Recruiting Thread

QUOTE(thedoctor @ Sep 21, 2006 -> 09:11 PM)
darquavis tucker to depaul. nice pick-up for wainwright.

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Now we need Mac Koshwal to finally commit. Although weber made a late push recently even though he stated he wasn't interested since Rose wasn't interested, we're still the favorite to get him.

And I don't wanna get ahead of myself, get my hopes up, or jinx it...but should I be letting myself get excited about the possiblity of rose???

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(SleepyWhiteSox @ Sep 22, 2006 -> 03:55 AM)
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Now we need Mac Koshwal to finally commit. Although weber made a late push recently even though he stated he wasn't interested since Rose wasn't interested, we're still the favorite to get him.

And I don't wanna get ahead of myself, get my hopes up, or jinx it...but should I be letting myself get excited about the possiblity of rose???

yeah, koshwal won't be coming. i liked his ability, but illinois was too inconsistent in it's pursuit of him. probably the same thing that cost them with tucker.

not sure why folks are melting down, either. i'm not sure tucker was the top wing target. what i've heard is that is a.j. stewart, although frankly i think he chooses kentucky.

QUOTE(thedoctor @ Sep 22, 2006 -> 08:27 AM)
yeah, koshwal won't be coming. i liked his ability, but illinois was too inconsistent in it's pursuit of him. probably the same thing that cost them with tucker.

not sure why folks are melting down, either. i'm not sure tucker was the top wing target. what i've heard is that is a.j. stewart, although frankly i think he chooses kentucky.

I believe weber's entire recruting is inconsistent

QUOTE(Jimbo @ Sep 22, 2006 -> 04:04 PM)
I believe weber's entire recruting is inconsistent

what do you mean? his approach? his philosophy? his results?

while i'll agree he has had some notable misses, i also think he's had some good gets. if (big if) this class ends up including gordon, it will be among the top-10 classes in the nation, possibly higher if the fifth scholarship goes to someone like stewart or hudson.

QUOTE(thedoctor @ Sep 22, 2006 -> 11:35 AM)
what do you mean? his approach? his philosophy? his results?

while i'll agree he has had some notable misses, i also think he's had some good gets. if (big if) this class ends up including gordon, it will be among the top-10 classes in the nation, possibly higher if the fifth scholarship goes to someone like stewart or hudson.

the recruiting class looks pretty dry to me. If gordon goes to IU or even KU, that would leave a class with barely anyone making the top 100. I know you can find diamonds in the rough,, but Illiniois is just removed from a national title game. I belive Weber gives up too easilly on the top dogs.

QUOTE(Jimbo @ Sep 22, 2006 -> 01:01 PM)
the recruiting class looks pretty dry to me. If gordon goes to IU or even KU, that would leave a class with barely anyone making the top 100. I know you can find diamonds in the rough,, but Illiniois is just removed from a national title game. I belive Weber gives up too easilly on the top dogs.

The chances of Gordon going to Kansas are zero.

Just wanted to clear that up.

QUOTE(Jimbo @ Sep 22, 2006 -> 01:09 PM)
one never knows in the wild world of recruiting. I don't see it happening either, but then again it would continue the trend of us taking the best chicago offers.

He's not from Chicago.

He's from Indianapolis.

QUOTE(Jimbo @ Sep 22, 2006 -> 05:01 PM)

with eric gordon illinois's recruiting class is far from dry. without him, it's probably in need of a glass of water.

QUOTE(Jimbo @ Sep 22, 2006 -> 05:01 PM)

KU??? What makes you think that Gordon might end up at KU? KU didn't even make Gordon's final 5 before he committed to UI? I can't say that I have seen Gordon mention KU as a possible option once over the past 6 months(since he began having 2nd thoughts about his commitment to UI). He has said that it is between UI and IU. Are you a KU fan living a pipedream?

I was on record as stating that Gordon will almost certainly be at UI next year, but after reading a few articles I am beginning to think that it is 50/50. My gut tells me that he will still be at UI, but IU has certainly made up some ground and I wouldn't be surprised if he did pick IU.

