Thomas takes high road in response to Williams

greasywheels121

QUOTE(IlliniKrush @ Feb 27, 2006 -> 05:19 PM)
We're actually making valid points, not sitting here saying "frank sucks."

That's a better argument that what most people are putting up here, which is "he hit the ball well in the mid 90's"

The thing is, anytime someone puts up an argument with some meat behind it that people don't like, they automatically attack the poster and say they are wrong, etc.

I think everyone has brought up valid arguments.

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(White Sox Josh @ Feb 27, 2006 -> 04:20 PM)
He said he was misquoted and I believe him.  I just finished junior theme and our teacher taught us how to change a quotes meaning without actually taking adding words to it.  For example i found an article pretty much trashing Quentin Tarantino (guy who i picked to my junior theme about).  The quote was this: "People think Tarantino is the Orson Wells of his generation but he is not.  He is no different than any other director."  Here what I used in my paper: "Tarantino is the Orson Wells of his generation."  It is perfectly legal what I did.  I am not adding words to it.  That is probably what happened with Frank.

Hardly. As you can see from the format of the article the entire interview/conversation was printed.

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Feb 27, 2006 -> 04:19 PM)
Care to explain how.

I think I've been quite logical in all of what I've said.

C'mon Boz.. we all know how you feel about him. That would be like me posting over and over and over again how I feel about Willie. Once, twice, or even 57 times like you've done today is good enough.. :P

QUOTE(White Sox Josh @ Feb 27, 2006 -> 04:20 PM)
He said he was misquoted and I believe him.  I just finished junior theme and our teacher taught us how to change a quotes meaning without actually taking adding words to it.  For example i found an article pretty much trashing Quentin Tarantino (guy who i picked to my junior theme about).  The quote was this: "People think Tarantino is the Orson Wells of his generation but he is not.  He is no different than any other director."  Here what I used in my paper: "Tarantino is the Orson Wells of his generation."  It is perfectly legal what I did.  I am not adding words to it.  That is probably what happened with Frank.

Phil Arvia, the last guy who Frank said misquoted or twisted his comments, has the entire interview on tape. He says he did not misquote him. Considering its been 3 or 4 stories with the same theme, if Frank is constantly getting misquoted, why would he continue to grant interviews?

QUOTE(IlliniKrush @ Feb 27, 2006 -> 04:19 PM)

That's a better argument that what most people are putting up here, which is "he hit the ball well in the mid 90's"

Was I speaking to you..?

QUOTE(Steff @ Feb 27, 2006 -> 04:22 PM)
C'mon Boz.. we all know how you feel about him. That would be like me posting over and over and over again how I feel about Willie. Once, twice, or even 57 times like you've done today is good enough..  :P

By the same token, we can say that we know how people feel about Frank.

For the record, i have never hated frank through the years. I thought it was sad how he had to leave, but that's business...but after this offseason, the tune has changed, sorry.

QUOTE(WHarris1 @ Feb 27, 2006 -> 04:02 PM)
Many people have grown up with Frank being their favorite player for as long as they can remember, no matter what flies out of Franks mouth they will always love him.

The point being?

I will love Thomas nearly no matter what comes out of his mouth. Does that mean I can't be objectional and I have to stand by him no matter what he says?

QUOTE(Steff @ Feb 27, 2006 -> 05:22 PM)
C'mon Boz.. we all know how you feel about him. That would be like me posting over and over and over again how I feel about Willie. Once, twice, or even 57 times like you've done today is good enough..  :P

I don't like what he's said and have always maintained that. I mean who would support some of the garbage he's had come out of his mouth.

And I've always said he is the greatest White Sox player ever.

You're stretching a bit far to say I'm making an ass out of myself.

As I was discussing with Brian, many people here are angry about this.

Neither of us are and are just saying how we feel.

It's sad that people have to disparage the individual poster just because they are saying something that "Frank Nation" doesn't like.

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Feb 27, 2006 -> 04:21 PM)
The thing is, anytime someone puts up an argument with some meat behind it that people don't like, they automatically attack the poster and say they are wrong, etc.

I think everyone has brought up valid arguments.

What is your argument why people should not cheer him...?

I haven't seen that one yet.

Just the 15 or so of you saying he's a (sic) cry baby, whiner, complainer, etc, etc...

QUOTE(White Sox Josh @ Feb 27, 2006 -> 04:23 PM)
doesn't mean s***.  You can cut things out in an interview.  You can chose what you want to be put in the quote.

