Teenage Girls thumb their nose at the Law

Kyyle23

QUOTE(Nokona @ Feb 3, 2006 -> 04:17 PM)
Drinking and bonding with friends is something that we as teenagers will never be able to do.  Sure we might be able to do it in our mid-20s but so much will have changed by then.  Getting drunk and enjoying the time with your child hood friends in such an awkward tiem should be experienced by everyone at least once.

And we can always go back to the old "If i can die for my country and vote for my president, i ought to be able to drink."

Didn't they bring it back down to 18 when they had the draft? Anyways as most people probably know, it's the states that decide what the drinking age is. If they haven't lower than 21 they won't get Federal funding for highways and roads.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(WilliamTell @ Feb 3, 2006 -> 05:32 PM)
Didn't they bring it back down to 18 when they had the draft? Anyways as most people probably know, it's the states that decide what the drinking age is. If they haven't lower than 21 they won't get Federal funding for highways and roads.

Oxford Ohio has a law where you can drink when you are 18 if you are within arms reach of your parents.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Feb 3, 2006 -> 06:41 PM)
I had my first beer when I was in Amsterdam before i was a freshman.  I drank at parties throughout high school, including dances, prom, special occasions.  I had a great time with great friends, I would do it again in a heartbeat.  I also graduated near the top of my class, played 3 sports and was a member of many clubs and an assistant in the dean's office.  I went to a great college, drank with my fraternity brothers, friends, and sometimes professors.  I didnt turn 21 until I was a senior, and I definatley didnt drink just because it was against the law.  I had a really great time drinking socially and bonding with my friends.  I would love to go back and experience college again, as it is truly the best time of your life.  I now have a great job, am a homeowner, car owner, and a reputable member of society.  I feel like my in my path I have chosen to be myself and make the most of everything i have done. 

There are two sides to every coin.

Rock, I did all of the same and maybe more. I don't think anyone is trying to say that if you drink underage, you can't later become a valuable member of society.

The key is, if you want to participate, you have to be willing to pay the price. Underage drinking is illegal, plain and simple. I did it, I'd do it again. My parents allowed it but encouraged responsibility. If I got busted, I was on my own.

The key to growing up to being a reputable member of society is learning to take individual responsibility for one's actions and understanding the consequences. If you get caught you have to take it.

The key is, laws can't be made to only penalize that break them irresponsibly. Break them, deal with it.

I can't fault the judge at all in this deal. The girls made bad choices. The big thing to me in this case is the actions toward the judge in the first place. If I got busted, I don't think it would have stopped me. But I wouldn't have been celebrating my victory over the legal system next time I did so. It would have never entered my mind to be pissed at the judge after their first appearance.

It all goes back to the girls blaming someone else, rather than taking responsibility for their own actions. The judge had to do something. It had to be stern because they had to be taught a lesson. The lesson was more about respect and the responsibility for their actions more than the drinking itself.

QUOTE(Spiff @ Feb 3, 2006 -> 10:45 PM)
i'm not saying the judge didn't have legal precedent, i just think it's stupid that he did and the law itself is stupid.

The good thing for the rest of society, is that people don't get the choice of which laws to agree with or which to obey. Not if you get caught anyway.

Edited by Rex Hudler