Official Torino Olympics Thread

QUOTE(Felix @ Feb 13, 2006 -> 10:29 PM)
Why do they always show the curling at 3 AM (EST)?  I've got school tomorrow, plus I probably would fall asleep around 2, just like last night :(

Why dont they show it one night in primetime on nbc people would watch just to see wtf it was.

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(ScottPodRulez22 @ Feb 13, 2006 -> 10:36 PM)
Why dont they show it one night in primetime on nbc people would watch just to see wtf it was.

It really isn't something that you can watch edited or at least I wouldn't want to. The fun in watching curling is mostly to watch the strategy unfold. You edit for time and you won't really get that. And NBC would be nuts to show Curling in primetime because their ratings would take a big hit. They show curling on tape delay on USA at times. The U.S. vs. Finland match from today was shown on tape delay at 4 on USA. Just have to check the TV listings. You can catch the U.S. women vs. Japan on Tape Delay at 4 PM CT on CNBC if you want to check out a match.

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Feb 13, 2006 -> 03:56 PM)
I may be the only Soxtalk poster with first-hand curling experience. 

The ice I played on was s***ty though, slow and sloped away from the middle, so I can't speak for it's difficulty at the Olympic level.

Heads, you need to sign up for intramural curling.

I have no curling experience personally, but a kid at my school is on a curling team and actually just recently finished 2nd in a national curling tournament.

Not a ton of relevance...but if we're going to tell curling stories, I figured I'd atleast share my only one. :D

QUOTE(WHarris1 @ Feb 13, 2006 -> 05:44 PM)
Speed skating should be good, womens snowboarding decent.

The only thing I'm not a fan of is ice skating.

I may be pathetic, but i will watch the ladies figure skating.

My sister has figure skated her whole life, meaning i've been to my fair share of figure skating competitions. I know the terminology and s***, too.

It starts up next Tuesday.

QUOTE(IlliniKrush @ Feb 14, 2006 -> 02:42 AM)
I may be pathetic, but i will watch the ladies figure skating.

My sister has figure skated her whole life, meaning i've been to my fair share of figure skating competitions. I know the terminology and s***, too.

It starts up next Tuesday.

You're pathetic. :D

feel good story

From today's trib:

Cheek's golden gesture

U.S. skater zips to victory, uses his '15 seconds' for greater good

By Melissa Isaacson

Tribune Olympic Bureau

Published February 13, 2006, 10:31 PM CST

TURIN, Italy -- America's latest gold-medal winner is a speedskater from North Carolina who enjoys playing the guitar, wants to attend law school and host his own "MTV" show, not necessarily in that order. He also has a weird penchant for killing time between training sessions building and shooting potato guns.

This all may sound superficial, but Joey Cheek is just the opposite.

On Monday, the 26-year-old took what he called his "15 seconds" of fame and used it for a greater good. Walked onto a worldwide platform, seized control of the moment and walked off with his mother, proclaiming more joy in that than in winning the long-track 500 meters.

Stopping his victory press conference before it began, Cheek took the floor and would not relinquish it.

"I know you want to do sweet Hallmark stories about chocolates and butterflies and all that, but I've had a pretty neat experience, this is a pretty neat opportunity and I'm going to take advantage of it while I can," he said.

"For me, the Olympics have been the greatest blessing. If I retired yesterday, I have gotten everything in the world from speedskating and competing in the Olympics. And the best way to say thanks that I can think of is to try and help somebody else."

With that, Cheek said he would donate the entire $25,000 bonus the U.S. Olympic Committee awarded him for his gold medal to an organization called Right To Play.

Created by Cheek idol Johan Olav Koss, a four-time speedskating gold medalist and sanctioned by the International Olympic Committee, Right To Play describes itself as "an athlete-driven international humanitarian organization that uses sport and play as a tool for the development of children and youth in the most disadvantaged areas of the world."

Cheek, whose runaway victory made the U.S. 2-for-2 in men's speedskating, hopes his donation and the plea for Olympic sponsors to match his pledge will help 60,000 children displaced from their homes in Chad.

Cheek, who could have used the money to help pay for college—he has applied to several Ivy League schools, Stanford, Duke and others—turned in a personal-best time of 34.94 seconds. "I don't know how I skated that fast, but I'm grateful that I did," he said. "I'd always dreamt that I would skate that fast. But on some level, it is empowering to think about someone other than myself.

"What I do is great fun. I love what I do. I've skated the entire world and met amazing friends. But it's honestly a pretty ridiculous thing. I mean, I skate around the ice in tights."

The former inliner skated around the ice in brilliant fashion, winning by an unheard-of margin of 0.65 in the combined heats. The current world sprint champion and '02 bronze medalist in this event also is favored in the 1,000 meters.

