Abreu rumor

BigSqwert

My friend left me a voicemail last night that he heard Bruce Levine mention a possible deal for Abreu. Something like Contreras and Dye and a prospect. I haven't seen this anywhere or heard it on the radio. Is my friend pulling my leg? :huh

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ Jan 8, 2006 -> 07:12 PM)
My friend left me a voicemail last night that he heard Bruce Levine mention a possible deal for Abreu.  Something like Contreras and Dye and a prospect.  I haven't seen this anywhere or heard it on the radio.  Is my friend pulling my leg?  :huh

IF this is true, it's laughable. That's way too much for Abreu.

I hope we don't trade Dye. He is only making $5 million next season and has a cheap $6 million team option for 2007. I know our defense would suck but if we traded for Abreu, I'd rather have an outfield of Abreu in LF, Podsednik in CF, and Dye in RF. Maybe start Brian Anderson over Podsednik in CF against lefties. Our offense would be killer...

CF Podsednik (lefty)

2B Iguchi (righty)

LF Abreu (lefty)

1B Konerko (righty)

DH Thome (lefty)

RF Dye (righty)

C Pierzynski (lefty)

3B Crede (righty)

SS Uribe (righty)

Talk about a balanced offense.

Edited by SSH2005

IF this is true, it's laughable.  That's way too much for Abreu.

Not really. A good starting pitcher who is only signed for one year, a 32 year old outfielder who isn't as good as Abreu but under a nice contract, and a prospect for one of the best outfielders in baseball doesn't seem like overpaying to me. It's similar to what Tejada would cost but Abreu is a much better hitter.

guys the other thing is, look where we got last year with our pitching and defense. yeah adding a bat (thome) will help a ton, but our defense even as it is right now is severely downgraded.

our team last year made baseball prospectus rethink their take on defense. they now say that defense actually CAN help you (and in our case DID) win games. if we were to trade for Abreu, we would just be the Red Sox with, granted, slightly better pitching. I'm not sure any of us want that. I'd be just fine without either Abreu or Tejada. I think we're good to go as is.

The other day, a poster said that Paul White of USATODAY reported in a chat transcript that the Sox and the Phillies were discussing a Contreras for Abreu and Ryan Madson trade. I can't find the actual article to back it up though. Maybe the rumored deal is actually Contreras, Dye, and a prospect for Abreu and Madson. I don't see why the Phillies would want to trade Madson but he would be a welcome addition to our bullpen.

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Jan 8, 2006 -> 02:59 PM)
Where did you see or hear this?  Just curious.  I've been our of the trade rumor loop lately.

It was on the side of Cheat's blog yesterday. A guy heard the rumors about this deal last week, and he said Levine was on the radio yesterday saying the deal was nixed.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Jan 8, 2006 -> 12:01 PM)
It was on the side of Cheat's blog yesterday.  A guy heard the rumors about this deal last week, and he said Levine was on the radio yesterday saying the deal was nixed.

Cool beans. Who nixed it? Sox or Phils

QUOTE(Reddy @ Jan 8, 2006 -> 02:55 PM)
guys the other thing is, look where we got last year with our pitching and defense.  yeah adding a bat (thome) will help a ton, but our defense even as it is right now is severely downgraded.

our team last year made baseball prospectus rethink their take on defense.  they now say that defense actually CAN help you (and in our case DID) win games.  if we were to trade for Abreu, we would just be the Red Sox with, granted, slightly better pitching.  I'm not sure any of us want that.  I'd be just fine without either Abreu or Tejada.  I think we're good to go as is.

Really? The only change defensively is Anderson. And Anderson, from all reports, is no slouch with the glove. If he is as good as Rowand remains to be seen, but I think saying that our defense is severely downgraded is an overstatement. I'd go more with "slightly downgraded in center field."

QUOTE(KevHead0881 @ Jan 8, 2006 -> 03:05 PM)
Really?  The only change defensively is Anderson.  And Anderson, from all reports, is no slouch with the glove.  If he is as good as Rowand remains to be seen, but I think saying that our defense is severely downgraded is an overstatement.  I'd go more with "slightly downgraded in center field."

aaron was arguably the best CF in the game last year, only making 3 errors all year.

no way anderson matches or comes close to that.

QUOTE(WilliamTell @ Jan 8, 2006 -> 03:12 PM)
If Abreu put on a homer display like he did in the Home Run Derby and kept getting those RBI's I'd like it.

note how he did the rest of the year... yeah abreu is good but not worth destroying our defense (abreu, anderson, pods? ick)

QUOTE(Reddy @ Jan 8, 2006 -> 02:14 PM)
note how he did the rest of the year...  yeah abreu is good but not worth destroying our defense (abreu, anderson, pods?  ick)

Um... Abreu won a gold glove this past year, he has to be a good OF to win that award

QUOTE(Reddy @ Jan 8, 2006 -> 03:12 PM)
aaron was arguably the best CF in the game last year, only making 3 errors all year.

no way anderson matches or comes close to that.

Will he match those error totals? Your right, he most likely wont. Hell, Rowand might have a tough time matching that this year.

I don't want to diminish how good Rowand was defensively, cause he was damn good. But he did occasionally get bad reads on balls (the Crede walkoff game against Cleveland and a couple games in the playoffs come to mind) and he wasn't the most athletic guy out there. Anderson is said to be an above-average fielder, and IIRC, is faster than Rowand. He could possibly get to balls that Rowand couldn't.

Of course, we don't know that for sure, and athletic ability doesn't always equate to defensive success, but based on everything we've heard, Anderson should be more than able to hold his own. And if all we did was replace a great defensive CF with a pretty good defensive CF, I don't see how we have severely downgraded overall.

I do agree with you on your original post though. Replacing Dye with Abreu won't help us defensively.

QUOTE(KevHead0881 @ Jan 8, 2006 -> 03:05 PM)
Really?  The only change defensively is Anderson.  And Anderson, from all reports, is no slouch with the glove.  If he is as good as Rowand remains to be seen, but I think saying that our defense is severely downgraded is an overstatement.  I'd go more with "slightly downgraded in center field."

I agree. I don't think the D will take as big of a hit as everyone is making out. It is not like Rowand made 20 catches with 3 highlight reel catches per game. Also, Rowand has always been pretty good, but he took another step last year. So Anderson right now won't do what Rowand did last year, but how many plays will actually be negatively affected by Anderson's defense?

I think the big thing here is Pods got better,as the year went on. I dont know if he was working with Rowand or what but,he looked 50% better at the end of the year and playoffs. I had tickets in left fiedls all year and reads were like night and day.

Now you add Mackowiak to back up at third,and Thome to back up first. I dont know about you guys but Timo at first,and Blum at third I would'nt call great D. I think we got better. I also dont think Dye was all that most of the year,that will most likely improve!

I would hope that KW would not trade Dye unless he wanted to be traded. Dye honored a handshake agreement with KW and ended up taking less money from the Sox. That should be rewarded. If you trade guys who take less money to play for your team, that may make it less likely that someone else would sign. It would be different if Dye was sucking and not earning his money.