California set to execute Michael Morales

minors

QUOTE(minors @ Feb 18, 2006 -> 11:27 AM)
One thing I agree with you on is the punishment.

The Punishment Morales will get is far less than what he deserves, The state should strangle him with a belt, take a hammer to his skull 23 times, drag him face down for 20 feet and stab him in the chest 4 times. 

Then he will know how it felt.  Serving life in prison is nothing to this thug we need to start making these thugs pay for their actions, not slap them on the wrists like some group of people want to do then wonder why it doens't work.

^^^^^

:notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(minors @ Feb 19, 2006 -> 12:15 AM)
In murder cases where the crime is so harsh then yes the DP is the only way.  The chance is to great for him getting out.  Even it means he has 1% chance that is 1% to much

You're all over it dude. Nothing more needs to be added here.

I feel the same way about executing people. If the chance is 1% that the wrong person could be killed, it's too much.

But it is ok if they serve life??? I mean these thugs get 20 years worth appeals some get more than that, and with the priority capital cases get today if they can't find some evidence in 20+ years they never will.

QUOTE(minors @ Feb 19, 2006 -> 12:35 AM)
But it is ok if they serve life???  I mean these thugs get 20 years worth appeals some get more than that, and with the priority capital cases get today if they can't find some evidence in 20+ years they never will.

It just makes no sense to me at all to warehouse a s***bag like this for all those years. Society clearly doesn't want him to ever see the light of day again so just kill him and be done with it.

Here is a reason why 1% is too much of a risk

Kenneth McDuff, for instance, was convicted of the 1966 shooting deaths of two boys and the vicious rape-strangulation of their 16-year-old female companion. A Fort Worth jury ruled that McDuff should die in the electric chair, a sentence commuted to life in prison in 1972 after the U.S. Supreme Court struck down the death penalty as then imposed. In 1989, with Texas prisons overflowing and state officials under fire from the federal judiciary, McDuff was quietly turned loose on an unsuspecting citizenry.

Within days, a naked body of a woman turned up. Sarafia Parker, 31, had been beaten, strangled and dumped in a field near Temple. McDuff's freedom in 1989 was interrupted briefly. Jailed after a minor racial incident, he slithered through the system and was out again in 1990.

In early 1991, McDuff enrolled at Texas State Technical College in Waco. Soon, Central Texas women began disappearing. One, Valencia Joshua, 22, was last seen alive Feb. 24, 1991. Her naked, decomposed body later was discovered in a shallow grave in woods behind the college. Another of the missing women, Regenia Moore, was last seen kicking and screaming in the cab of McDuff's pickup truck. During the Christmas holidays of 1991, Colleen Reed disappeared from an Austin car wash. Witnesses reported hearing a woman scream that night and seeing two men speeding away in a yellow or tan Thunderbird. Little more than two months later, on March 1, 1992, Melissa Northrup, pregnant with a third child, vanished from the Waco convenience store where she worked. McDuff's beige Thunderbird, broken down, was discovered a block from the store.

Fifty-seven days later, a fisherman found the young woman's nearly nude body floating in a gravel pit in Dallas County, 90 miles north of Waco. By then, McDuff was the target of a nationwide manhunt. Just days after Mrs. Northrup's funeral, McDuff was recognized on television's "America's Most Wanted'' and arrested May 4 in Kansas City.

In 1993, a Houston jury ordered him executed for the kidnap-slaying of 22-year-old Melissa Northrup, a Waco mother of two. In 1994, a Seguin jury assessed him the death penalty for the abduction-rape-murder of 28-year-old Colleen Reed, an Austin accountant. Pamplin's son Larry, the current sheriff of Falls County, appeared at McDuff's Houston trial for the 1992 abduction and murder of Melissa Northrup.

"Kenneth McDuff is absolutely the most vicious and savage individual I know,'' he told reporters. "He has absolutely no conscience, and I think he enjoys killing.''

If McDuff had been executed as scheduled, he said, "no telling how many lives would have been saved.''

At least nine, probably more, Texas authorities suspect.

His riegn of terror finally ended on November 17, 1998 when Kenneth McDuff was put to death by the state of Texas by Lethal Injection. May his victims rest in peace.

So what is worse one wrongly executed person or a thug like this who murdered 9 other women to me 9 is worse than 1. Until I get a guarantee that these thugs will not get out of prison then I have to be pro DP.

QUOTE(LowerCaseRepublican @ Feb 18, 2006 -> 01:27 PM)
Flash, that's the thing about the heinous crime and proven beyond a reasonable doubt.  Human beings are fallible.  You can let a guy out of prison if the system f***ed up.  You can't bring a dead guy back to life to say "Oops!"

