Recruiting Thread

QUOTE(Buehrle>Wood @ Sep 28, 2006 -> 11:09 PM)
When getting arguably the country's best player just isn't good enough.

Like JimbosDrinker said, Gordon isn't even a lock and it looks more and more each day that he'll be going to IU. I think Gordon is a great player because he doesn't seem like a guy where you have to kiss the ground he walks on and baby him, but unfortunately most recruits are exactly that way. Weber can't handle those types of recruits which is why he's losing to almost everyone. He's getting owned big time by all these different coaches like the one at ISU and a Kelvin Sampson at IU who hasn't even been able to set up shop completely yet there. Hell, Matt Painter seems like a much better recruiter than Weber.

In the end, I know this sounds like hindsight, but I think the Illini should've gone after Thad Matta when they Tom Crean told them he wouldn't leave Marquette. Matta is great at recruiting and is great at getting the best out of his players. Hell, I think I'd rehire Lon Kruger. I know it sounds like a lot of complaining on my part, which it is, but I'm calling it how it is. In college, talent is a huge part of successful program.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Sep 29, 2006 -> 09:00 PM)
In the end, I know this sounds like hindsight, but I think the Illini should've gone after Thad Matta when they Tom Crean told them he wouldn't leave Marquette. Matta is great at recruiting and is great at getting the best out of his players. Hell, I think I'd rehire Lon Kruger. I know it sounds like a lot of complaining on my part, which it is, but I'm calling it how it is. In college, talent is a huge part of successful program.

You're bashing Illinois for not going after someone else, yet the man at the helms right now led them to by far their greatest season in their history? Instead you suggest guys like Lon Kruger who can't even get UNLV off its feet right now(And, IMO, won't see the top half of the MWC this year either). Or Thad Matta who has seen the 2nd weekend of the NCAA tournamnet just once now. This all over a guy who has won about 90 games in his first three years, has two Big Ten titles, a Final Four banner, a National-Runner up banner, a Big Ten Tournament Championship banner, and has produced a few All-American players?

QUOTE(Buehrle>Wood @ Sep 29, 2006 -> 05:47 PM)
You're bashing Illinois for not going after someone else, yet the man at the helms right now led them to by far their greatest season in their history? Instead you suggest guys like Lon Kruger who can't even get UNLV off its feet right now(And, IMO, won't see the top half of the MWC this year either). Or Thad Matta who has seen the 2nd weekend of the NCAA tournamnet just once now. This all over a guy who has won about 90 games in his first three years, has two Big Ten titles, a Final Four banner, a National-Runner up banner, a Big Ten Tournament Championship banner, and has produced a few All-American players?

Love the enthusiasm, but Bill Self recruited that team...Bruce Weber would never bring in studs like that team had.

QUOTE(Jimbo @ Sep 30, 2006 -> 08:27 AM)
Love the enthusiasm, but Bill Self recruited that team...Bruce Weber would never bring in studs like that team had.

well that's not quite correct. people most attribute illinois's recent success to deron williams, dee brown, and james augustine. those guys were awesome and kudos to self for bringing them in.

that said, deron was a four-star, dee was a five-star, and augie was a three-star. if (big if) gordon comes this year, then weber will have pulled in a five star (gordon), a four star (mccamey), and two three stars (tisdale and cole). so, provided gordon comes, weber will have brought in exactly the kinds of players ratings-wise that self did to build the base of a final four team. does that portend or guarantee any future success? heck no, but if that class (plus another guy since there still is another schollie available) all ends up at illinois next year, i'm going to have a hard time buying the "weber can't recruit" argument any more.

don't get me wrong. i think the criticism of weber's recruiting is valid. any time you lose out on in-state players like julian wright, sherron collins, jon scheyer, and derrick rose in succession, a red flag goes up. no doubt there are some mitigating circumstances in the recruitments of those players, but at the end of the day a coach is judged on results and those results are not good enough.

Edited by thedoctor

QUOTE(Jimbo @ Sep 30, 2006 -> 08:27 AM)

Ridiculous.

2007's class features a guard more highly coveted than Dee Brown, and a PG more highly ranked than Deron Williams was.

Luther Head, Deron Williams, Roger Powell, and James Augustine were not stars until Weber got to them. There's a reason for that.

QUOTE(Jimbo @ Sep 30, 2006 -> 03:27 AM)

Self did not recruit anything like he has at KU at Illinois. Our top 6 guys on the final 4 team were Brown, Williams, Head, Powell, Augustine, and Ingram. Ingram was a walkon. Powell actually committed to Kruger. Head was not a top 100 recruit. Augustine was ranked around 75. Deron around 50. Dee was around 20. Not exactly can't miss stud talent there.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan99 @ Sep 30, 2006 -> 12:31 PM)
Self did not recruit anything like he has at KU at Illinois. Our top 6 guys on the final 4 team were Brown, Williams, Head, Powell, Augustine, and Ingram. Ingram was a walkon. Powell actually committed to Kruger. Head was not a top 100 recruit. Augustine was ranked around 75. Deron around 50. Dee was around 20. Not exactly can't miss stud talent there.

