Recruiting Thread

QUOTE(Soxbadger @ Oct 31, 2006 -> 01:41 PM)
?

Illinois could of run the option all day on Wisconsin.

Unexpectedly in the second half Illinois stopped doing it.

Not to mention the fact that Zook decided to start trying to run between the tackles against Wisconsin.

I really dont see how you could say the players lost the game for Illinois, when it was the players who got the big lead, and then it was Zook who started playcalling like Dennis Green.

Of all the losses, this is the one you can least throw on Zook.

There were quite a few things the players did to lose it, including:

Cumberland drops a td

Juice misses Halsey for a td

Halsey fumbles a punt

Yelton can't punt worth a damn

Brutal Juice interception

None of those are his fault. On top of that, that play call that didn't lead to the easy halsey td was a beautiful call that he doesn't get credit for because his players didn't execute.

I'm not the biggest zook fan by any means, but the players need to do something out there, regardless of what plays are being called. This is the one loss out of all of them that i don't throw right on zook.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(whitesox61382 @ Oct 31, 2006 -> 04:11 PM)
From what I hear, Jones has been very impressive in practice. Don't be surprised if Jones is the starting QB next year instead of Clausen. Jones is one of the few dual threat QB who actually has a pretty accurate and impressive arm. It should be a hell of a battle for the starting QB job next year. Don't be surprised if you see a transfer. My guess is that Frazier, a four star QB from last year, based on the assumption that Jones is ahead of him on the depth chart and Clausen is coming in. Jones might transfer if he is moved from QB, he stated many times that he wants to be a QB at the college level. If he does lose the starting QB job, I hope that Weis can talk him into moving to another position because this guy is a great athlete and needs to find his way onto the field.

He's been playing well in other teams offenses. Charlie won't change his offense which is why I think it will be Clausen because thats his style of play. I just hope Jones will be willing to move to WR.

Well then we have to agree to disagree.

I watched the entire game at and half time I thought as long as Illinois doesnt start doing anything stupid Wisconsin just choked away a 1 loss season.

The special teams was terrible. Illinois has the worst punter Ive seen in a long time.

The game calling in the second half was abysmal, outside of that 1 play where Juice completely missed the player, the entire half was uninspiring. If Zook calls more option / qb draw, etc, the game is over. Wisconsin had no answer for Juice scrambling, and clearly had no idea how to handle the option.

The fact is, Illini had a huge lead at half. If they just play average in the second Wisconsin would have lost. They went into a shell and played terribly. You knew Wisconsin's offense was going to come out strong, Stocco just kept missing open players in the first half. But Illinois had a chance, and it was not the players who blew it. Maybe it was the first interception in the second half that made Zook lose confidence. But after that play, it looked like a completely different offense.

QUOTE(Soxbadger @ Oct 31, 2006 -> 04:22 PM)
Well then we have to agree to disagree.

I watched the entire game at and half time I thought as long as Illinois doesnt start doing anything stupid Wisconsin just choked away a 1 loss season.

The special teams was terrible. Illinois has the worst punter Ive seen in a long time.

The game calling in the second half was abysmal, outside of that 1 play where Juice completely missed the player, the entire half was uninspiring. If Zook calls more option / qb draw, etc, the game is over. Wisconsin had no answer for Juice scrambling, and clearly had no idea how to handle the option.

The fact is, Illini had a huge lead at half. If they just play average in the second Wisconsin would have lost. They went into a shell and played terribly. You knew Wisconsin's offense was going to come out strong, Stocco just kept missing open players in the first half. But Illinois had a chance, and it was not the players who blew it. Maybe it was the first interception in the second half that made Zook lose confidence. But after that play, it looked like a completely different offense.

I'm not blaming it all on the players, so i don't know if we're completely disagreeing. I just wouldn't throw it all on him. IMO, more of it goes on the players...maybe it's 60/40 IMO, something like that. I know you probably haven't seen some of our other losses...but the coaching staff was brutal in the 2nd half of some of those games. So in comparison, this one was a lot better. I just think the players didn't help Zook's cause at all in that 2nd half, even if the play calling could have been a bit better. I mean the plays i listed above...if you turn one or two of those around, we probably win for sure. That's all i'm saying, but i understand where you are coming from.

