Where does the UT-USC Rose Bowl Game Rank in College Football  

40 members have voted

1. 1. Where does the UT-USC Rose Bowl Game Rank in College Football

• Best Game Ever
    • Top 5
    • Top 10
    • Top 25
    • Doesn't even rank

Like I said last night, it was the best game I have ever seen, just amazing. Interestingly, ESPN.com has the same poll up with over 117,000 votes and 53% agree it was the best ever. I don't think people realize how good of talent was on the field yesterday. These were the top two recruiting schools over the past 5 years and those recruits were going at it on the field with possibly 8 1st round picks just in this years draft, and probably 25-30 combined 1st round picks on the field in years to come.

QUOTE(Felix @ Jan 5, 2006 -> 11:12 PM)
The PSU/FSU game was better.  This game doesn't rank for me.

No chance. That game should have ended many times if not for crappy kicking.

Also PSU/FSU doesn't have those amazing memroble plays.

Maybe it's just me...

QUOTE(WHarris1 @ Jan 6, 2006 -> 05:13 AM)
No chance.  That game should have ended many times if not for crappy kicking.

Also PSU/FSU doesn't have those amazing memroble plays.

Maybe it's just me...

Well your a Texas fan so a course PSU/FSU isnt going to be as good for you....

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Jan 5, 2006 -> 11:24 PM)
Well your a Texas fan so a course PSU/FSU isnt going to be as good for you....

Eh Texas is more of a secondary team anyway.

But when you consider stakes, incredible plays, quality of play...I don't see PSU/FSU comparing.

QUOTE(WHarris1 @ Jan 6, 2006 -> 12:28 AM)
Eh Texas is more of a secondary team anyway.

But when you consider stakes, incredible plays, quality of play...I don't see PSU/FSU comparing.

I was saying that personally, I'll take PSU/FSU over it anyday. I'll take defensive games over offensive games anyday of the week. I think PSU/FSU was a better game, but hey, you don't have to agree. Thats fine by me. I think this years Rose Bowl got blown out of proportion because it was the championship game and USC was going for its third straight.

In my opinion, there were better games this year, including the PSU/Michigan and PSU/OSU games (I mention PSU games in particular because I watched them more), or the OSU/Michigan game. Hell, I think that UT/OSU was a better game. But again, just me.

QUOTE(Felix @ Jan 5, 2006 -> 11:51 PM)
I was saying that personally, I'll take PSU/FSU over it anyday.  I'll take defensive games over offensive games anyday of the week.  I think PSU/FSU was a better game, but hey, you don't have to agree.  Thats fine by me.  I think this years Rose Bowl got blown out of proportion because it was the championship game and USC was going for its third straight. 

In my opinion, there were better games this year, including the PSU/Michigan and PSU/OSU games (I mention PSU games in particular because I watched them more), or the OSU/Michigan game.  Hell, I think that UT/OSU was a better game.  But again, just me.

Missed FG's does not mean defensive battle all the time. In fact, in that game it meant horrible kickers.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Jan 5, 2006 -> 10:10 PM)
Missed FG's does not mean defensive battle all the time. In fact, in that game it meant horrible kickers.

I agree it always seems much more entertaining to have offenses and defenses fighting to determine the end of the game than inaccurate field goal kickers. 1 miss, maybe even 2 misses are tolerable, but eventually you just start hanging your head. Especially in college OT, when they practically start you off in FG range, and you can literally go 3 and out and still kick.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Jan 6, 2006 -> 06:10 AM)

well the Texas kicker missed a couple of FG's too that would of changed the game... and I know one for sure was from a pretty short distance.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Jan 6, 2006 -> 12:14 AM)
well the Texas kicker missed a couple of FG's too that would of changed the game... and I know one for sure was from a pretty short distance.

But overall the excitement was better. FSU vs PSU didn't have nearly as much talent on the field as Texas vs USC. This was for the biggest prize of them all and the game was all over the place. I mean, there was only like 4 or 5 punts between both teams throughout the whole game.

I mean off the top of my head Im going to say that Colorado versus ND where the Rocket ran back the kick but a phantom block in the back was called. The Miami versus OSU gamed seemed to have some more excitement.

It was a good game, its hard to rate them, for each person each game is different.

I think you do have to factor in the stage and what was at stake. Yes, you can have great mid season games, but when a National Championship is on the line, and clearly the two best teams in the country are playing for it, and the underdog wins in the final seconds, that has got to add to the "immortality" of that game.

What I think hurts the game was execution was not even close to perfect and you didn't have a classic great offense vs. great defense type story line.

Not even close to being the top game.

Closeness and excitement does not = excellence.

Too many errors by both teams in terms of play calling and misuse of time outs and errors by officials and poor tackling.

ND-USC from this year blows it away.

Most exciting Bowl Game of the year, I would go with that because of the hype and talent on both sides, but neither school played their best. Maybe only Vince Young played his best and since USC never made any adjustments, we do not know that either.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Jan 5, 2006 -> 11:11 PM)
Both teams played to form. It was one of the few times the game lived up to the buildup.

I'd disagree. USC was pretty bad defensively all game long, and really had nothing going offensively aside from their second drive and the entire second half. Pete Carroll didnt really do a great job of coaching either, especially on that 4th and 1-2. Bush had just started to get into some sort of rhythm running the ball, Texas's defense was starting to tire out, and instead of going to the outside with Bush, went inside with White...I thought that was just a dumb playcall, both before hand and in hindsight. That tends to bring up the question as to whether you go with the hot hand, or what got you to the point you're at. In a case like this, I'll take the latter...in some cases, I take the former. It's all moot at this point.

As far as college games go...I'll take the 2002 Fiesta Bowl over this. Pretty similar games all around though...a team with a 34 game winning streak going in with a starting QB who has lost only 1 game in his college career with an abundance of talent around him losing to an up and coming undefeated team with 1 star player offensively to go along with a good defense. It's just too bad that USC couldnt have kicked a game tying field to send it to overtime. That would have been fun as hell.