Red Sox trade for Coco Crisp

nitetrain8601

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Jan 23, 2006 -> 02:38 PM)
first of all, just a reminder.  nothing has been completed as of right now.

second of all, marte is twice the prospect that escobar was during that trade, and suggesting that these two deals have any similarities besides the fact that the indians recieved prospects is ridiculous.

And you were holding back so well.....

• Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jan 23, 2006 -> 03:04 PM)
Isn't there some irony built directly into saying "1 prospect is twice what another prospect was" if the other prospect was a pretty major disappointment?  2 times zero is still zero.  2 times a very small number is still a very small number.

He did include the phrase, "during the trade". Escobar obviously had value that wasn't zero or very little when he was dealt. So whatever that value was, he thinks Marte has at least twice that potential.

Edited by 3E8

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Jan 23, 2006 -> 01:46 PM)
And you were holding back so well.....

explain? my opinion of the trade was asked for, i am choosing to wait until the deal is completed. i'm not quite sure what you mean.

if somebody is going to compare alex escobar to andy marte and roberto alomar to coco crisp, it's a little ridiculous. you can't possibly disagree?

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jan 23, 2006 -> 02:04 PM)
Isn't there some irony built directly into saying "1 prospect is twice what another prospect was" if the other prospect was a pretty major disappointment?  2 times zero is still zero.  2 times a very small number is still a very small number.

its irrelevant.

saying one player is a better prospect than another is saying just that. andy marte has been rated much higher than alex escobar ever was.

good try though.

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Jan 23, 2006 -> 03:01 PM)
Should we bait him with Kelly Shoppach?

Ramirez, Marte, and Kelly are all gone.  Which prospects are Red Sox fans going to overrate now?

again, no trade has been completed. marte and shoppach are still red sox for the time being.

as for hanley ramirez, i am fine with trading top of the line young talent so long as you recieve top of the line young talent in return. the reference to the bagwell/anderson trade earlier in this thread was something that i think people over looked.

im fine trading a top prospect, like a bagwell or a hanley ramirez, so long as the player being traded for is of josh beckett quality and not larry anderson.

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Jan 23, 2006 -> 03:38 PM)
Is there anyway we can change Red's tag to be "Red Sox Apologist" without his permission?

...just so new-comers know what they're getting themselves into.

It alread says Bi-sox-ual which was the name that a large group of cubs fans took as their rallying cry when rooting for the white sox in the playoffs this year. Siding with cubs fans is bad enough.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jan 23, 2006 -> 07:45 PM)
It alread says Bi-sox-ual which was the name that a large group of cubs fans took as their rallying cry when rooting for the white sox in the playoffs this year.  Siding with cubs fans is bad enough.

is that true?

i could've sworn one of the creative people on this website created it for me..

I think the Red Sox got jobbed. The Indians now have a great replacement for worthless Aaron Boone at 3B and a decent reliever. Coco Crisp was a Sox killer but this trade will make the Indians better for the future, if Marte pans out of course.

Edited by SSH2005

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Jan 24, 2006 -> 07:36 AM)
I think the Red Sox got jobbed.  The Indians now have a great replacement for worthless Aaron Boone at 3B and a decent reliever.  Coco Crisp was a Sox killer but this trade will make the Indians better for the future, if Marte pans out of course.

I dont think they got jobbed. Marte hasnt proven anything at the major league level. He is a good enough prospect that he has already been traded 2 times this offseason. The Red Sox obviously decided he wasnt good enough for the starting role, and decided that it was better to trade him for crisp, than pick up someone like Reed for nothing. If he was this super prospect that everyone seems to think, then they wouldnt have let him go like that.

I dont think they got jobbed.  Marte hasnt proven anything at the major league level.  He is a good enough prospect that he has already been traded 2 times this offseason.  The Red Sox obviously decided he wasnt good enough for the starting role, and decided that it was better to trade him for crisp, than pick up someone like Reed for nothing.  If he was this super prospect that everyone seems to think, then they wouldnt have let him go like that.

Well, the way I see it is that Sizemore is already a better player than Crisp. Crisp is a good hitter but doesn't have enough power to be productive in a corner outfield spot. His value is mostly in CF. But then again, without Crisp the Indians will have trash like Casey Blake, Todd Hollandsworth, and Jason Dubois in their corners. I guess that's better than dealing with Coco the Sox killer 19 games a year. I just hope that Marte doesn't pan out into a superstud in a few years.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jan 24, 2006 -> 10:29 AM)
I dont think they got jobbed.  Marte hasnt proven anything at the major league level.  He is a good enough prospect that he has already been traded 2 times this offseason.  The Red Sox obviously decided he wasnt good enough for the starting role, and decided that it was better to trade him for crisp, than pick up someone like Reed for nothing. If he was this super prospect that everyone seems to think, then they wouldnt have let him go like that.

The Red Sox obviously decide the need for a quality ML proven outfielder that can play CF greatly outweighed the need for an unproven, but intiguing 3B prospect or a suspect, again unproven, CF like Jeremy Reed.