Abreu rumor

BigSqwert

QUOTE(Steve Bartman's my idol @ Jan 23, 2006 -> 03:57 PM)
Some of you talk like the Whitesox are a "Not-for-Profit" corporation. That is just plain stupid.

Are you serious? What part of that even makes sense. We are talking about the team not being in debt, and you assume that makes them non-profit? Seriously, are you currently taking freshman business classes?

Your view is that they should extend their finances beyond their means, because they will be able to afford it this year, but probably not the year after that. But that doesnt matter to you as long as they make a run at the title this year. You are basically talking about running a company at a loss so they can perform great one year, but then gradually lose money and customers for the next 10 years. How is that a good business model?

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you serious?  What part of that even makes sense.  We are talking about the team not being in debt, and you assume that makes them non-profit?  Seriously, are you currently taking freshman business classes?

Your view is that they should extend their finances beyond their means, because they will be able to afford it this year, but probably not the year after that.  But that doesnt matter to you as long as they make a run at the title this year.  You are basically talking about running a company at a loss so they can perform great one year, but then gradually lose money and customers for the next 10 years.  How is that a good business model?

One of the posters said that the Sox historically reinvest the previous seasons' profits every year. I do not believe that. That's what I meant to say.

Would you agree that Sox ownership is in the business to make money?

Edited by Steve Bartman's my idol

QUOTE(Steve Bartman's my idol @ Jan 23, 2006 -> 03:57 PM)
Some of you talk like the Whitesox are a "Not-for-Profit" corporation. That is just plain stupid.

Well then, if they are trying to maximize profits, why would they take on Abreu's contract? Seems to me adding that much to the payroll won't pay off unless they won it all again, and no matter what kind of talent you have on the roster, you need more than a couple of breaks to win it all.

QUOTE(Steve Bartman's my idol @ Jan 23, 2006 -> 02:32 PM)
Operating on a budget means not spending more than you have. The Sox are FAR from spending more than they have or make.

This is the best. If my attorney gave me this advice, I would be a little suspicious.

"Ok, this is how we will draw up the budget you will live on. First we will take every dime you make and make sure we spend it in the plan."

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jan 23, 2006 -> 05:07 PM)
Kyle-

WWSBMID?

I think its definitely in order. It almost deserves its own sig, complete with a heavenly halo and angels in the background. Say it with reverence folks, "What Would Steve-Bartman's-My-Idol Do?"

Well then, if they are trying to maximize profits, why would they take on Abreu's contract? Seems to me adding that much to the payroll won't pay off unless they won it all again, and no matter what kind of talent you have on the roster, you need more than a couple of breaks to win it all.

The first (unwritten) Rule of Business..."It takes money to make money.".

QUOTE(Steve Bartman's my idol @ Jan 23, 2006 -> 02:11 PM)

And I take it the $95 million we're spending in salary this year is not money because...the players have agreed to be paid in the form of items from Wendy's dollar menu?

"Today, Jon Garland signed a contract extension with the white sox worth a reported 9 million Frosties a year."

Edited by Balta1701

QUOTE(Steve Bartman's my idol @ Jan 23, 2006 -> 04:11 PM)

Is that before or after: "Lunch is for wimps"

I believe it was in the same chapter as this one: "The richest one percent of this country owns half our country's wealth, five trillion dollars. One third of that comes from hard work, two thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons and what I do, stock and real estate speculation. It's bulls***. You got ninety percent of the American public out there with little or no net worth. I create nothing. I own. "

Edited by RockRaines

QUOTE(Steve Bartman's my idol @ Jan 23, 2006 -> 05:14 PM)
Rock...you and your girlfriend Kyle make a sweet couple. I wish you the best.    :banghead

Love how your argument slowly dissolved from

The White Sox make tons of money, spend it....to

Im a brilliant lawyer, went to school here, got passed the bar here....to

Here are a bunch of random business principles, which dont apply...to

Rock and Kyyle are gay because they keep proving me wrong, and Im still smart.

Its been fun today, thank you for that. :lol:

QUOTE(Steve Bartman's my idol @ Jan 23, 2006 -> 02:17 PM)
I cannot believe the ignorance of some of you.

Who here wouldn't spend $50 to make $100?

You have not yet explained how exactly spending money on Bobby Abreu this year will make the White Sox a richer team.

QUOTE(Steve Bartman's my idol @ Jan 23, 2006 -> 05:20 PM)
And this is not an ignorant statement?

Your bias is definitely showing.

Ah yes, it was ignorant. Mostly because ignorance in the face of ignorance is the best route to go.

But hey, I didnt call you gay, now did I?

edit: My bias towards what? Abreu? Your theory that the Sox should spend tons of money now? The Phillies? You? The only thing I have argued is against your theory of the Sox spending tons of money.

Edited by kyyle23

Love how your argument slowly dissolved from

The White Sox make tons of money, spend it....to

Im a brilliant lawyer, went to school here, got passed the bar here....to

Here are a bunch of random business principles, which dont apply...to

Rock and Kyyle are gay because they keep proving me wrong, and Im still smart.

Its been fun today, thank you for that. :lol:

Never said you were gay, I said you are a girl!

Ah yes, it was ignorant.  Mostly because ignorance in the face of ignorance is the best route to go. 

But hey, I didnt call you gay, now did I?

edit:  My bias towards what?  Abreu?  Your theory that the Sox should spend tons of money now?  The Phillies?  You?  The only thing I have argued is against your theory of the Sox spending tons of money.

Your blind faith in Rock is touching, Kyle.

QUOTE(Steve Bartman's my idol @ Jan 23, 2006 -> 04:23 PM)
1. Abreu improves the team.

2. An improved team has a better chance to repeat as champions.

3. A championship teams draw more fans.

1+2+3= MORE MONEY!

I like how you didnt touch my posts.

Secondly-fact is, we are already champions, so we probably have hit our peak value all things considered. The odds are we wont repeat as champions even with the aquisition of an overpriced, declining slugger. So we will increase our expenses while most likely seeing a decrease in returns. This would make a decrease in profit margin, which would actually makes us less money!!

I like how you didnt touch my posts.

Secondly-fact is, we are already champions, so we probably have hit our peak value all things considered.  The odds are we wont repeat as champions even with the aquisition of an overpriced, declining slugger.  So we will increase our expenses while most likely seeing a decrease in returns.  This would make a decrease in profit margin, which would actually makes us less money!!

Then by your "logic", since the odds of us repeating are slim, we should be dumping all of our big money players, and go for as much profit as possible?!