QUOTE(Jimbo @ Nov 1, 2006 -> 05:29 PM)
Just about to post that awesome...why would an illini fan even pay attention to their football team right now......Its bball season.

two reasons, one because the football team is getting better and two, bball doesn't really get started until mid-November anyway...I mean, Lewis? SIU-E? Wake me when they play Maryland.

QUOTE(He_Gawn @ Nov 2, 2006 -> 10:31 PM)
I'm not sure at all really. The Sun-Times said he was an IU lean last week, but Memphis has seemed to be near the top all along. I don't expect Illinois at all. We shall see.

With Reggie Rose's recent comments, it seems like Indiana is the way long shot and Illinois is in serious consideration. I'm still going Memphis on this, though.

Rumor has it about Reggie Rose that the only reason Derrick went to Illinois was to keep Weber happy with Reggie because theres some recruits from his team considering ILL... Thats just what I heard though and in no way have I heard Indiana was out.

I think he's going to Indiana. Gets to play with Gordon, gets to play in a huge conference, gets to play on a contending team as soon as he steps on the court, and will be in the national spotlight. People might say he won't want to share his spotlight with Gordon, but if Rose is as good as people say he is, he won't mind it because he'll end up getting drafted top 5 regardless.

Right now I think it's:

Indiana

Memphis

...Illinois

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Nov 2, 2006 -> 07:02 PM)
I think he's going to Indiana. Gets to play with Gordon, gets to play in a huge conference, gets to play on a contending team as soon as he steps on the court, and will be in the national spotlight. People might say he won't want to share his spotlight with Gordon, but if Rose is as good as people say he is, he won't mind it because he'll end up getting drafted top 5 regardless.

Right now I think it's:

Indiana

Memphis

...Illinois

He doesnt want to play with Gordon. Thats the thing people are missing, he wants to be the stud player, he doesn't want to share the limelight with Gordon. Indiana, IMO, is out. And its between Memphis and Illinois, depsite the fact the Derek might not like the drive to Memphis, I still think he ends up at Memphis.

QUOTE(maggsmaggs @ Nov 2, 2006 -> 07:13 PM)
He doesnt want to play with Gordon. Thats the thing people are missing, he wants to be the stud player, he doesn't want to share the limelight with Gordon. Indiana, IMO, is out. And its between Memphis and Illinois, depsite the fact the Derek might not like the drive to Memphis, I still think he ends up at Memphis.

Where do you get this??? As has said before, the only reason he was considering IU in the first place was the allure of playing together with Gordon. Perhaps he has changed his mind, I don't know. But unless you got something concrete, I can't buy your thoughts.

Keep in mind, the guy is a point guard. What makes a PG great are players that can finish what he dishes out. A great PG makes the other players better. So "sharing" the limelight could very well give Rose more than not.

All that said, I am not predicting he will go to IU. I really don't have a feel for where he will go and as I have said before, I really don't want him if he is planning on being one-and-done going in. But there is no reason IU would still be on his list if your original premise were right.

QUOTE(Buehrle>Wood @ Nov 2, 2006 -> 11:35 PM)
With Reggie Rose's recent comments, it seems like Indiana is the way long shot and Illinois is in serious consideration. I'm still going Memphis on this, though.

You UI fans are funny. Reggie makes a comment about being selfish, and you guys reach to draw the conclusion that he doesn't want to go to IU and share the spotlight(talk about twisting words to make them appear how you want them too). Yet, you guys ignore the fact that IU would have probably never made Rose's short list unless Gordon wasn't reconsidering his commitment to UI, and made the final cut right after Gordon committed to IU. Plus the numerous insider articles that stated how much both liked playing with each other this summer and how they would love to continue to do so at the college level. Do I sense a little bitter bias towards IU after the Gordon incident? Calling IU the longshot is funny, especially when there was an insider article after his visit to UI that clearly(don't have to draw any reaching conclusions) stated that UI was the long shot and that the trip to UI was out of courtesy. You guys are more than welcome to think what you want though. Personally, I still think he ends up at Memphis, so all this talk will probably turn out to be irrelevant.