Someone is commiting these crimes. I don't accept oppositional tactics which site possible errors within the justice system as a reason for removing the death penalty. Even if federal laws were enacted which provided mandatory DNA testing in capital cases, there would still be complaints.

The system is biased against the poor and minorities (the Supreme Court has admitted as much with Marshall and McClesky v Kemp where the now famous Baldus study came into play)  So much evidence shows that the system of capital punishment is incredibly faulty and needs to be obliterated.

This is true. Racial bias dramatically effects death penalty sentencing. But this is NOT a legal issue. Nor do I really care for its presence. Studies I've come across suggeset the sentence of death is discriminatory, not the preceding verdict. Jurors are carefully selected for the purpose of issuing a fair sentence. You can't reform the mindset of jurors who've been conditioned to associate a certain race with criminal behavior. If a criminal standing trial is found guilty, they deserve whatever they get. Any racial elements embedeed within jurors are on subconcious levels. It's transcends ALL types of cases.

With Moussaoui, Dahmer, Gacy, McVeigh et al. -- they're severely disturbed individuals and sociopaths.  Keeping them in prison and away from the regular populus is the important thing.  Killing them doesn't bring any of the victims back and in the cases of McVeigh and Moussaoui especially, it can turn them into a martyr of sorts for the right-wing extremist militants and Al Qaeda supporters respectively.  If you have kept them separated from the normal population of functional citizens, then the justice system has done its job.

In a Gallop Poll conducted during May 2001, 81% of respondents supported the Death Penalty for McVeigh; including 58 percent who claimed they were death penalty opponents. I've dug these statistics from old lecture notes. What the numbers indicate to me, in cases such as McVeigh, that the horrific act of a crime may be enough to sway even opponents of the death penalty. You may say "executing one innocent person is too much," I'd say, "One Timothy McVeigh walking this planet is too much." Many agreed. As long as half the nation supports the death penalty--and our Supreme Court has a predominatly Republican contingent--it's not going away.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan99 @ Feb 19, 2006 -> 12:22 AM)
Stick him in jail for life and let the inmates have their way with him

So, you're basically implying his death is justified--just not from our legal system.

You would support a child rapist/murderer being beaten to death within a prison, opposed to a quick and painless execution? Honestly, I can't really sympathize with the 'if only one is innocent' argument. Can we put an estimate on how many people have wrongly been executed? An actual, legitimate guess based on some evidence? I'll even let you opponents site data from the early 20th century, which obviously reflecs a different time period in America. Even if it were several hundred, which I feely sorry for, more are killed senselessly because of gun violence. Or automobile accidents.

If DNA evidence has provided a match between the victims blood and the defendants clothing, there's no debate. He's guilty.

What I propose is for everyone sentenced to death before the introduction of DNA evidence to be removed from death row, UNLESS there's undeniable proof of guilt. Instances where forensic science doesn't need to be included. Such as video taped proof, numerous witnesses, etc. That way, our legal system can begin from a point where medical technology can prove guilt beyond doubt.

What I propose is for everyone sentenced to death before the introduction of DNA evidence to be removed from death row, UNLESS there's undeniable proof of guilt. Instances where forensic science doesn't need to be included. Such as video taped proof, numerous witnesses, etc. That way, our legal system can begin from a point where medical technology can prove guilt beyond doubt.

I have no problem with that

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Feb 19, 2006 -> 01:07 AM)
You would support a child rapist/murderer being beaten to death within a prison, opposed to a quick and painless execution?

I dont mean to cherry pick your post but I sure as hell would. If the state doesn't have the balls to do it then maybe the other sodomites in jail can do it for us.

QUOTE(NUKE_CLEVELAND @ Feb 19, 2006 -> 01:11 AM)
I dont mean to cherry pick your post but I sure as hell would.  If the state doesn't have the balls to do it then maybe the other sodomites in jail can do it for us.

What I meant is WSF99 opposed the death penalty, yet cited his support for the prisoners to deal with the issue. Which shows, as I interpret it, the need for certain people to die because of their crimes.

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Feb 19, 2006 -> 01:23 AM)
What I meant is WSF99 opposed the death penalty, yet cited his support for the prisoners to deal with the issue. Which shows, as I interpret it, the need for certain people to die because of their crimes.

I gathered that from reading it but I felt that question by itself was worth an answer.

QUOTE(NUKE_CLEVELAND @ Feb 19, 2006 -> 01:24 AM)
I gathered that from reading it but I felt that question by itself was worth an answer.