Personally, I think Rose is a much bigger get for IU than Gordon(not that I wouldn't love Gordon). Next year, IU will have only one scholarship PG in Bassett who was a boardline top 100 recruit and hasn't seen a minute of college action. IU needs a PG who can make an instant impact, and Rose is their last shot. If IU loses out on Gordon they are still the favorites to land top 100 SG Jones, plus they already have a commitment from another SG in Ellis. Unfortunately, if IU loses out on Gordon, than I don't think they will get Rose.

chsxfan, Alford and good recruiter often don't go together in the same sentence. Including this years current class, Alford has landed only 1 four star recruit in the past 5 years(obviously no 5 star recruits), and none of this years recruits are on the current top 150 list. I realize that recruiting services aren't perfect and you don't have to be a 4-5 star recruit to be a good college player, but it is hard to build a team that can consistantly contend for a Big 10 championship/make a run in the NCAA Tourny without consistantly landing top recruits. This is the main reason why I didn't want Alford to end up at IU. He has a mediocre track record of recruiting. It is nice to see that they do have 2 four star recruits in their 2008 class, and Alford usually does a good job of getting maximum talent out of his players, which usually makes Iowa pretty competitive.

QUOTE(whitesox61382 @ Sep 22, 2006 -> 01:22 PM)
KU??? What makes you think that Gordon might end up at KU? KU didn't even make Gordon's final 5 before he committed to UI? I can't say that I have seen Gordon mention KU as a possible option once over the past 6 months(since he began having 2nd thoughts about his commitment to UI). He has said that it is between UI and IU. Are you a KU fan living a pipedream?

I was on record as stating that Gordon will almost certainly be at UI next year, but after reading a few articles I am beginning to think that it is 50/50. My gut tells me that he will still be at UI, but IU has certainly made up some ground and I wouldn't be surprised if he did pick IU.

Personally, I think Rose is a much bigger get for IU than Gordon(not that I wouldn't love Gordon). Next year, IU will have only one scholarship PG in Bassett who was a boardline top 100 recruit and hasn't seen a minute of college action. IU needs a PG who can make an instant impact, and Rose is their last shot. If IU loses out on Gordon they are still the favorites to land top 100 SG Jones, plus they already have a commitment from another SG in Ellis. Unfortunately, if IU loses out on Gordon, than I don't think they will get Rose.

chsxfan, Alford and good recruiter often don't go together in the same sentence. Including this years current class, Alford has landed only 1 four star recruit in the past 5 years(obviously no 5 star recruits), and none of this years recruits are on the current top 150 list. I realize that recruiting services aren't perfect and you don't have to be a 4-5 star recruit to be a good college player, but it is hard to build a team that can consistantly contend for a Big 10 championship/make a run in the NCAA Tourny without consistantly landing top recruits. This is the main reason why I didn't want Alford to end up at IU. He has a mediocre track record of recruiting. It is nice to see that they do have 2 four star recruits in their 2008 class, and Alford usually does a good job of getting maximum talent out of his players, which usually makes Iowa pretty competitive.

read my previous screwup few posts up

QUOTE(Jimbo @ Sep 22, 2006 -> 06:55 PM)
read my previous screwup few posts up

Sorry about that. Posted without catching up on the thread. You are referring to Rose and not Gordon. In the case of Rose, KU has a legit chance of landing him although my gut tells me that Memphis is the favorite at this point.

QUOTE(chimpy2121 @ Sep 28, 2006 -> 01:21 PM)
FSU just landed Soloman Alabi, a 5 star, 7-1 center. This is a pretty good class for them. They also landed 5 star Forward (turned 4 star after he commited) Julian Vaughn (6-9).

Some good size with those recruits.

Got to see Parsons and Alabi play this summer for the Nike Team Florida. Was watching Parsons more because he was a potential IU recruit, but got a little taste of Alabi as well. Parsons carried the team and is going to be a hell of a player at Florida. The one word I would use to describe Alabi is RAW, but you can describe most high school big man as raw. His length was evident on the defensive side with a couple of blocks and a handful of altered shots. He also did a decent job rebounding, but his offensive game needs a lot of work. I was surprised to find out that he was a 5 star recruit. I thought that was a little high for a kid with no offensive game. Still, you can't teach height and with time I am sure that he will develop into a very good college player. You have to give Hamilton credit, he is a great recruiter. He has stolen few recruits away from IU(Wafer, Romero, AJohnson) over the years. He just needs to get the talent to play up to their potential.

It's just big to finally get some guys with size on our team. I can understand Alabi looking raw since he came over from Africa and used to play soccer a lot. He just picked up American basketball a couple years ago. Thanks for the info about him though. :)

I found out why Vaughn was dropped to a 4 star; it turns out he got injured during the summer. Nevertheless, he still had 20 offers so there has to be a lot of potential there.