Lions finally hire Martz as OC

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Feb 9, 2006 -> 12:33 PM)
Kevin Jones has gotta be pissed, his career is officially heading down the toilet.

you think so? Martz did nothing but help Marshall Faulk until Faulks knees started to give. Kevin Jones is already pretty good at catching passes out of the backfield, he will just have to improve his blocking and stay healthy. But I think Kevin Jones would only benefit from this, he is the type of back that martz likes to work with

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Feb 9, 2006 -> 12:32 PM)
you think so?  Martz did nothing but help Marshall Faulk until Faulks knees started to give.  Kevin Jones is already pretty good at catching passes out of the backfield, he will just have to improve his blocking and stay healthy.  But I think Kevin Jones would only benefit from this, he is the type of back that martz likes to work with

Good point on Faulk, but take a look at what Stephen Jackson does next year in St. Louis and you'll see my point. Martz has simply got tired of the running game, he just wants to pass all day now.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Feb 9, 2006 -> 01:37 PM)
Good point on Faulk, but take a look at what Stephen Jackson does next year in St. Louis and you'll see my point.  Martz has simply got tired of the running game, he just wants to pass all day now.

Yeah, but you have to think that Stephen Jacksons inconsistency plus his injuries factored into his ineffectiveness. Also, once Martz took over HC duties his ego ballooned and thats when he started getting insanely pass-happy. I dont think the new HC in Detroit(is it Marinelli? I cant even remember) is going to let Martz do whatever he wants like that. Detroits offense cant go anywhere but up, which is kind of scary considering that they realistically have a great offense on paper, they just havent had any sort of coaching consistency and cohesion that could make them better. If Martz decides to start throwing 40-50 times a game again, I dont think he is going to hold on to his job long.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Feb 10, 2006 -> 07:11 AM)
Marinelli is a defensive guy, so I doube he is going to do much involving the offense.  He's there to put in the cover 2, and Martz is there to "work his magic".  Just watch them throw 50 times a game even though they have no QB, should be fun.

It would help if they actually had an OL to protect whoever's in at QB as well.

I think the point people may try to make on Kevin Jones is he's not a quick small shifty guy, that Marshall Faulk is even though he's a damn good RB WHEN healthy.

QUOTE(Confederate_48 @ Feb 10, 2006 -> 08:56 AM)
I think our secondary is gonna have a tough year next year with Martz and Childress in the division.

That depends entirely on whether or not Brown stays healthy, as far as I can tell. Oh, and if you find a corner to improve on Tillman's performance.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Feb 9, 2006 -> 01:37 PM)
Good point on Faulk, but take a look at what Stephen Jackson does next year in St. Louis and you'll see my point.  Martz has simply got tired of the running game, he just wants to pass all day now.

Which is why it's a good idea to have him as an OC. Giving him the HC job gives him complete control, and no one can tell him to stop throwing the ball. Now that he's under someone again, his pass/run ratio should look sane, and he'll start to look like a genius again. Anyone would be stupid to give him another chance as a HC though.

I'm not sure it'd be stupid to give him a HC job. His record is insanely good as a HC. If I had a Monte Kiffin or that tytpe of strong DC I'd let him be my HC. I think the concern will be what Martz does with slower receivers like Detroit has opposed to the great route running burners he had. I don't think Mike Williams will fit in better than Scotty Vines. I don't worry about the QB spot though. Nobody wanted Kurt Warner or Marc Bulger and they became stars under Martz. I think if Fitzpatrick stayed with Martz he would have done something. I wouldn't be shocked if your 07 starting QB in Detroit is taken late in this years draft

QUOTE(Punch and Judy Garland @ Feb 12, 2006 -> 01:06 PM)
I'm not sure it'd be stupid to give him a HC job. His record is insanely good as a HC. If I had a Monte Kiffin or that tytpe of strong DC I'd let him be my HC. I think the concern will be what Martz does with slower receivers like Detroit has opposed to the great route running burners he had. I don't think Mike Williams will fit in better than Scotty Vines. I don't worry about the QB spot though. Nobody wanted Kurt Warner or Marc Bulger and they became stars under Martz. I think if Fitzpatrick stayed with Martz he would have done something. I wouldn't be shocked if your 07 starting QB in Detroit is taken late in this years draft

They probably will draft a QB in the first round

LOL, that would be the icing on the cake.

2002 draft - QB

2003 draft - WR

2004 draft - WR

2005 draft - WR

2006 draft - QB

They have taken the mantle of "draft ineptness" away from the Bears, and they ran and hid with it.

Edited by kyyle23

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Feb 9, 2006 -> 10:37 AM)

Thats cause he was on his own as the head coach. Now that he's an OC the head coach (just like Vermeil would do back when he was with the Rams) will just have to get on his ass and make sure the team runs the ball enough.

I've long said Martz is an amazing OC and he would have been an amazing coach, but the ego gets in the way of him being an amazing coach because he ends up getting too gutsy and leaves the run game behind which leads to his QB getting killed.

I think the Lions have done a very good job this off-season and they do have some skilled players on the team. They still have a way to go, but I think they are the 2nd or 3rd best team in the division right now (ahead of the Pack and fighting with the Vikes).

QUOTE(Punch and Judy Garland @ Feb 12, 2006 -> 12:52 PM)
I don't think they draft a QB because I don't think Culter will be there

Drafting a QB in the first round would be a horrible decision, period.

However, I wouldn't be surprised to see them take Jacobs in the 2nd or 3rd round, or perhaps Croyle, Whitehurst, or Clemens later on. I just don't think there's a chance that with Martz on the coaching staff they don't take a QB in the draft.

(I still wish Buffalo had just friggin flat out given Martz the head coaching job in Buffalo, but whatever)