Ingram was actually recruited by Self, but Self then went to Illinois, and Ingram followed him.

four-star power forward a.j. stewart has narrowed his list to illinois and kentucky. he'll visit illinois oct. 7, and kentucky on oct. 14.

this will be a tough get for illinois. kentucky is his dream school and they get the final look.

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Oct 9, 2006 -> 11:38 PM)

ST is not as gullible as Peegs or the IB, but I'll debunk this guy's credibility anyway by posting what I posted at the aforementioned sites:

sportsyenta.blogspot.com/...ed-to.html

I realize threads reporting this have already been deleted, but I feel this needs to be addressed, or else we'll just keep seeing the same threads over and over again.

Here is why the blog should be taken as a farud:

1. It's a FREE blog. Anyone could just make that news up themselves. EVEN ME! See? ericgordonillinois.blogspot.com/

2. Read the quotes: "Eric wants to be closer to home so his parents can come see him play every game, and he takes a lot of pride in Indiana Basketball. He wants to be a part of returning the Hoosiers to glory."

This would be something found in a public statement by the university of the Gordon family, not some anonymous source.

3. Backtracking: That being said, we could not get confirmation of it, though if you pay attention to what people around college basketball are saying, this report would fit right in with that chatter.

Translation: "Just in case it does turn out to be false, don't see we didn't warn you!"

4. Homerism. From the Kelvim Sampon picture to the last line, this guy is clearly no more than a IU fan. Man, I bet this will really piss off the guys over at firecoachsampson.com.

Bitter much?

Oh and there is much more not to believe this guy, these are just a few of the reasons.

Of course, neither the IB or Peegs listened to me. They all backed this guy's credibility with things like "But he posts about football and baseball too". And? What does that have to do with IU or UI basketball.

QUOTE(Buehrle>Wood @ Oct 9, 2006 -> 07:48 PM)
ST is not as gullible as Peegs or the IB, but I'll debunk this guy's credibility anyway by posting what I posted at the aforementioned sites:

Of course, neither the IB or Peegs listened to me. They all backed this guy's credibility with things like "But he posts about football and baseball too". And? What does that have to do with IU or UI basketball.

Yeah. I'd have problem believing the same article if it were on ESPN, Sportsline, Yahoo, etc. Somehow Gordon's been able to keep this whole thing very hush for how big of a deal it's become. I'm just going to keep believing that he's going to UI, until I hear him say otherwise.

QUOTE(IlliniKrush @ Oct 11, 2006 -> 11:13 PM)
He's going to IU, and everyone knows it.

I highly doubt it. The only things we have that say this are lame unamed sources. The only person willing to throw his name out there(Mark Tupper) with the story said it is about 90-10 that Gordon goes to Illinois.

Seems to me Illinois fans simply can't believe this because they've been locked into a state of pessimism.

QUOTE(IlliniKrush @ Oct 11, 2006 -> 06:13 PM)
He's going to IU, and everyone knows it.

There is a better chance of Rose to Illinois than Gordon to Indiana. Only reason this story has been this crazy is the peegs dorks that are speculating and starting rumors (and that's not hating on the Indiana fans here, who aren't stupid). Gordon will re affirm publicly to Illinois soon, and the peegs dorks will go crazy, even though they will be fine since Sampson is doing a great job recruiting.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Oct 11, 2006 -> 10:48 PM)
There is a better chance of Rose to Illinois than Gordon to Indiana. Only reason this story has been this crazy is the peegs dorks that are speculating and starting rumors (and that's not hating on the Indiana fans here, who aren't stupid). Gordon will re affirm publicly to Illinois soon, and the peegs dorks will go crazy, even though they will be fine since Sampson is doing a great job recruiting.

This isn't true. It is clear he was at least thinking about Indiana. Now unless Gordon is constantly lying to McCamey, the other recruits, and the coaching staff I think he will be an Illini. But stranger things have happened.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan99 @ Oct 12, 2006 -> 12:07 AM)
This isn't true. It is clear he was at least thinking about Indiana. Now unless Gordon is constantly lying to McCamey, the other recruits, and the coaching staff I think he will be an Illini. But stranger things have happened.

There was a time he was thinking about Indiana, your correct. That time ended a couple of months ago now though, and it wasn't as serious as many thought. It was more a case of him giving Sampson a chance, and hey, that's more than fair.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Oct 12, 2006 -> 12:49 AM)
There was a time he was thinking about Indiana, your correct. That time ended a couple of months ago now though, and it wasn't as serious as many thought.

:huh: :unsure:

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Oct 11, 2006 -> 10:48 PM)
There is a better chance of Rose to Illinois than Gordon to Indiana.

:lol: