Official Torino Olympics Thread

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Too bad Steven Bradbury won't be back to defend his speed skating gold medal. That's gotta be the funniest gold medal of all time.

I always look forward to the Moguls (how could you not love a Twisted Daffy) and the Ice Hockey. The Luge and Skeleton offer good value as well.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan99 @ Feb 10, 2006 -> 02:06 AM)
Go U.S. :usa

I absolutely love the Olympics.  Easily one of my favorite sporting events.  Opening Ceremony today and then the events kick off tomorrow.  Can't wait.

I am with you. A lot of people like to hate on the olympics, but I always watch. Most people in America are more concerned with their city or states team than their country, which IMO is why soccer and the olympics aren't as popular here, but whatever it's their loss.

I hate the tape delay nonsense to be honest, but I'll do my best to watch as much as I can without hearing the spoiler results.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Feb 10, 2006 -> 03:22 AM)
Too bad Steven Bradbury won't be back to defend his speed skating gold medal. That's gotta be the funniest gold medal of all time.

I always look forward to the Moguls (how could you not love a Twisted Daffy) and the Ice Hockey. The Luge and Skeleton offer good value as well.

AUSTRALIA SUCKS!!! :bringit :britishflag: :lol:

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Feb 10, 2006 -> 09:51 AM)
1932 was the last time that the US HAD the highest medal count in the winter games...

yeah didnt they beat their personal best record in 2002, and I think even with that U.S. was 3rd or 4th in the medal count. Who are some of the favorites to look for, besides the usual hype ie Bode Miller, Apollo Ohno, Sasha Cohen ect?

QUOTE(watchtower41 @ Feb 10, 2006 -> 10:38 AM)
yeah didnt they beat their personal best record in 2002, and I think even with that U.S. was 3rd or 4th in the medal count.  Who are some of the favorites to look for, besides the usual hype ie Bode Miller, Apollo Ohno, Sasha Cohen ect?

There are a lot of medal contenders for America as some people think we will break our 2002 record this year. NBC has a rundown on all the events here: NBC Olympics and who America's medal hopefuls are. Just click on either athletes or events to find out more.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Feb 10, 2006 -> 12:10 PM)
Yeah without researching it, I think the last time we didn't win the medal count in the summer games was 1980 when we boycotted.

Actually in 1992 we lost to the Unified Team but they were made up of like 12 countries and in 1988 we finished 3rd behind the USSR and East Germany.

Edited by whitesoxfan99

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Feb 10, 2006 -> 01:10 PM)
Yeah without researching it, I think the last time we didn't win the medal count in the summer games was 1980 when we boycotted.

I don't pay much attention to the Olympics and even when I do, it's mostly the Summer games. I figured we just dominated the Winter games, too, since we dominate the Summer ones.

Who's the all-time medal leader for the Winter games, then?

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Feb 10, 2006 -> 12:16 PM)
I don't pay much attention to the Olympics and even when I do, it's mostly the Summer games.  I figured we just dominated the Winter games, too, since we dominate the Summer ones.

Who's the all-time medal leader for the Winter games, then?

Germany has the most medals if you combine the medal totals of West Germany, East Germany, and Germany. The most gold medals goes to Russia/USSR/Unified Team. The third most medals is Norway and the U.S. is fourth in medals all time at the winter olympics.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Feb 10, 2006 -> 09:19 AM)
I hate the tape delay nonsense to be honest, but I'll do my best to watch as much as I can without hearing the spoiler results.

Speaking of which if you are going to put a spoiler on this thread please give people a warning out of common courtesy.