How close were the Sox from moving to Tampa?

zenryan

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jan 21, 2006 -> 04:38 PM)
The deadline had actually passed to get a stadium done... A miracle tear in the time space continuim made sure that it stayed 11:59 for about an extra half hour to get a deal done that saved the Chicago White Sox.  If it had "turned" to midnite the Sox were gone.

On one of the public broadcasting stations, they just did a thing about the flaw in the "space and time continuim" that allowed the Cell to be built. I think they did it during the World Series.

I remember that very well all to well. The Sox were extremely close to moving to Tampa. I remember I was moving from Michigan to Texas at the time and as I crossed the Illinois border, I was hoping for someone to save the Sox.

Well the Sox stayed in Chicago and all these years later I am still grateful for the night the clock stayed at 11:59pm to get the deal done.

:gosox1: :gosox4: :gosox2:

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Jan 21, 2006 -> 11:29 PM)
I don't remember any of this. I think that makes you all old. :D

I know what you mean. When you can remember something 18 years ago like it was yesterday, that is a sign that your getting old. Heck I can remember the 1976 White Sox like it was yesterday! :D :D :D :gosoxretro: :gosox2: :gosox3:

QUOTE(whitesox1976 @ Jan 22, 2006 -> 12:17 AM)
I know what you mean. When you can remember something 18 years ago like it was yesterday, that is a sign that your getting old.  Heck I can remember the 1976 White Sox like it was yesterday! :D  :D  :D  :gosoxretro:  :gosox2:  :gosox3:

I've got trouble remembering yesterday like it was yesterday. :)

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Jan 21, 2006 -> 10:18 PM)
Really close. There's an online book on Jerry Reinsdorf and Eddie Einhorn and I read like the first 4 chapters and they were talking about it.

Do you have a link or remember what it was called, I'd like to take a look at it.

The 80's were an interesting and tumultuous period for the White Sox. The baseball and money politics behind the Bartolo’s being blocked from buying the team and Reinsdorf’s group getting it, the estrangement of Bill Veeck. The courting of Carlton Fisk, the move to pay TV and the bad blood with Harry Carry and Jimmy Piersall. Ken Harrelson’s reign as GM and the firing of Tony Larussa. The whole stadium deal, including the role of Governor Thompson.

I could be a season from ‘Dallas’, we even have a JR.

I had a letter to the editor printed back then. I had drawn a logo for the St. Petersburg White Sox that looked kind of the St. Louis logo, but it formed a dollar sign.

It would certainly be interesting to see how that move would have worked out, but I can't imagine the neverending grief Sox fans would have taken from the Baby Bear Cult.

The biggest lie I can think of is that Sox fans would never support the Cubs. Eventually, the Cubs would be selling out every game like Boston. Die Hard Sox fans would never cross over, but many more would.

IMHO, the Cubs would have had a WS winner by now with the increased payroll am extra million fans would have brought in.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Jan 23, 2006 -> 08:17 AM)
The biggest lie I can think of is that Sox fans would never support the Cubs. Eventually, the Cubs would be selling out every game like Boston. Die Hard Sox fans would never cross over, but many more would.

IMHO, the Cubs would have had a WS winner by now with the increased payroll am extra million fans would have brought in.

That's Blasphemy!

I was in high school when this was happening and in May of 1988, the Sox played the Cubs in the old Crosstown Classic game at Wrigley. I think the game went like 15 innings.

Well during the game, a bunch of us Sox fans stood up and started chanting "Save our Sox!, Save our Sox!" I didn't realize until years later, how close we were to losing the 2005 World Champs to Florida.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Jan 23, 2006 -> 09:17 AM)

While I agree there would be plenty of Sox fans that eventually would have become Cubs fans, I think your take on the Cubs winning the world series is far off base. The Cubs basically sell out their park now and have been doing so for some time. They have even drawn 3 million fans to that little ballpark of theirs and that has not produced a world series winner.

There are plenty of teams without big budgets that have won championships over the past 25 years. This includes smaller budget teams such as the Blue Jays, Braves, Tigers, Royals, Twins, Angels, Marlins, Diamondbacks and Athletics. It is about more than just attendance. That helps, but if you are inept at developing talent and a winning mentality at both the player and coaching ranks, you are never going to win anything.

The fact is the Cubs do not sell baseball and they haven't sold it since before WWII. The Cubs sell atmosphere, revisionist history and a bar scene both inside and outside the park. If the Cubs lose but ________ (insert Banks, Kingman, Ryno, Dawson, Sammy, etc. here) hits a home run and everyone gets drunk and laid, then it was a good day. This will not change no matter how far south the White Sox are located.

The whole "the Sox are moving to Florida" was brewing for some time, but I always thought a deal would get done. Then I saw that a stadium was being built in Florida, then as the deadline was getting closer, I started to think that the Sox might end up moving. You have to remember that in 1984 the Colts moved to Indy in the middle of the night, so why wouldn't that happen to the Sox. So the deadline was set and when I went to bed that night I thought the Sox were goners. I woke up the next day and my dad told me the good news that the Sox were staying. I was upset with Reinsdorf and the team for being taken hostage, but I got over it when the Sox got off to a great start in 1990. The 1990 team saved me from doing something really stupid and got me back on the right track. Now that I'm older I relize that you have to set deadlines to get deals set. The SF Giants did the same thing in the late '90's and it got them a stadium also. It was a dark time as a Sox fan, but if you can believe it, it was not the lowest. In my opinion the 1994 strike was the lowest. Of all the years to go on strike!!!