Thomas takes high road in response to Williams

greasywheels121

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Feb 27, 2006 -> 11:24 PM)
What I think you fail to understand that I am just sitting here laughing while others are probably slamming their keyboards and in some cases maybe even headbutting their children because they are so angry.

How many times do I have to say that Frank is the greatest Sox player ever.

Just a damn shame he has to go out on such a sour note.

Fair enough. I can end on that, and respect that.

BTW -- I'm not headbutting my keyboard. I may punch lockers when certain people get traded, but I don't headbutt. :D

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(IlliniKrush @ Feb 27, 2006 -> 06:19 PM)
I haven't said Kenny is 100% correct in this. I mean he went off yesterday, but at some point you have to understand the man. I mean, there has to be a breaking point somewhere. Frank just manged to get him there over time.

Believe me, I understand completely why Kenny would be pissed. Still shouldn't have taken it to the public. And I understand why Frank would be upset. Nobody likes to be told that they aren't needed. Still should have kept it to himself.

The thing is, the debate shouldn't be whether Kenny's is speaking the truth or not. I'm sure Kenny's got some good reasons. The problem is that he should have kept it in-house, and there shouldn't be much debating about that.

For the record, if you forced me to pick sides, I'd choose Kenny's, mostly cause I've never been a big fan of Frank's attitude. But there is no reason to pick sides, and the fact of the matter is, both were completely out of line, and both look bad. Arguing who looks worse, or who is the bigger ass seems pretty stupid.

Edited by KevHead0881

QUOTE(jackie hayes @ Feb 27, 2006 -> 05:20 PM)
Your opinion was about other peoples' opinions, and you can't back it up, and you show that you're clueless about how I'm thinking.  So yes, if you tell me how I'm thinking about something, and you're completely wrong, that qualifies as a dumb opinion.

I support the Sox over any one player.  But that doesn't mean I have to support any idiot statement about a former player, just because it comes from somebody currently in the Sox organization.  If some scout gave a press report about Aaron Rowand strangling stray puppies, he'd better have something to back that up.

My opinion was about my opinion. I never said jackie hayes thinks X. I have no idea what you are even saying at this point.

I don't have to support an idiot statement BY a former player, either. I bet what Kenny said is just all made-up, too. Surely we've never heard bad things about Frank.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Feb 27, 2006 -> 06:25 PM)
Fair enough.  I can end on that, and respect that.

BTW -- I'm not headbutting my keyboard.  I may punch lockers when certain people get traded, but I don't headbutt.  :D

I really am not mad.

It's just hard for me to hear people defend someone so religiously.

The people who truly are mad are the ones who call me ignorant as f***, which for those who have met me from here and several have, is far from the truth.

When you are driven to call someone ignorant as f*** based on a message board post, you may have issues.

QUOTE(KevHead0881 @ Feb 27, 2006 -> 05:26 PM)
Believe me, I understand completely why Kenny would be pissed.  Still shouldn't have taken it to the public.

The thing is, the debate shouldn't be whether Kenny's is speaking the truth or not.  I'm sure Kenny's got some good reasons.  The problem is that he should have kept it in-house, and there shouldn't be much debating about that.

For the record, if you forced me to pick sides, I'd choose Kenny's, mostly cause I've never been a big fan of Frank's attitude.  But there is no reason to pick sides, and the fact of the matter is, both were completely out of line, and both look bad.  Arguing who looks worse, or who is the bigger ass seems pretty stupid.

It's hard to go in-house when Frank goes public with everything.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Feb 27, 2006 -> 05:25 PM)
Fair enough.  I can end on that, and respect that.

BTW -- I'm not headbutting my keyboard.  I may punch lockers when certain people get traded, but I don't headbutt.  :D

I can end on that too. We just don't understand the religious support (he took the high road, etc) of Frank at times. That's why we spoke out.

QUOTE(IlliniKrush @ Feb 27, 2006 -> 10:32 PM)
I know you don't like this argument, but team > player.

I can just turn blinders on and not pay attention to him ripping the team i love a new one. That's just not me. I can't ignore it, many here can. That's how it goes.

QUOTE(IlliniKrush @ Feb 27, 2006 -> 11:26 PM)
My opinion was about my opinion. I never said jackie hayes thinks X. I have no idea what you are even saying at this point.

No, you never said anything about other peoples' opinions.

QUOTE(jackie hayes @ Feb 27, 2006 -> 05:30 PM)
No, you never said anything about other peoples' opinions.

People clapping for Frank is indeed ignoring what he did, for the moment, and clapping for him. Certainly they aren't applauding what he did right now. They are being blind to what he said at that time, and instead applauding him for his accomplishments on the field. It's simple terminology. What a dumb argument this is.

Both of these guys are at fault. Frank started it, but KW couldn't keep his mouth quiet. The one thing this whole saga does it make me appreciate that we brought in a class-act in Jim Thome.

BTW, I don't know if this train of thought has been brought up, but I know we're supposed to appreciate Frank for all the years he played for the Sox. On the other hand, I felt like Frank disrespected those same Sox fans who helped pay his huge salaries when he said he wouldn't have attended the parade or thrown out the first pitch of Game 1.

QUOTE(IlliniKrush @ Feb 27, 2006 -> 11:35 PM)
People clapping for Frank is indeed ignoring what he did, for the moment, and clapping for him. Certainly they aren't applauding what he did right now. They are being blind to what he said at that time, and instead applauding him for his accomplishments on the field. It's simple terminology. What a dumb argument this is.

