  That all makes sense; the Sox have no reason to acquire another closer.

Another clarification: the player the Sox are considering for Contreras is Willy Taveras.  The additional prospects are unknown.  Given the massive salary gap between Jose Contreras and Taveras, this deal would free up cash to be used for reinforcements at the trading deadline.  As mentioned before, the White Sox are willing to go up to a $105MM payroll.

TIFWIW

• Replies 609
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Dec 31, 2005 -> 03:07 AM)
I'm sorry but Taveras for Contereas is insane when you have Brian Anderson. They'd have to offer at least a stud prospect, or someone like Chris Burke as well, to at least get KW thinking on this one.

Total agreement. Taveras should be a throw in along with whoever the Sox really want.

I understand the White Sox' concern regarding Lidge's health. Don't believe I'd covet him either. He's really been overloaded these last seasons, extending into the playoffs. The NLCS/World Series implosions wouldn't factor into any decision; but it's interesting to ponder whether the Astros may sense something awry with him. Whether that's confidence or an impending injury.

However, I don't want Tavarez. I realize his speed, youth, and salary may be enticing, but we don't need another Podsednik clone. One whose shown limited patience expected of a #2 hitter. Include Chad Qualls or Dan Wheeler and the Astros may have something.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

--And browsing over the site's earlier entries, it alledges Williams has dangled McCarthy in a package for Tejada. This better be false. I'd prefer trading ANYONE from our baron minors except for McCarthy. I don't care about Tejada, honestly. We need Brandon--if not for his cheap salary, more for the spot starting and bullpen relief he may provide. I'd prefer Contreras be shipped, but I sure as hell wouldn't mind him leaving in 07' for naught if it meant McCarthy remained a White Sox.

QUOTE(knightni @ Dec 31, 2005 -> 03:35 AM)
The 'stros know first hand how good Jose can be.

They NEED a pitcher. They will pay if necessary.

Hell, I wouldn't mind if they were willing to include a package of Taverez/Qualls/Hirsh. If they're truly desperate for starting pitching, and willing to give the aforementioned players, then Williams should accept the offer immediately. Even though I'm not thrilled of an CF combo consisting of two outfielders with less than 2 years between them, Qualls is dirt-cheap and Hirsh could step up several years from now. They are the players I'd anticipate trading for.

The goal, IMO, is to trade Contreras without including additional prospects or positional players from our end. No one on our roster should be traded. I wouldn't mind Tejada, but I doubt Uribe/Contreras is very realistic. In reality, they probably won't budge unless McCarthy is included. Which would be about the time I hang up the phone.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

This on Hirsh from John Sickels (best starter in Texas League)

Corpus Christi starter Jason Hirsh wins this, finishing second in the league with 15 wins, second in ERA, and leading in strikeouts and innings pitched. He definitely deserves notice as one of the top RHP prospects in the game right now, although on a national basis he hasn't received that much attention.

I don't mind Taveras being a part of a deal though, but he shouldn't be the main part. He's better defensively then Scott Podsednik, but needs to improve his OBP in a big way.

Chris Burke could be someone who's interesting as well. Gives us a possible option at 2nd in the future, if we decide not to pick up Iguchi's option for 2007 (which at this stage would be very unlikely).

I don't know how much offense that Houston would want to give up.

It was their downfall in the WS.

I'd assume that they'd want a spect OF with Contreras since they have no power in the OF except Berkman (possibly Lane).

Maybe Sweeney or Owens?

They could move Berkman back to CF after he gets healthy and open up a corner spot for another power guy.

Edited by knightni

QUOTE(knightni @ Dec 31, 2005 -> 06:07 AM)
I don't know how much offense that Houston would want to give up.

It was their downfall in the WS.

I'd assume that they'd want a spect OF with Contreras since they have no power in the OF except Berkman (possibly Lane).

Maybe Sweeney or Owens?

They could move Berkman back to CF after he gets healthy and open up a corner spot for another power guy.

Borchard?

Man, I know we have no need for Lidge, but what the hell? Wasn't he a top tier closer as little as, I don't know, 3 months ago?

Is his value just tanked now? Couldn't we spin him off to another team in need of a closer? I know I know, a starting pitcher has much more value than a closer, but if the Astros can give us some kind of package around Lidge it'd be hard to turn down.

The astros only 2 prospects close to the majors are Nieve and Hirsh. I doubt they'd give those two up. But LHP Troy Patton is a guy I could see really helping the sox. He dominated the SAL league {#4 rated prospect in the league, Gio gonzalez was 11th or 12th] and did just as well in high A. He could be ready for AA to start the yr [i think he'd be 20 this yr?]. Great control, high K rate, low HR allowed, a 1.61 GB: Fb rate

A deal around Qualls and Patton could get it done.

QUOTE(R.J. @ Dec 31, 2005 -> 04:54 AM)
Man, I know we have no need for Lidge, but what the hell? Wasn't he a top tier closer as little as, I don't know, 3 months ago?

Is his value just tanked now? Couldn't we spin him off to another team in need of a closer? I know I know, a starting pitcher has much more value than a closer, but if the Astros can give us some kind of package around Lidge it'd be hard to turn down.

Honestly, I'd be a little cautious if Houston were willing to offer Lidge.

A bonafied closer with electric stuff and only three years of major league service (ie, relatively inexpensive) would be on the block for Contreras--a pitcher one year from free agency? It doesn't fit. Wagner was expendable because of Dotell; Dotel was expendable for Lidge--is Qualls expected to fill in for Lidge? Unless there's an influx of Houston pitching talent I'm not aware of, Houston can't afford a Lidge-less bullpen. Even if Houston were willing to trade him, I would think one of the top closers in the game would likely be packaged for an offensive player.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

FWIW, John Manuel of Baseball America agreed with someone who compared TRoy Patton to being Lefthanded Roy oswalt in the SAL league top 20 chat.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/chat/050927jm.html

Here's the bit:

"Q: Andrew from Katy, TX asks:

Is it just me, or does Troy Patton resemble a lefty Roy Oswalt?

A: John Manuel: Sure, that's a fine comp."

Edited by beck72

QUOTE(GreatScott82 @ Dec 31, 2005 -> 12:21 PM)
Keep Jose. If neccessesary ship him at the deadline if we absolutely need to fill a hole on our team. I'm pretty sure thats what Kenny has in mind.

Kw is probably taking offers for Jose--why else would he make public comments that say he might deal Jose if the right offer came to him. Those comments would lead every GM interested in getting a #1 SP to call him. He can sit back and sort out the offers, w/o much pressure to make a deal. If KW gets what he wants, he'll likely deal Jose.

IF KW had it in mind to keep Jose until the deadline, he would have said "See you all in Spring training" after the Garland signing. He didn't do that

The rumor says the Sox are willing to go to $105 million on payroll, and says trading Contreras frees up money for deadline reinforcements. If the payroll currently is at $95 million and they are willing to go $10 million higher, how much money needs to be freed up for deadline reinforcements when more than half of their salaries for 2006 would have already been paid out?