Abreu rumor

BigSqwert

QUOTE(southsideirish @ Jan 23, 2006 -> 07:20 PM)
Get used to it. That is the way he/she posts. He/She thinks he/she is the only one that knows anything about baseball. He/She has made that obvious many times.

Dont jump in a thread not knowing what was posted and make a ignorant personal comment. We werent even discussing baseball, take your grudges elsewhere.

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jan 23, 2006 -> 07:19 PM)
Nice work.  Now if you go back and research net PnLs for the Sox over the years and then correlate it to the net change in next years payroll, you will see it matches almost exactly.

I already posted this concept, it seems that as soon as it is brought up, it is ignored.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jan 23, 2006 -> 07:37 PM)
Well I can respect the guys post.  He did a lot of work, and put some thought into it.  It was excellent work.

Agreed, better than an IQ score follow by jibberish.

With respect to the sox organization. I would have a hard time thinking our payroll would ever reach to the heights that other teams have taken it. I think JR is a pretty capable businessman, and I dont see us overextending ourselves in that way.

QUOTE(Steve Bartman's my idol @ Jan 23, 2006 -> 09:37 PM)
Rock...you're trying to have it both ways.

First you say that the investors own the Sox (a business) to make money.

Then you say that they don't make money, that there is a zero sum gain year after year.

Which is it?

BTW...Southside Irish is absolutely right!

more changing of your argument. Give it up man, its over. game. set. pwned.

Class is out.

QUOTE(Frank the Tank 35 @ Jan 23, 2006 -> 05:12 PM)
Damn do you guys like throwing down.  Now for some actual numbers...

2005 final payroll ~ $75 million

2004 attendance- 1,930,537

2005 attendance (excluding playoffs)- 2,342,834

2004 avg ticket price- $22.71

FCI (cost for a family of 4 to go to the game done by Team Marketing)- $171.35

2005 avg ticket price- $25.89 (up 14%)

FCI- $188.07 (up 9.8%)

2004 att/ 4 (family)= 482,634.25 x 2004 FCI= 82,699,378.7375

2005 att/ 4= 585,708.5 x 2005 FCI= 110,154,197.595

therefore $75 mill/ 82,699... should approximately equal x/ 110,154... where x= 2006 salary

solve for x, x= $99,898,753.12

Again, this does not include the postseason and the ridiculous hike in merchandise sales.  Gentlemen, some of you may hate to admit this but Andy the Clown could have been damn right on when he said the actual budget cap was $106 mil.

Now that I've gotten that out, I'd like to reiterate the fact that I think trading a package including JC for Abreu(+?) at this time is unwise.  We DO need some people in the bullpen after all.  So unless we can add an impact arm without giving up the pieces for Abreu, then it just wouldn't work out.  Could we trade BA for a BP arm?  I don't think KW would do it.  I'm just making the point that I don't think the budget is the most contraining issue here.  The 2005 figures equate to an average attendance of 28,923 per game, or about 5,000 less per game than this board's "expected" average next season.

There's one more key item you're missing in your analysis. When you take the "Average cost of a family of 4 going to the game" there's 1 problem...because it's an average, there's a bias in that number. If people are spending hundreds of dollars on scout seats, VIP parking, and new jerseys at the store...they're going to more than bias the average cost per family.

Now, my question would be this...if we were to increase from 35,000 fans a game to 100% sellouts...are the increased seat purchases going to come from people paying $500 a game, or are they going to come from those paying $50 a game and taking the open slots in the upper deck? I would say it's vastly more likely to be those sitting in the Upper Deck...the people who buy the expensive seats and have money to burn are going to buy the best seats up early. Those seats just don't float around. They get sold in Season Ticket Packages, Ozzie plans, etc.

This is another case of diminishing returns...yes, every fan in the seats helps...but at some level...adding more fans in decreases the average amount of money spent per fan, because the extra fans we're putting in are those who are paying less money per game.

QUOTE(Steve Bartman's my idol @ Jan 23, 2006 -> 09:37 PM)
Rock...you're trying to have it both ways.

First you say that the investors own the Sox (a business) to make money.

Then you say that they don't make money, that there is a zero sum gain year after year.

Which is it?

BTW...Southside Irish is absolutely right!

And yet you still haven't provided one iota of actual proof. This thread is over.

QUOTE(Steve Bartman's my idol @ Jan 24, 2006 -> 09:34 AM)
If you had paid attention, I said IN MY OPINION, JR and the investors are making a sizable profit, and I DON'T BELIEVE them when they say they invest their profits back into the team!

:bang

So you are calling the White Sox franchise and Forbes magazine liars? Interesting. Got anymore new material? I hear Carrot Top is working on his act again.

QUOTE(Steve Bartman's my idol @ Jan 24, 2006 -> 09:32 AM)
You have reading comprehension deficiencies, Rock.

I'm done with you too, because you can't understand simple Business 101, (or English 101 as well!).

We have comprehension deficiencies? We dont understand Business 101? Thats rich.

