Crew Rushes to Get to Trapped W.Va. Miners

Texsox

QUOTE(Texsox @ Jan 4, 2006 -> 08:05 AM)
It sounds to me like it was the volunteers who relayed the news. I'm not certain whet y'all heard, maybe it's different then the report I heard, but speculation was someone, not an official, overheard something, and spread the wrong information. Sadly, when 100 people are all shouting the same thing, it seems real.

That's close to what I heard.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Steff @ Jan 4, 2006 -> 08:06 AM)
I heard this morning that the reporters got the info from a Church official who supposedly got the news from a police official...??? Apparently the police were not speaking directly to the media for this very reason...? I was half listening so I definitely could be wrong..

I think the ringing of the Church bells and people screaming in the streets alerted most reporters.

From what I pieced together a volunteer relayed the news without waiting to be certain exactly what was said by the guys in the mine. Perhaps he had a friend or family member he phoned?

QUOTE(Texsox @ Jan 4, 2006 -> 08:10 AM)
I think the ringing of the Church bells and people screaming in the streets alerted most reporters.

From what I pieced together a volunteer relayed the news without waiting to be certain exactly what was said by the guys in the mine. Perhaps he had a friend or family member he phoned?

Beats me.

Regardless, I'm not blaming the media for this one. The police and g'ment officials should have been more clear with them on the reporting of any news.

It sounds like something simple, like somebody said 12 died and it was interpreted as 12 survived or something like that.....I really dislike the media, but nobody is going to falsely spread word that 12 survived, nobody is that cruel.

However, this is flat out embarassing for the national media....I still thought 12 of 13 were alive until I entered this thread just now. People need to MAKE SURE their facts are straight before reporting it. It seemed too good to be true last night.....this is a very dangerous job and the situation sounded real bad. RIP to all the victims, and prayers to the familes.

I do blame the media.

It is their job to make sure what they are reporting is the truth. It takes two minutes to call someone in a position of authority and say "can you confirm..." Problem averted. It doesn't even sound like they tried to contact an official with the company or government to me, they just overheard this stuff and ran to the presses with it.

Plus this hasn't been a one time occurance, when in fact it has practically become an epidemic of sorts with the media... Truth be damned, get the story out. How many times in the last couple of years have we seen horribly wrong information being passed off as fact, only to be quietly retracted in the coming days and weeks? This is just horribly irresponsible.

A church full of 300+ people (which included several of the trapped workers family members) being led by the Reverend screaming

"12 alive, 12 alive!!!!"

doing the happy dance, etc, etc..

Normally would be a pretty solid source, no?

And it's not like CNN really had to report it... they had video footage of the Church congregation high 5'ing eachother. :headshake

Somebody is going to pay for this one....either somebody is an idiot for causing miscommunication, or somebody was putting out bulls*** information. Either way, this simply cannot happen, 3 hours of thinking your family is alive, only to find out oops!! sorry, we had it wrong, they are dead.

That CANNOT happen, period.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Jan 4, 2006 -> 08:39 AM)
Somebody is going to pay for this one....either somebody is an idiot for causing miscommunication, or somebody was putting out bulls*** information.  Either way, this simply cannot happen, 3 hours of thinking your family is alive, only to find out oops!! sorry, we had it wrong, they are dead.

That CANNOT happen, period.

Where are you getting 3 hours..?? :huh

QUOTE(Steff @ Jan 4, 2006 -> 09:41 AM)
Where are you getting 3 hours..??  :huh

The timeline that CNN is reporting shows a 3 hour gap (almost) between the families thinking their loved ones were alive, and them being informed with the real truth.

http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/01/04/mine.expl....wed/index.html

Thanks Mike.

BTW... the Gov is an asshole.

"But late Tuesday night, families began streaming out of the church, yelling "They're alive!" The church's bells began ringing and families embraced, as politicians proclaimed word of the apparent rescue a miracle.

As an ambulance drove away from the mine carrying what families believed was the first survivor, they applauded, not yet knowing there were no others.

Though the governor announced that there were 12 survivors, he later indicated he was uncertain about the news. As word buzzed through the church of survivors, he tried to find out what was going on, he said."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060104/ap_on_.../mine_explosion

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jan 4, 2006 -> 08:31 AM)
I do blame the media. 

It is their job to make sure what they are reporting is the truth.  It takes two minutes to call someone in a position of authority and say "can you confirm..."  Problem averted.  It doesn't even sound like they tried to contact an official with the company or government to me, they just overheard this stuff and ran to the presses with it.

Plus this hasn't been a one time occurance, when in fact it has practically become an epidemic of sorts with the media... Truth be damned, get the story out.  How many times in the last couple of years have we seen horribly wrong information being passed off as fact, only to be quietly retracted in the coming days and weeks?  This is just horribly irresponsible.

Fox just showed the footage from last night. Geraldo was interviewing someone and some family members ran up and said all we found alive. Then the jubilation began and bells started ringing. I can't blame Geraldo for this.

