Recruiting Thread

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(whitesox61382 @ Oct 24, 2006 -> 11:10 PM)
I am not sure that I trust a random paragraph relying on an unnamed source. It could simple be an UI fans wishful thinking. According to the most recent insider article, after Benn's visit to FSU(including quotes directly from Benn), he said that all three schools are dead even and that there are no favorites at this point. Take it with a grain of salt if you want, but I trust quotes from Benn over some random source. I really think that it will still come down to UI or ND though, FSU's chances are at their highest right now after his visit, so the longer it goes the less likely he will pick FSU IMO.

Here are my sources: a writer for Warchant and the national Rivals site. The article did say the three were even, but the two said differently in their posts. Don't forget that Benn sees FSU again this weekend.

I know you didn't say this, but it can't truly be about current performance if UofI is in it. All I know is he is graduating early and is enrolling this spring. He'd be a starter come fall.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Oct 25, 2006 -> 05:54 PM)
He won't win any national titles at UI, but he'll start 4 years and make 2 or 3 bowl games, while having Juice throw him the ball for 3 years. Not bad.

2 or 3 bowl games huh? hahaha

QUOTE(chimpy2121 @ Oct 25, 2006 -> 04:05 AM)
Here are my sources: a writer for Warchant and the national Rivals site. The article did say the three were even, but the two said differently in their posts. Don't forget that Benn sees FSU again this weekend.

I know you didn't say this, but it can't truly be about current performance if UofI is in it. All I know is he is graduating early and is enrolling this spring. He'd be a starter come fall.

I did't mean to call you out, but everyone throws around the word "source" these days. If you believe Farrell on Rivals, he is saying that Benn is pretty much down to FSU and UI. Benn looks like a classic case of a momentum recruit(similar to a high scoring game in which the team with the ball last wins); ie the school with the most momentum is in the lead(ND led early, UI took the lead after his visit, and now it appears that FSU has a slight lead). This is what happened with Gordon, IU made up so much ground in such a little amount of time that the momentum pushed he to change his commitment. Based on the info that I am hearing from insiders don't be surprised if he picks FSU. They have the combination that he is looking for: good football program/tradition, developing NFL receivers, instant PT, warm weather, diverse community, and good social life.

In other news, as expected, top rated OT Miller decides to stay close to home and play for Colorado over ND.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Oct 25, 2006 -> 11:54 AM)
He won't win any national titles at UI, but he'll start 4 years and make 2 or 3 bowl games, while having Juice throw him the ball for 3 years. Not bad.

I don't understand how a school that aspires to be Purdue is a serious option for a top recruit.

QUOTE(whitesox61382 @ Oct 25, 2006 -> 06:00 PM)
I did't mean to call you out, but everyone throws around the word "source" these days. If you believe Farrell on Rivals, he is saying that Benn is pretty much down to FSU and UI. Benn looks like a classic case of a momentum recruit(similar to a high scoring game in which the team with the ball last wins); ie the school with the most momentum is in the lead(ND led early, UI took the lead after his visit, and now it appears that FSU has a slight lead). This is what happened with Gordon, IU made up so much ground in such a little amount of time that the momentum pushed he to change his commitment. Based on the info that I am hearing from insiders don't be surprised if he picks FSU. They have the combination that he is looking for: good football program/tradition, developing NFL receivers, instant PT, warm weather, diverse community, and good social life.

In other news, as expected, top rated OT Miller decides to stay close to home and play for Colorado over ND.

It's all good. I came off to agressive and I shouldn't have. It's hard to tell with recruits though. They change their minds a lot, but who can blame them because they're still young and making a decision that can change their lives forever.

I hope we get Benn, he reminds me a lot of another Anquan Boldin.

QUOTE(whitesox61382 @ Oct 25, 2006 -> 05:00 PM)

The one thing that might hurt FSU is Bobby Bowden. He's been the belle of the ball for a long time, but one not-so-good season and the boosters are on his arse to get out. He's done so much for that program, he should be able to decide when he wants to leave (see: Joe Paterno). Anyway, if there is any doubt that Bowden may not be there by the time Benn gets there or within his first year or two, that might sway him towards ND or UofI.

QUOTE(SleepyWhiteSox @ Oct 26, 2006 -> 11:49 AM)
But I thought you had to be an adidas school? :lol:

Although memphis is the favorite with indiana second, I'm still holding out a tiny bit of hope that he chooses the school closest to home...

it could be a grace visit to save face in the community.

It would make a lot of Illini fans hypocritical if Rose chooses Illinois. And honestly, I don't think it is that farfetch'd. Everyone and their brother knows Weber has continued to recruit him since he took Illinois off his list.

With that said, does anyone else get the feeling that Rose simply does not want to play with Gordon?

QUOTE(Buehrle>Wood @ Oct 26, 2006 -> 01:09 PM)
It would make a lot of Illini fans hypocritical if Rose chooses Illinois. And honestly, I don't think it is that farfetch'd. Everyone and their brother knows Weber has continued to recruit him since he took Illinois off his list.

With that said, does anyone else get the feeling that Rose simply does not want to play with Gordon?

I could see that.

Like with the Gordon situation, I haven't really made my opinion on Rose. His scenarios obviously different, as no one really can have a sneaking suspicion on where he may end up right now as he's only given a list of schools.

However, I'm not sure I'm going to be upset either way right now on the subject of him coming here or not. He'd be a great get, and would make our recruiting class even stronger. However, I have to admit all the rumblings of the stuff his brother is doing in the recruiting process has me nervous also, and I wouldn't be mad to not have to worry about that dirt at all.

QUOTE(CanOfCorn @ Oct 26, 2006 -> 10:33 AM)
The one thing that might hurt FSU is Bobby Bowden. He's been the belle of the ball for a long time, but one not-so-good season and the boosters are on his arse to get out. He's done so much for that program, he should be able to decide when he wants to leave (see: Joe Paterno). Anyway, if there is any doubt that Bowden may not be there by the time Benn gets there or within his first year or two, that might sway him towards ND or UofI.

I don't care what he did for 30 years. Yes, he is one of the greatest coaches of all time, but why should he be allowed to run this program into the ground too. Last year sucked (it was BS we made a BCS game), this year sucks, and I'm sure the rest of the years are going to suck. Have you seen our current commitment list? Five 3*s and only 2 4*s. Yep, Bobby is doing a great thing for recruiting. Plus, if I was a booster I would not donate any money because the coaches suck and the product sucks. Coaches around the NCAA laugh at FSU because we have an extreme amount of tallent, but the coaches aren't doing anything with it. Bobby is a figurehead, he does not do much in his current role. The reason he needs to quit is his son, Jeff Bowden. Even JoPa made changes before the miracle season last year, including breaking some loyalties. I don't want a grace period to be the downfall of my college football experience. I want results now. f*** being in last place of the f***ing horrible ACC. s***, don't even think about me, think about these f***ing kids who deserve better than this.

Can we really blame Chris Rix now?

Edited by chimpy2121