Sox Hire Chris Singleton to Join Ed Farmer

thedoctor

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't hate DJ nearly as much as most people do. I realize he's not very good at his job, but at this point he's like a good friend doing the commentating. He's been around and I've grown to like the guy a whole lot. I find the broadcasts plenty interesting, when I'm not phasing them out because of tight situations, with Hawk and DJ.

And there is no call, nothing, that can compare to their homerun call when DJ joins in for the YES!

QUOTE(G&T @ Jan 12, 2006 -> 05:41 PM)
I think Ed Farmer will piss people off more than Singleton. I'm not sold on his play-by-play.

WOW! Someone finally cut through it all. The most upsetting element of Rooney's departure to me was the prospect of Eddie "the brain" Farmer handling the play by play and dominating the broadcast. He is boring, thinks he is a genius, and constantly name drops. On top of all that he still hasn't figured out that Dennis DeYoung and Styx are no longer cool. I live for baseball on radio in the summer but I dread listening to Farmer as the senior announcer in the booth. I have no idea about Singleton and as a violent agnostic couldn't care less about his faith. All I hope is that he develops his own style and doesn't become a stooge to Farmer like DJ is to Hawk.

WOW! Someone finally cut through it all. The most upsetting element of Rooney's departure to me was the prospect of Eddie "the brain" Farmer handling the play by play and dominating the broadcast. He is boring, thinks he is a genius, and constantly name drops. On top of all that he still hasn't figured out that Dennis DeYoung and Styx are no longer cool. I live for baseball on radio in the summer but I dread listening to Farmer as the senior announcer in the booth. I have no idea about Singleton and as a violent agnostic couldn't care less about his faith. All I hope is that he develops his own style and doesn't become a stooge to Farmer like DJ is to Hawk.

The absolute worst thing about Farmer is how he asks for every Sox batter to hit a homerun every at bat. It's pretty sad.

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Jan 12, 2006 -> 08:04 PM)
The absolute worst thing about Farmer is how he asks for every Sox batter to hit a homerun every at bat.  It's pretty sad.

Great Point. I do not know how many times I have heard him say "How about a long one?" I also cringe when I hear him break down a pitcher's thought process. "First you need to get the first out. Then you worry about getting the second." Thanks for the color Eddie. Now tell us how you played with Barry Bonds and how much you hate him.

Great Point. I do not know how many times I have heard him say "How about a long one?" I also cringe when I hear him break down a pitcher's thought process.  "First you need to get the first out. Then you worry about getting the second." Thanks for the color Eddie. Now tell us how you played with Barry Bonds and how much you hate him.

broadcaster_cws_farmer.jpg

"If Paul gets a waist-high heater right here, it could be 1-0 Sox before you know it."

:puke

At risk of giving Farmer some credit, the one thing I marvel at is his ability to predict the type of pitch coming and general location. With that said, it is usually Farmer who relays the subsequent pitch he has called for and we do not get to see it. For all we know he is lying about the results to validate his prediction.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Jan 12, 2006 -> 08:49 PM)
A bit of a random off topic question, but how many games do you listen to on the radio anyways?  Between directv, local tv, games mostly at night and/or on weekends......I hardly ever listen to games because I either have it on tv at home, or am out doing something.

Raised without Sportsvision/Sportschannel, I grew to appreciate baseball over the medium of radio. With a job, a garden, a grill, two kids, and a wife who tries to fill the rest of my summer with other projects, the radio is my best bet to keep up with the Sox. Couple that with the fact that I am completely tired of Hawk and DJ going down memory lane, I would say unless I am at the park, watching baseball is a rarity for me.

Raised without Sportsvision/Sportschannel, I grew to appreciate baseball over the medium of radio. With a job, a garden, a grill, two kids, and a wife who tries to fill the rest of my summer with other projects, the radio is my best bet to keep up with the Sox. Couple that with the fact that I am completely tired of Hawk and DJ going down memory lane, I would say unless I am at the park, watching baseball is a rarity for me.

What, you don't like hearing about Catfish Hunter and Japanese baseball every other game? :bang

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Jan 12, 2006 -> 09:12 PM)
What, you don't like hearing about Catfish Hunter and Japanese baseball every other game?  :bang

Every other game? How about every other breath? And don't forget all the insightful commentary from DJ as he discusses his time spent in Tony Gwynn's hotel room, breaking down each other's at bats.

Every other game? How about every other breath? And don't forget all the insightful commentary from DJ as he discusses his time spent in Tony Gwynn's hotel room, breaking down each other's at bats.

What I really love about DJ is when he talks about how the scrub pitchers with funky deliveries are the ones he really had trouble hitting. It's too bad DJ doesn't realize that all pitchers owned him in his career. :rolly

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Jan 12, 2006 -> 09:25 PM)
What I really love about DJ is when he talks about how the scrub pitchers with funky deliveries are the ones he really had trouble hitting.  It's too bad DJ doesn't realize that all pitchers owned him in his career.  :rolly

What's funny is in his brief time with the Sox, he filled in his outfield position fairly well and was not terrible at the dish either. Wasn't he also the guy who immediately signed a 2-3 year deal in Japan when the strike started? I suppose listening to Thomas and Reinsdorf, you weren't going to be too optimistic about the future of mlb at the time.

Is it possible this is a Wirtz-like plot to drive Sox fans to fill every seat this year? Unless Singleton really develops quickly, I am not sure I can handle any of the Sox' announcers, TV or radio. A full season ticket plan is looking pretty good right now. Maybe that is just what Reinsdorf wants.

Is it possible this is a Wirtz-like plot to drive Sox fans to fill every seat this year? Unless Singleton really develops quickly, I am not sure I can handle any of the Sox' announcers, TV or radio. A full season ticket plan is looking pretty good right now. Maybe that is just what Reinsdorf wants.

I doubt the Sox need any extra help selling ticket plans now. I think it's just the Score being cheap.