I was watching last night just as the 'news' broke that 12 were alive. What seemed kinda strange was that they were reporting that the miners would be brought to the church to meet with relatives some time after they were pulled from the mine. Wouldn't they have been rushed to the hospital instead? They couldn't possibly be in THAT good a shape? In hindsight this too seems like more wild, bulls*** speculation. Apparently, the media was reporting anything and everything they heard as facts.

TIMELINE

11:53 p.m. -- Church bells ring as reports first indicate that 12 miners have been found alive.

2:14 a.m. -- A man is rescued and taken to a nearby hospital in critical condition after being trapped underground for nearly 40 hours.

2:44 a.m. -- Miners' relatives say they had been told all but one of the miners were dead.

3:11 a.m. -- Hatfield, president and CEO of International Coal Group, which owns the Sago Mine, announces that despite previous reports, only one survivor was found in the mine.

QUOTE(mreye @ Jan 4, 2006 -> 08:48 AM)
Fox just showed the footage from last night. Geraldo was interviewing someone and some family members ran up and said all we found alive. Then the jubilation began and bells started ringing. I can't blame Geraldo for this.

Same thing on CNN. The media didn't report it.. they caught the "celebration" as it unfolded.

QUOTE(Steff @ Jan 4, 2006 -> 09:48 AM)
Thanks Mike.

BTW... the Gov is an asshole.

"But late Tuesday night, families began streaming out of the church, yelling "They're alive!" The church's bells began ringing and families embraced, as politicians proclaimed word of the apparent rescue a miracle.

As an ambulance drove away from the mine carrying what families believed was the first survivor, they applauded, not yet knowing there were no others.

Though the governor announced that there were 12 survivors, he later indicated he was uncertain about the news. As word buzzed through the church of survivors, he tried to find out what was going on, he said."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060104/ap_on_.../mine_explosion

Fry him. He needs to be held responsible for what he said, unlike Mayor Nagin. I want to know who gave him the info, and why he felt that he should be spreading it as fact, when indeed he didn't know that for sure.

Well by all accounts I'm reading, it sounds like the coal company CEO is to blame big time here. He knew 20 minutes after it was said they were alive that they weren't, but kept quiet for almost 3 hours because "he wanted to be sure they were dead". PLEASE!! 3 hours?? That's pathetic, this whole thing is a total disaster....which is sad, because it takes the spotlight off what we should be talking about, which is the joke that is mining safety and how much it needs to improve.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jan 4, 2006 -> 09:02 AM)
Fry him.  He needs to be held responsible for what he said, unlike Mayor Nagin.  I want to know who gave him the info, and why he felt that he should be spreading it as fact, when indeed he didn't know that for sure.

West Virginia Gov. Joe Manchin -- who flashed a thumbs-up on the steps of the church and said, "believe in miracles," after hearing the initial report that the 12 were alive -- called the situation "heart-wrenching." (Watch Gov. Manchin explain what may have caused the miscommunication -- 3:44)

He said he was in another room of the church with some family members when "we heard families in a euphoric state, and all the shouting and screaming and joyfulness." He asked what was happening, he said, and was told, "They found them. They're alive."

Manchin said he asked his communications people if they had confirmed that information, and they said no. But he was caught in the sea of jubilant relatives streaming out of the church, and the church bells began ringing, he said. He said he was "in a euphoric state, the same as they are."

He didn't spread it. It was spread to him.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Jan 4, 2006 -> 10:08 AM)
Well by all accounts I'm reading, it sounds like the coal company CEO is to blame big time here.  He knew 20 minutes after it was said they were alive that they weren't, but kept quiet for almost 3 hours because "he wanted to be sure they were dead".  PLEASE!!  3 hours??  That's pathetic, this whole thing is a total disaster....which is sad, because it takes the spotlight off what we should be talking about, which is the joke that is mining safety and how much it needs to improve.

Yep. One woman said he very clearly and emphatically told the families they were alive. How the eff did he tell the families that, when clealry he was unsure?

Hopefully the media circus will get the hell otta there now and let those poor families grieve in peace.

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Jan 4, 2006 -> 09:10 AM)
Yep.  One woman said he very clearly and emphatically told the families they were alive.  How the eff did he tell the families that, when clealry he was unsure?

Hopefully the media circus will get the hell otta there now and let those poor families grieve in peace.

Yeah, right! They have to stay for at least the funerals. Duh!

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Jan 4, 2006 -> 09:08 AM)
Well by all accounts I'm reading, it sounds like the coal company CEO is to blame big time here.  He knew 20 minutes after it was said they were alive that they weren't, but kept quiet for almost 3 hours because "he wanted to be sure they were dead".  PLEASE!!  3 hours??  That's pathetic, this whole thing is a total disaster....which is sad, because it takes the spotlight off what we should be talking about, which is the joke that is mining safety and how much it needs to improve.

I'd rather him have done exactly what he did and not say anything versus giving out wrong information like the moron Gov did.

QUOTE(Steff @ Jan 4, 2006 -> 09:16 AM)
I'd rather him have done exactly what he did and not say anything versus giving out wrong information like the moron Gov did.

Yeah good point. I am just miffed that something like this could happen in the year 2006, that being this blatent a miscommunication. Somebody really messed up here, and it will be interested to see who it was and why they did it.