No, it just means that we aren't obsessing over comments that weren't a big deal to anyone until Kenny threw a hissy fit.

So applauding Frank means that we value a player over the Sox? That is a dumb argument. I appreciate the player and still hope the Sox beat the A's. Real deep concept.

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Feb 27, 2006 -> 05:27 PM)
I really am not mad.

It's just hard for me to hear people defend someone so religiously.

The people who truly are mad are the ones who call me ignorant as f***, which for those who have met me from here and several have, is far from the truth.

When you are driven to call someone ignorant as f*** based on a message board post, you may have issues.

I said you were "being" ignorant. Not that you "were" ignorant. Anyway, I'm gonna take the "high road" and let this go.

Alright I'm gonan say that IMO Kenny went a bit too far, but how far IS too far? Frank just kept going on and on about it. As it has been said many times, there's a breaking point. Seems some people here are pissed becuase Kenny wasn't all nice and spouting cliches. Well IMO as much as Kenny may have gone further than most people go, I don't fault him for it. Has anyone here ever really faulted Ozzie and held grudges against him for some of the many outrageous things he has said? If I'm wrong, certainly feel free to correct me, but I haven't seen that that's the case personally.

I read a comment from Konerko either in this thread or another in which he stated he really has never had an older teammate to talk to about hitting that he saw eye to eye with. KW mentioned that he said he was going to go after Thome to Paulie, I think even before the playoffs ended, and Paulie said a big part of his coming back was Thome being with the Sox. Do you think its possible Paulie has no use for Frank and would have taken the Angels money if Thome were still in Philadelphia or somewhere else, and Frank was hopping up and down on his foot to try to prove he was healthy in Tucson? In other words, do you think Paulie had it in his mind that either Frank goes or he goes? I know he speaks kindly about Frank, but that could be all an act.

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Feb 27, 2006 -> 06:09 PM)
What I would like to know is how people can defend anything Frank has said over the past month and then just totally say KW was wrong in everything he said.

Frank let this continue by opening his mouth time and time again until there was a breaking point.

When asked time and time again about Frank at Soxfest, KW had nothing but nice things to say.

Now that KW basically buried him (put in an urn according to Wilbon) Frank wants to take the high road.

He didn't take the high road.

The high road would have been shutting his mouth upon leaving the team. 

This is a completely logical and sensible approach to the whole thing.

I'm not sure what more you want. Both people are wrong. Frank should have never started it. KW shouldn't have responded to anything in the media. Period.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Feb 27, 2006 -> 06:18 PM)
Who exactly are these people that have 'defended what Frank has said' (besides White Sox Josh, of course)?  I've said multiple times that Frank shouldn't have said what he said.  Same goes for Steff.  Same goes for Greasy.  Same goes for witesoxfan.  Same goes for J4Life.  Same goes for Jackie Hayes.

Yep. I've said Frank's wrong; however, he's still going to be my favorite player. Apparently that's a crime here.

Frankly I think some of these arguments are irrelevant. IMO Frank AND Kenny went to far, BUT I don't blame Kenny at all for the things he said. And YET Frank is still MY all time fave Sox player, too. I may not like what the man says or how he acts or thinks, but I still love the BASEBALL player.

And as I said in my first post, everyone faults Kenny for not spouting a bunch of cliches and acting all nice, and IMO it's really ridiculous. I usually see humor and laughter if say, OZZIE says something outrageous, which is quite often. Correct me if I'm wrong on either account.

Edited by TheBigHurt

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Feb 27, 2006 -> 05:09 PM)
What I would like to know is how people can defend anything Frank has said over the past month and then just totally say KW was wrong in everything he said.

Who the hell is defending him but Josh.. and does he even count...?

Frank should have STFU. That much is agreed upon. Who's saying he was right..? :huh

QUOTE(IlliniKrush @ Feb 27, 2006 -> 05:12 PM)
So now that he didn't respond, he's the good guy? Did we forget who started this? Both KW and Frank took shots. To say Frank is suddenly the good guy is ridiculous.

Who is saying this...?

:huh

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Feb 27, 2006 -> 05:18 PM)
Who exactly are these people that have 'defended what Frank has said' (besides White Sox Josh, of course)?  I've said multiple times that Frank shouldn't have said what he said.  Same goes for Steff.  Same goes for Greasy.  Same goes for witesoxfan.  Same goes for J4Life.  Same goes for Jackie Hayes.

*crickets*

:lol:

IMHO the hierarchy of STFU and taking the high road

Owners > General Managers > Managers > Coaches > HoF caliber players > Starters > Bench Guys > AAAA hanger ons

I think it is a respect the game type of thing.

So in this case, we have

JR , nice move

KW, sorry wrong

Ozzie, nice move

Coaches, all nice move

HoF caliber player, wrong, but less than Kenny.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Feb 27, 2006 -> 06:27 PM)
IMHO the  hierarchy of STFU and taking the high road

Owners > General Managers > Managers > Coaches > HoF caliber players > Starters > Bench Guys > AAAA hanger ons

^^^^^

I was thinking the exact same thing, Texsox.

also

Yea, Frank can be annoying and has been known to whine in the past about things he shouldn't.

but KW has been acting like an ass of late. he called Frank an idiot and starts bringing up crap about how Frank needed to "borrow money" from the sox. this is the same guy that told Ozzie he needed to represent the organization and use some discretion when making public statements.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Feb 27, 2006 -> 05:18 PM)

I don't think he should of said what he said. I have said that.