Buerhle says no to WBC

Al Lopez's Ghost

Mark Buehrle was on AM 670 this morning. He said the he will not be pitching in the world baseball classic. He told the manager 2 weeks ago. He is still on the roster in case he changes his mind. He's pretty sure he will not change his mind. He wants to rest his arm after pitching so much and winning the WORLD SERIES.

Sorry if this has already been reported.

QUOTE(103 mph screwball @ Jan 7, 2006 -> 11:51 AM)
Mark Buehrle was on AM 670 this morning.  He said the he will not be pitching in the world baseball classic.  He told the manager 2 weeks ago.  He is still on the roster in case he changes his mind.  He's pretty sure he will not change his mind.  He wants to rest his arm after pitching so much and winning the WORLD SERIES. 

That is good news! I think that he has earned a bit of a rest. :gosox1:

QUOTE(103 mph screwball @ Jan 7, 2006 -> 12:51 PM)
Mark Buehrle was on AM 670 this morning.  He said the he will not be pitching in the world baseball classic.  He told the manager 2 weeks ago.  He is still on the roster in case he changes his mind.  He's pretty sure he will not change his mind.  He wants to rest his arm after pitching so much and winning the WORLD SERIES. 

It is ok, there is another post a couple down from here. Regardless, it is good to see. I hope Freddy follows suit.

QUOTE(maggsmaggs @ Jan 7, 2006 -> 12:54 PM)
I doubt Freddy skips the classic, but Vazquez might.

Hmm, I was hoping it was going to be the other way around if anything. Freddy logged 250 innings last season counting the post-season, 35 more innings than Vazquez.

QUOTE(RME JICO @ Jan 7, 2006 -> 12:06 PM)
If Garcia gets burnt out, I will be pissed.  That is a lot of innings for a pitcher.

That's probably why KW is seriously considering keeping Count and having B-mac as the 6th starter in the bullpen. If there is one guy I worry about with the innings, it is Freddy. Even though, he is a horse and has a big frame, he has shown to get tired towards the end of the season and really has poor performences. We really do need some insurance for him.

QUOTE(maggsmaggs @ Jan 7, 2006 -> 01:13 PM)
That's probably why KW is seriously considering keeping Count and having B-mac as the 6th starter in the bullpen.  If there is one guy I worry about with the innings, it is Freddy.  Even though, he is a horse and has a big frame, he has shown to get tired towards the end of the season and really has poor performences.  We really do need some insurance for him.

The Major League season should not be impacted in anyway by this BS tournament. I am glad the Sox are preparing for all scenarios, but we are not even worrying about innings if there is no WBC.

Here's a thought...if Garcia and Vazquez, or 1 of those 2, were also to pull out, would we have less need of a backup 6th starter? Would that make pulling off that last trade and going with 5 guys a little easier?

Anywho, this thing started coming apart the day it was thought of. ARod's shenanigoats and the idiocy over Cuba is only hastening its demise.

Some Jackass cub fan just called into the score and how Mark Buerhle doesnt have pride in his country. That even though Prior and Wood are hurt they would pitch for their country.

GMAFB. Maybe they should go back to worrying about if Wood is going to make more than 10 starts. Or if Prior will have elbow issues this year. Or maybe they should just worry about 1908.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Jan 7, 2006 -> 01:24 PM)
Some Jackass cub fan just called into the score and how Mark Buerhle doesnt have pride in his country.  That even though Prior and Wood are hurt they would pitch for their country.

GMAFB.  Maybe they should go back to worrying about if Wood is going to make more than 10 starts. Or if Prior will have elbow issues this year.  Or maybe they should just worry about 1908.

What a Rainbow warrior! Mark pitched more innings than Prior and Wood combined in the regular season alone.

Politte and McCarthy each pitched more than Wood in 2005.

I thought someone mentioned how Cubs fans worry about the Cubs, and that Sox fans worry about the Cubs. It looks like some Cubs fans are now worrying about the Sox.

Its a cool concept, the problem is when it comes to pitching you just can't afford to have guys making millions of dollars putting extra stress on there arms. Its hard enough for a full season, let alone adding to it.

I'd like to see some sort of tourney but use minor leaguers. It would be a great opportunity for minor league players and would allow for fans to follow minor leaguers.

Of course it wouldn't have the star names that would probably be required to sell seats (at least in the US) but I bet in Japan and other venues they would have no trouble putting fans in the seats.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Jan 7, 2006 -> 01:24 PM)
Some Jackass cub fan just called into the score and how Mark Buerhle doesnt have pride in his country.  That even though Prior and Wood are hurt they would pitch for their country.

What was great was Chris Rongii (sp?) saying that someone called in from his car but he couldn't say on the air who it was, but the guy was furious at the jackass Cub fan.

He made it pretty clear that it was Buehrle who had just been on the show like ten minutes earlier.

Pretty funny.

QUOTE(wsgdf_2 @ Jan 7, 2006 -> 03:02 PM)
What was great was Chris Rongii (sp?) saying that someone called in from his car but he couldn't say on the air who it was, but the guy was furious at the jackass Cub fan.

He made it pretty clear that it was Buehrle who had just been on the show like ten minutes earlier.

Pretty funny.

Good for Mark. That Cubs fan is a bonehead - typical though.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jan 7, 2006 -> 01:40 PM)
Its a cool concept, the problem is when it comes to pitching you just can't afford to have guys making millions of dollars putting extra stress on there arms.  Its hard enough for a full season, let alone adding to it. 

I'd like to see some sort of tourney but use minor leaguers.  It would be a great opportunity for minor league players and would allow for fans to follow minor leaguers.

Of course it wouldn't have the star names that would probably be required to sell seats (at least in the US) but I bet in Japan and other venues they would have no trouble putting fans in the seats.

I think they used to call that "Olympic baseball." :D