"This is the most relaxed I've ever skated, for sure the most relaxed I've ever been in the Olympic Games," Cheek said. "It has sort of been a goal for me. I don't skate as well when I'm not relaxed, so I went into this thinking I'd love to skate well, but if I'm too tense then I'm going to [stink]."

Dmitry Dorofeyev of Russia won the silver in 1:10.41 and South Korea's Lee Kang-Seok took bronze in 1:10.43. Meanwhile, Cheek's teammates Casey FitzRandolph, the 500-meter winner at the 2002 Salt Lake Games, finished a horribly disappointing 12th, and Kip Carpenter was 26th.

"You have certain guys that you root for, and Joey is one of them," FitzRandolph said. "I root for guys, not because of what country they're from so much as what type of people they are. I like to see guys that work hard and really pay their dues and put their life into it, not just their talent. Joey is one of those guys.

"He's probably the hardest worker we've got on our team, so it was nice to see everything came around for him at the right time. He's on fire right now."

It is conceivable that the U.S. men's team could win gold medals in every speedskating event in these Games. Next up may be the toughest, Wednesday's team pursuit without Chicagoan Shani Davis.

Cheek, who says he will retire from skating after the Olympics, has already pledged that he will make the same donation if he wins the 1,000.

"I've learned how news cycles work and I've learned that there's a gold medalist tonight and tomorrow there's another gold medalist," he said. "So I can either take the time and gush about how wonderful I feel or I can use it for something productive."

Cheek's mother Chris, a hotel manager in Hilton Head, S.C., had no trouble putting her son's victory into perspective after watching him surprise her with his announcement.

"It's probably one of the best things I've ever heard, experienced, felt or heard from him," she said. "It makes me probably the proudest of him that I could possibly be. The skating stuff is fun and I'm glad he's done well, but I'm glad it has enabled him to take it and help somebody else."

misaacson@tribune.com

Edited by Soxy

I tell you, when that girl fell last hight, hurt her knee, and elected to finish their program in pain, that was about as gutsy as it gets. For every 10 Sammy Sosa's there's an athlete like that that renews your belief in athletics. I wanted to stand up and cheer for her.

I thank the Lord for the Olympics, and the opportunity to watch non pampered, dedicated athletes performing their craft

Brazilian Bobsledder First Doping Casualty

By JEROME PUGMIRE, AP Sports Writer

Brazilian bobsledder Armando dos Santos has tested positive for the banned steroid nandrolone and became the first athlete sent home from the Turin Games for doping.

Dos Santos, a former hammer thrower, tested positive when the Brazilian Olympic Committee conducted pre-games doping controls on their athletes on Jan. 3-4. Further tests at the Federal University of Rio de Janeiro confirmed nandrolone in his "B" sample, according to a statement from Brazil's Olympic Committee, which was released Monday.

"It is very unfortunate, because the policy of the Brazilian Olympic Committee is zero tolerance," said Eric Maleson, founder and president of the Brazilian ice sports federation. "Today he is at the airport and going back to Brazil. He will not participate in the Olympics."

Dos Santos sounded upset when Maleson called him on the telephone.

"He was shocked, surprised and very emotional," Maleson said. "I am very disappointed because I trust the athletes, and he knew the rules."

Dos Santos will be replaced on the four-man team by novice Claudinei Quirino — a former track star and silver-medalist in the 400-meter relay at the Sydney Olympics six years ago.

Maleson insists the other Brazilian racers are clean.

"We don't want any athlete in out team who is contaminated," said Maleson, who competed in bobsled at the 1998 Games in Nagano.

Although Quirino has only taken to the sport in the last year, Maleson is optimistic.

"He knows the ice and has been competing," Maleson said. "He is our best replacement and I am confident he will do well."

Brazil's squad is the only tropical bobsled team qualified for Turin.

Training for the four-man event starts Feb. 21, with competition opening three days later.

Maleson had never seen snow when he moved to Boston in 1995 after watching the "Cool Runnings" film about the Jamaican bobsled team. He went to Lake Placid and developed the Brazilian team.

Maleson and his wife, Lisa Papandrea, the federation's secretary-general, are arranging a Hollywood film about the Brazilian team. It's titled "Better than Gold" and should be completed in time for the 2010 Vancouver Games.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060214/ap_on_...ntos_doping_tr5

QUOTE(DonkeyKongerko @ Feb 14, 2006 -> 01:18 PM)
I usually don't watch pairs figure skating, but we have yet another "controversy" where a Chinese team was given more than the maximum two-minutes after a bad crash.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/other_spor...rts/4712394.stm

i see no controversy other than people nitpicking. the isu explained itself and the rules pretty clearly...