• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sp...-baseball-print

not a typo :ph34r:

Spring swap: Raines to bench, Baines to first

BY MARK GONZALES

February 17, 2006

TUCSON, Ariz. -- The roles of White Sox coaches Tim Raines and Harold Baines have been switched for the 2006 season.

Raines, who joined the staff in 2005 as first-base coach, will become the bench coach. Baines will take over Raines' duties after serving as the Sox's bench coach for the last two seasons.

General manager Ken Williams said manager Ozzie Guillen made the decision and referred all questions to him. Guillen was en route to Tucson on Thursday and wasn't available for comment. Neither Raines nor Baines was at the Sox's spring training complex Thursday.

Raines managed Class-A Brevard County in the Montreal organization in 2004.

Guillen credited Baines with suggesting he use Geoff Blum instead of Pablo Ozuna in the bottom of the 13th inning of Game 3 of the 2005 World Series. Blum hit a game-winning home run in the 14th.

Baines has served as an interim hitting coach and interim manager as well as a special assignment instructor since 2003.

Edited by rangercal

QUOTE(rudylaw @ Feb 17, 2006 -> 10:31 AM)
We can have a fast base stealer at first telling our guys how and when to steal or we can have an old slow guy that can not stay awake.

HMMMMMMM

I am going to have to go with Rock on this one. 

Who would you rather have as a hitting coach Frank Thomas or Royce Clayton?

Ted Williams or Charlie Lau?

The only way it makes any sense to me is if maybe Raines' lupus is flaring up again and he is experiening discomfort that can be dealt with on the bench but not standing at first. I dunno.

I'd much rather see Tim at first and Harold on the bench.

Edited by FlaSoxxJim

QUOTE(rudylaw @ Feb 17, 2006 -> 10:31 AM)
We can have a fast base stealer at first telling our guys how and when to steal or we can have an old slow guy that can not stay awake.

HMMMMMMM

I am going to have to go with Rock on this one. 

Who would you rather have as a hitting coach Frank Thomas or Royce Clayton?

I dont understand this move at all. Rock was a GREAT base stealer in his day, much better than anyone on the sox in recent history. He has alot to teach guys, and also recognizes moves and timing better than most. There has to be another reason behind it.

QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ Feb 17, 2006 -> 11:47 AM)
The only way it makes any sense to me is if maybe Raines' lupus is flaring up again and he is experiening discomfort that can be dealt with on the bench but not standing at first.

That is the only explanation that seems logical to me, unless there is some other x-factor at work here that none of us are aware of. Maybe Raines wants to manage a team sometime soon, and he thinks this will advance that career track? Who knows?

Maybe Raines wants to give more input to Ozzie from the bench. You know, he cant just turn to Pods when he gets to first and say "I think you can steal this bag on the second pitch", but on the bench he can tell Ozzie, and Ozzie can relay the sign to Cora. I also tend to believe that Lupus is playing a part in this.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Feb 17, 2006 -> 11:09 AM)
That is the only explanation that seems logical to me, unless there is some other x-factor at work here that none of us are aware of.  Maybe Raines wants to manage a team sometime soon, and he thinks this will advance that career track?  Who knows?

This is what I assumed this morning after reading the article. I don't believe Ozzie, regardless of how ignorant he may be on various subjects, would just make the move without reason. Raines is probably intent on understanding the managing aspect of baseball. Having a feeling for the game. Guillen may not be the best mentor for this, but atleast strategizing moves will do him better than scratching his ass at first base.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Feb 17, 2006 -> 09:51 AM)
Well when you first base coach has 808 career stolen bases with 6 consecutive years of over 70 SB's, I would think having him at first base would be a benefit.

How often does Raines get to put a steal or hit & run sign on himself? He can at least try to coach guys away from games on how to actually read a pitcher, but that doesn't tell me much about what he's doing in the game.

Didn't Raines manage a Single A team a couple of years back? I'm thinking it's probably a combination of lupus and wanting to manage down the road. The White Sox want Raines to succeed, at least it looks that way, and maybe this helps him along the career path.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Feb 17, 2006 -> 11:53 AM)
How often does Raines get to put a steal or hit & run sign on himself?  He can at least try to coach guys away from games on how to actually read a pitcher, but that doesn't tell me much about what he's doing in the game.

He times the pitchers for the runner and lets them know if he sees an indicator of when to go. Pods never once had a steal sign put on, he has a green light. But rock had aot to do with the coaching of him as well as recognizing pick off moves.