Artest NOT NOT Traded

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Jan 24, 2006 -> 06:27 PM)
This is why when I was going to post this news, I decided against it and just put my thoughts in the NBA thread. He didn't necessarily stop this trade technically. He was telling people he wasn't going to be happy going to Sac, but he would still report. Sacramento then decided just not to do it afterwards.

Want to know when this stops? When Artest gets traded to NY. Only way you don't hear from him.

He technically did stop the trade. He told Sacramento he wasn't interested in coming there. Even if he says he's going to report, why would you trade for a player that doesn't want to come there?

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Jan 24, 2006 -> 05:27 PM)
This is why when I was going to post this news, I decided against it and just put my thoughts in the NBA thread. He didn't necessarily stop this trade technically. He was telling people he wasn't going to be happy going to Sac, but he would still report. Sacramento then decided just not to do it afterwards.

Want to know when this stops? When Artest gets traded to NY. Only way you don't hear from him.

So in other words... he stopped the trade.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Jan 24, 2006 -> 03:27 PM)

Jim Gray is still using the phrase "Artest turned it down", which suggests to me it was something stronger on Artest's part than him saying "I don't want to play there" and the Kings backing out.

SI seems to be hearing something the others aren't...

Artest deal for Peja in jeopardy

Trade of All-Star forwards rejected at last minute

A league source has confirmed to SI.com that a deal that would have sent the Indiana Pacers' controversial small forward Ron Artest to the Sacramento Kings for three-time All-Star Peja Stojakovic has been called off -- for now.

A tentative agreement for a trade that would have sent the Indiana Pacers forward Ron Artest to the Sacramento Kings in exchange for Peja Stojakovic has been rejected, ESPN's Jim Gray reported Tuesday.

Gray reported earlier Tuesday that both teams had agreed to the trade, pending league approval. Then, according to Gray, Artest informed both teams he did not want to go to the Kings. In light of that, Gray reported, the Kings have decided to reject the trade.

The Kings would be gambling enough just to pick Artest up, but could you imagine the headache he would be if he didn't want to be there in the first place? Personally, I think Artest should be banned from the NBA until he gets help and a professional will say he can handle everything that goes with being an NBA player. Maybe this will increase the chances of Peja winding up on the Bulls in a couple of years. Hasn't that been the rumor for a while now?

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Jan 24, 2006 -> 07:10 PM)
Personally, I think Artest should be banned from the NBA until he gets help and a professional will say he can handle everything that goes with being an NBA player. Maybe this will increase the chances of Peja winding up on the Bulls in a couple of years. Hasn't that been the rumor for a while now?

I agree with both points.

And here's some interesting quotes...

"He's got to be a little confused right now if they wanted to trade him," Kings forward Shareef Abdur-Rahim said of Stojakovic, who had traveled with the team but stayed behind at the hotel in Philadelphia.

Before the deal apparently broke down, Kings players were already talking about the trade as if it was a done deal.

"Peja will be missed," Kings forward Corliss Williamson said. "He's been in Sacramento for a lot of years, but life goes on in the NBA.

"We'll welcome Ron Artest with open arms and hope he'll be able to help us. You always hear about the situations he's been in and all the hype. Maybe this is the change he needs, to come into our system and flourish."

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jan 24, 2006 -> 05:29 PM)
Jim Gray is still using the phrase "Artest turned it down", which suggests to me it was something stronger on Artest's part than him saying "I don't want to play there" and the Kings backing out.

And Jim Gray also said that Artest doesn't have that much power and he would have to go whereever he was traded to. It was the Kings not liking the fact that Artest told people he wasn't interested in the Kings. It wasn't a matter of Artest turning it down, it was a case of the Kings turning it down after they heard that Artest would probably be disgruntled there.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Jan 24, 2006 -> 07:21 PM)
And Jim Gray also said that Artest doesn't have that much power and he would have to go whereever he was traded to. It was the Kings not liking the fact that Artest told people he wasn't interested in the Kings. It wasn't a matter of Artest turning it down, it was a case of the Kings turning it down after they heard that Artest would probably be disgruntled there.

Artest is the one that f***ed up the situation. If he never said anything, this thread would not have the title it does now.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Jan 24, 2006 -> 06:21 PM)

Artest has a lot of power. His f***ed up head will keep him out of any city he really doesn't want to be in. You almost have to be as crazy as him to trade for him to begin with, but if he doesn't want to be there it will be an embarrassment to the NBA. Right now, I think Stern has to step in for the sake of the league and tell Artest to go wash cars for a living. If he is allowed to pick where he wants to play, the NBA will be nothing but a joke.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Jan 24, 2006 -> 06:23 PM)
Artest is the one that f***ed up the situation.  If he never said anything, this thread would not have the title it does now.

Did he play spoiled brat? Yes. Did he stop this trade from happening himself? No. He simply stated that he wouldn't enjoy Sacramento but he would report. Sacramento then just said, "Forget it. We don't want him anymore."

BTW, Ron Artest was on the radio not too long ago saying that he would play for Toronto if he had to.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Jan 24, 2006 -> 06:27 PM)
Artest has a lot of power. His f***ed up head will keep him out of any city he really doesn't want to be in. You almost have to be as crazy as him to trade for him to begin with, but if he doesn't want to be there it will be an embarrassment to the NBA. Right now, I think Stern has to step in for the sake of the league and tell Artest to go wash cars for a living. If he is allowed to pick where he wants to play, the NBA will be nothing but a joke.

I agree on that count. But it's been sucking considering players like Steve Francis was able to get "drafted" by the team he wanted to and forcing Vancouver's hand. NBA has been a joke for some time.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Jan 24, 2006 -> 07:28 PM)
Did he play spoiled brat? Yes. Did he stop this trade from happening himself? No. He simply stated that he wouldn't enjoy Sacramento but he would report. Sacramento then just said, "Forget it. We don't want him anymore."

BTW, Ron Artest was on the radio not too long ago saying that he would play for Toronto if he had to.

You honestly think Artest's comments had no effect on Sacramento changing their minds? They just changed their minds out of no where, in no connection to the Artest comments?

If you say they did have an effect on Sacramento's decision, then he DID stop this trade from happening. There's no way around that.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Jan 24, 2006 -> 04:30 PM)
I agree on that count. But it's been sucking considering players like Steve Francis was able to get "drafted" by the team he wanted to and forcing Vancouver's hand. NBA has been a joke for some time.

Heck, that's nothing...look at the Vince Carter and Alonzo Mourning messes from last year...where the guys basically just said "We won't play" and forced trades for vastly lower value than they were worth.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jan 24, 2006 -> 06:29 PM)
Man, they really need somebody to guard Kobe.

Apparently, this is what happened. "The dj asked who he would play for, Ron said "he would play for the raptors or any team in the hood." That's pretty stupid because it would go against him not wanting to go to Sac if you read it one way, but knowing Ron's history, I look at it again and it reads, "I want to go to a big city or a city with nothing but ghetto's because I want to get myself in trouble again."

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Jan 24, 2006 -> 06:30 PM)
You honestly think Artest's comments had no effect on Sacramento changing their minds?  They just changed their minds out of no where, in no connection to the Artest comments?

If you say they did have an effect on Sacramento's decision, then he DID stop this trade from happening.  There's no way around that.

I'm saying his comments did influence Sac, but it was Sac's decision. It's not like he went the Ron Seiklay route and said, "I won't report." He said he doesn't prefer to play there. Of course he had influence, I never said he didn't. He was the reason why they 2nd guessed the trade.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jan 24, 2006 -> 06:30 PM)
Heck, that's nothing...look at the Vince Carter and Alonzo Mourning messes from last year...where the guys basically just said "We won't play" and forced trades for vastly lower value than they were worth.

Actually, Bulls should've jumped on Carter because he's the exact player Pax is looking for - a guy with low trade value for whatever reason, but can consistantly create for himself and who'll get calls. Vince is still a superstar and he would look good on the Bulls right now. Oh well, I digress. VC never said he wouldn't play. He said (once he was with NJ) that he didn't give 100%. Zo though, flat out said he wouldn't play for Toronto and was able to walk away with tons of cash, plus a new contract on the team he wanted to be on.

I'm saying his comments did influence Sac, but it was Sac's decision. It's not like he went the Ron Seiklay route and said, "I won't report." He said he doesn't prefer to play there. Of course he had influence, I never said he didn't. He was the reason why they 2nd guessed the trade.

What team is going to trade for a player that says he doesn't want to play for them? He stopped the trade from happening with his comments. If he said nothing, he would be with the Kings right?