(Also at the Oakland news conference, Thomas said he would not have thrown out a ceremonial first pitch during the playoffs had he known he was not going to be re-signed. He maintained that position Friday.)

Thomas: No, I wouldn't have done that if I knew I was going to leave.

Care to explain how that was twisted?

QUOTE(White Sox Josh @ Feb 27, 2006 -> 05:23 PM)
doesn't mean s***.  You can cut things out in an interview.  You can chose what you want to be put in the quote.

Dude, you are wrong, sorry.

He printed it word for word.

QUOTE(IlliniKrush @ Feb 27, 2006 -> 04:19 PM)

Did 2003, 2004 and last year get erased from history? Nobody is saying he's the Frank he was in 1994. But, when healthy, he was still a major force. That's undeniable.

QUOTE(watchtower41 @ Feb 27, 2006 -> 05:04 PM)
He should listen to himself on the WS dvd, "everyone told me to get a ring I would have to get outta here..... I'm glad I stayed and won one here."

Thanks for pointing this out. I have watched both DVDs and there were two things that made me cringe a little. One was Carl Everett telling everyone to "shut up". That I could handle though I thought it should have been cut from the video. The other was Thomas giving a backdoor slap to the organization. Maybe I am misinterpreting his intentions, but him saying that all his friends were telling him to leave was another one of his patented comments to make him look like a trooper who suffered so long with the White Sox organization.

I agree Frank had a lot of special moments, but he has made more than his share of money for his accomplishments. Frank made some bad investments when he first signed his long term contract (which everyone was praising him for at the time) and ended up working to pay off his debts. His Big Hurt recording sudio went belly up and Frank's dream of being baseball's version of MJ went up in smoke. Meanwhile, he got married and was constantly spotted on the town with women that weren't his wife. She got fed up and divorced him and took him to the cleaners in the process. The aftermath was Frank whined for more money every time he did something good on the field. The fact is, after the strike season Frank was very inconsistent. He had some average and incomplete seasons mixed in with a few great seasons, but never the consistency of his first 6 seasons or so.

QUOTE(IlliniKrush @ Feb 27, 2006 -> 04:24 PM)
By the same token, we can say that we know how people feel about Frank.

For the record, i have never hated frank through the years.  I thought it was sad how he had to leave, but that's business...but after this offseason, the tune has changed, sorry.

Ok.. so you just came into the thread supporting him to talk s***...?

Wow. Things sure have changed.

QUOTE(Steff @ Feb 27, 2006 -> 05:24 PM)
What is your argument why people should not cheer him...?

I haven't seen that one yet.

Just the 15 or so of you saying he's a (sic) cry baby, whiner, complainer, etc, etc...

When did I say he shouldn't be cheered.

I would just sit there.

If you are referring to when I put BOOO along with LOL in the other thead well, okay.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Feb 27, 2006 -> 04:24 PM)
The point being?

I will love Thomas nearly no matter what comes out of his mouth.  Does that mean I can't be objectional and I have to stand by him no matter what he says?

The point being, Jordan said some people are in the kenny can't do no wrong camp because of what he did this year, it goes both ways, some people are fans of the team just cause of Frank and have him in the can't do no wrong camp as well. It's a two way street.

QUOTE(Steff @ Feb 27, 2006 -> 05:26 PM)
Ok.. so you just came into the thread supporting him to talk s***...?

Wow. Things sure have changed.

The thing is, you are getting mad about this and we are just sitting here calm and collected.

Obviously Frank Thomas is such an achilles heel for some White Sox fans that they can't discuss him in a cordial matter.

QUOTE(IlliniKrush @ Feb 27, 2006 -> 10:19 PM)

I'm not "defending Frank", per se, in that context.

I'm really not trying to take sides.

I wish that Frank wouldn't have said anything after he had left. But, come on -- he's been with this same organization for 16 years, has been the best player to ever don the White Sox uni, and isn't leaving on his own terms. Did anyone expect a 'storybook' ending? Should you/we have expected one?

I'm just pissed that KW took it to a whole new level by getting personal. He's supposed to be above these things, and he let his bad side get to him.

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Feb 27, 2006 -> 04:28 PM)
The thing is, you are getting mad about this and we are just sitting here calm and collected.

Obviously Frank Thomas is such an achilles heel for some White Sox fans that they can't discuss him in a cordial matter.

I'm not mad at all. Confused.

I don't ever expect to see or hear fellow fans such and you two acting anything but respectful towards what someone has done regardless of the bulls***. The guy was the Sox for 13 years. He should be thanked for that and that alone.