To answer your question: hell, if such actions would be guaranteed, I'd wouldn't flinch if I heard if the filth was beaten to death.

However, I don't believe such treatment of rapists occurs as often as we might believe. Prison murders don't go unnoticed. ACLU wants to be sure their rapist and pedophilic clients are assured civil liberties within prison. ;)

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Feb 19, 2006 -> 01:33 AM)
To answer your question: hell, if such actions would be guaranteed, I'd wouldn't flinch if I heard if the filth was beaten to death.

However, I don't believe such treatment of rapists occurs as often as we might believe. Prison murders don't go unnoticed. ACLU wants to be sure their rapist and pedophilic clients are assured civil liberties within prison.  ;)

Very true. Thank god vicious criminals have someone to look out for them. Too bad their victims dont.

:rolly

QUOTE(LowerCaseRepublican @ Feb 18, 2006 -> 11:25 AM)
Yes because spending more money than it would take to house him with life without parole would be such a great idea.  Killers must really get the right idea that killing is wrong -- because if you do it, the state gets to kill you back.

And nice of you to leave out the fact that the "cornerstone" of the State's case came from a jailhouse snitch who lied.  The use of jailhouse informants -- contemporaneous inmates who claim to have extracted the confessions of killers while awaiting their trials -- is a regular feature of death penalty trials. Samuelson told the jury that Morales had confessed to him in jail, and gave chilling details about how he planned the murder and how he boasted about it many months later. His testimony was particularly relevant in the jury's verdict for death because he provided the evidence of a "special circumstance" -- a requirement to elevate 1st-degree murder to capital murder. Calling it "the cornerstone" of the government's case, presiding judge McGrath stated: "Mr. Samuelson's testimony describing the confession was the only evidence to support the single special circumstance...that made Mr. Morales eligible for the death penalty."

At the time of the Morales' trial, Bruce Samuelson was facing six felony charges, which led Parole Officer Vickie Wetherell to recommend "immediate commitment to state prison." Instead, after writing to Morales' prosecutor promising that he could provide the evidence that would guarantee a conviction with special circumstances (death penalty), the prosecutor dropped 4 of the 6 charges against him, and managed to get court approval of a very light county jail sentence for the remaining 2 charges in exchange for his damning testimony. "I had no doubt that without the plea bargain, such a repeated offender would have been sentenced to prison," Wetherell has declared. "The fact that Samuelson escaped full adjudication and punishment was disconcerting."

But how do we know that what Samuelson told the jury was a lie? Because when asked years later by the attorney general how he managed to elicit so much damning information from the accused in a crowded jail cell without any other inmate hearing their alleged conversations, Samuelson boasted of his Spanish language skills ("I was very fluent in it, reading, writing and speaking, both formal and informal, or 'Spang/lish,' 'ghetto Spanish' and in educated Spanish") and asserted that he and Morales had conducted their confessional sessions in Spanish. There is only one problem with this explanation: Michael Morales, a 4th-generation American, does not speak Spanish!

This raises the question: How did Samuelson get the specific details about those involved in this crime if not from the defendant himself? Good jailhouse informants have become quite adept at gleaning details from the public record by passing themselves off as parties to the legal process or as law enforcement officials entitled to confidential information.

Unfortunately, this is all too common. When 13 of those condemned to death in Illinois were later exonerated, the Illinois Commission on Capital Punishment found that nearly half were convicted as the result of false testimony of jailhouse informants. In California, more than 200 inmates have been released from prison since 1989 because of unreliable trials, and, according to a recent report conducted by San Francisco Magazine, 1 in 5 was convicted on the basis of false testimony of such informants.

--

Now the bastard may very well be guilty and deserves to be in prison for the rest of his life -- but the use of the jailhouse testimony lie to up it to a capital case is total and complete BS.  I'm not saying let the guy out -- but commute the sentence to life without parole, especially in light of the evidence about this "cornerstone" of the State's capital case.

But who needs logic and reason when there's an execution afoot cuz killing is wrong! (that is unless the state is doing the killing)

you are right, this guy doesnt deserve to die, and snitches lying in court are usually what puts people in the chair. happens in almost every death row case!

QUOTE(samclemens @ Feb 19, 2006 -> 02:16 PM)
you are right, this guy doesnt deserve to die, and snitches lying in court are usually what puts people in the chair. happens in almost every death row case!

you waited one day to drag this post up and say that?

Edited by kyyle23

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Feb 19, 2006 -> 03:22 PM)
you waited one day to drag this post up and say that?

i know...since i waited a few days, the content of my post is completely neutralized! damn! everybody knows that posts that are late must be criticized. who responds to a post that is relatively old, anyway??