QUOTE(whitesox61382 @ Nov 3, 2006 -> 01:29 AM)
You UI fans are funny. Reggie makes a comment about being selfish, and you guys reach to draw the conclusion that he doesn't want to go to IU and share the spotlight(talk about twisting words to make them appear how you want them too). Yet, you guys ignore the fact that IU would have probably never made Rose's short list unless Gordon wasn't reconsidering his commitment to UI, and made the final cut right after Gordon committed to IU.

Or Illinois was not on Rose's list to begin with because Gordon was going there. Then Illinois comes from nowhere to make the final list, yet Gordon is no longer committed there. Seems like the more logical of the two, IMO.

Plus the numerous insider articles that stated how much both liked playing with each other this summer and how they would love to continue to do so at the college level.

See, if you look back at these articles, you'll notice a seemingly ignored trend. It's almost always Gordon talking. It was Gordon who always talked about wanting to join Rose's AAU team. And he did. It was Gordon who kept up the constant talk about trying to get Rose to play for Illinois. It's Gordon who is wanting Rose to be at IU now. Meanwhile the only thing we get from the Rose camp regarding Gordon is this: “When I grabbed Eric to play on my AAU team this summer, the way they played together was scary. It’s really up to them if they want to play together or not… But sometimes you have to be selfish, also.” (And I really don't see how you could "twist" these words. Look pretty clear to me).

Do I sense a little bitter bias towards IU after the Gordon incident? Calling IU the longshot is funny, especially when there was an insider article after his visit to UI that clearly(don't have to draw any reaching conclusions) stated that UI was the long shot and that the trip to UI was out of courtesy.

There are plenty of Insider articles stating anything and everything. Seems to me you just chose the one you want to believe.

Anyway, I would love for him to stay in the Big Ten, but I as well am thinking it's Memphis.

QUOTE(fathom @ Nov 2, 2006 -> 08:53 PM)
A very influential person in the Memphis AAU basketball scene is saying that Rose is going to Memphis.

Yeah, I still think that, like with Scheyer, the interest shown in Illinois is all to avoid receiving hatred, not due to actual interest.

QUOTE(Buehrle>Wood @ Nov 3, 2006 -> 02:55 AM)
His cousin, apparently. But remember, it's another internet rumor. TIFWIW.

No, this is someone totally different. This guys has been involved with the AAU Memphis scene for a while, and he has serious connections in the shoe industry.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Nov 3, 2006 -> 03:14 AM)
Yeah, I still think that, like with Scheyer, the interest shown in Illinois is all to avoid receiving hatred, not due to actual interest.

I'm not going to lie, that is probably the dumbest thing I have ever heard regarding this situation. Heck, the "courtesy visit" argument holds more merit than that!

QUOTE(fathom @ Nov 3, 2006 -> 03:17 AM)
No, this is someone totally different. This guys has been involved with the AAU Memphis scene for a while, and he has serious connections in the shoe industry.

Source then?

From the Sun-Times BLOG by Michael O'Brien. I'm just posting it because I remember reading it. This is an opinion, but he knows more than I do, so TIFWIW:

Indiana: Probably a distant third right now, but not out of the picture. All along it has seemed that Eric Gordon wanted to play with Rose in college more than Rose wanted to play with Gordon. Don't overlook the fact that Gordon wasn't considered the top player in the country until he played with Rose. Gordon, not Rose, benefited from the partnership.

Don't overlook the fact that Gordon wasn't considered the top player in the country until he played with Rose. Gordon, not Rose, benefited from the partnership.

That is just an odd statement all-around. Gordon isn't and has never been the top player in the country. He has been the top ranked SG in his class for quite a while though. Yes he played very well with Rose, and lots of people went out to see them play together. But both players were already entrenched into their #1 SG and #2 PG positions and nothing changed, people just found out that they gelled well together.