I so quickly forget that we are all dealing with The Donald here, so please forgive me.

I havent seen someone pwned this many times in a thread since Anthrax proclaimed the season over because we didnt acquire Orlando Cabrera.

So you are calling the White Sox franchise and Forbes magazine liars?  Interesting.  Got anymore new material?  I hear Carrot Top is working on his act again.

I remember this little tidbit...back in the 80s-90s, Kirby Puckett was one of my favorite players. The year he came up for free agency, the Sox needed a CF and publicly claimed interest in acquiring Puckett.

After he re-signed with the Twins, JR announced that the Sox had made a strong offer(s) to try to sign Puckett. Subsequently, in an interview, Puckett said that he had NEVER been contacted by anyone from the WhiteSox organization.

Would JR lie?

It's called "spin".

I think Forbes was probably fed a line of b.s. from the Sox, and ran with it.

NOTE (FOR ALL OF YOU WHO CANNOT SEEM TO UNDERSTAND ENGLISH) THIS IS ONLY MY OPINION! Obviously I am intellectually inferior to Rock, Kyle, etc., so please bear with me. Thanks.

Edited by Steve Bartman's my idol

QUOTE(Steve Bartman's my idol @ Jan 24, 2006 -> 08:32 AM)
You have reading comprehension deficiencies, Rock.

I'm done with you too, because you can't understand simple Business 101, (or English 101 as well!).

You werent even quoting me dude.

You lost me at claiming to be a lawyer, care to refute that claim? You have no argument, no facts, no anything.

You werent even quoting me dude. 

You lost me at claiming to be a lawyer, care to refute that claim?  You have no argument, no facts, no anything.

Not that I have to prove anything to you, but, I will be more than willing to bet you ANY amount of money that you are willing to put up that I am in fact a licensed attorney.

Would you like to bet, say, $1,000.00, professor?

It's put up or shut up time...YOU HAVE BEEN "CALLED OUT".

QUOTE(Steve Bartman's my idol @ Jan 24, 2006 -> 09:46 AM)
Not that I have to prove anything to you, but, I will be more than willing to bet you ANY amount of money that you are willing to put up that I am in fact a licensed attorney.

Would you like to bet, say, $1,000.00, professor?

It's put up or shut up time...YOU HAVE BEEN "CALLED OUT".

Pfff, ok its a deal. Meet me under the swingset with your "proof"

I love internet call outs.

QUOTE(Steve Bartman's my idol @ Jan 24, 2006 -> 10:40 AM)
I remember this little tidbit...back in the 80s-90s, Kirby Puckett was one of my favorite players. The year he came up for free agency, the Sox needed a CF and publicly claimed interest in acquiring Puckett.

After he re-signed with the Twins, JR announced that the Sox had made a strong offer(s) to try to sign Puckett. Subsequently, in an interview, Puckett said that he had NEVER been contacted by anyone from the WhiteSox organization.

Would JR lie?

It's called "spin".

I think Forbes was probably fed a line of b.s. from the Sox, and ran with it.

NOTE (FOR ALL OF YOU WHO CANNOT SEEM TO UNDERSTAND ENGLISH) THIS IS ONLY MY OPINION! Obviously I am intellectually inferior to Rock, Kyle, etc., so please bear with me.  Thanks.

Talking about his interest in a player is way different than saying he is cooking the books. You are accusing the White Sox of lying about their PnL with ZERO proof of anything, only your opinion. Saying things like that equate to slander, which is amusing because I would think as a fine attorney such as yourself would know better than to open yourself up to lawsuits, wouldn't you?

Forbes gets data from Fortune 500 companies everyday. It is their job to know who is full of s***. They actual were the ones who challenged MLB when they said a great majority of teams were losing money before their last CBA. No one else did so. When it comes to looking at the books of a baseball team vs a multinational corporation, I think I trust Forbes over your slanderous opinion.

Talking about his interest in a player is way different than saying he is cooking the books.  You are accusing the White Sox of lying about their PnL with ZERO proof of anything, only your opinion.  Saying things like that equate to slander, which is amusing because I would think as a fine attorney such as yourself would know better than to open yourself up to lawsuits, wouldn't you?

Forbes gets data from Fortune 500 companies everyday.  It is their job to know who is full of s***.  They actual were the ones who challenged MLB when they said a great majority of teams were losing money before their last CBA.  No one else did so.  When it comes to looking at the books of a baseball team vs a multinational corporation, I think I trust Forbes over your slanderous opinion.

I stand corrected.

We should never try to improve the team IF it means going over the budget. Even if we could get A-Rod for Timo, we can't/shouldn't do it.

You win...I've been schooled.

:notworthy

QUOTE(Steve Bartman's my idol @ Jan 24, 2006 -> 11:28 AM)
Do you want to bet or not?

Nut-up or shut up.

What part of its a deal did you not understand? I thought you brokered multi billion dollar deals in your sleep?

Make the check out to Rockraines please.