Thomas takes high road in response to Williams

greasywheels121

Bummer. He let you all down.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2347023

Thomas takes high road in response to Williams

ESPN.com news services

Frank Thomas took the high road one day after his former general manager called him an "idiot."

The former White Sox designated hitter, now a member of the Oakland Athletics, said he spoke to Williams on the phone Sunday night after the GM ripped Thomas for comments he made in The Daily Southtown, a newspaper in the Chicago suburb of Tinley Park, Ill.

"It was a heated discussion ... we will keep it between ourselves. What needed to be said ... was said," Thomas said.

"He's an idiot. He's selfish. That's why we don't miss him," Williams said Sunday.

Since signing with the Oakland Athletics last month, Thomas has made it clear that he didn't appreciate the way his 16-year run with the White Sox ended, saying that chairman Jerry Reinsdorf didn't call him to tell him he wasn't coming back.

Williams was fed up that Thomas was still making remarks about his former team and the way he was treated.

"Jerry has done everything over the course of 16 years to protect that man, to make accommodations for him, concessions for him. He loaned him money, at times, when he needed money," Williams said.

"If he was any kind of a man, he would quit talking about things in the paper and return a phone call or come knock on someone's door. If I had the kind of problems evidently he had with me, I would go knock on his door," he said.

However, on Monday Thomas said he was ready to close the door on his playing career with the White Sox.

"I had 16 good years there. [it's] not necessary to tear it down. [i'm] not hot-headed over the situation," Thomas said.

"This is a totally new situation for me ... don't need these types of distractions."

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Feb 27, 2006 -> 03:41 PM)
Bummer.  He let you all down.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2347023

"Jerry has done everything over the course of 16 years to protect that man, to make accommodations for him, concessions for him. He loaned him money, at times, when he needed money," Williams said.

What a jag.

QUOTE(Steff @ Feb 27, 2006 -> 04:43 PM)

What a jag.

Sometimes the truth hurts.

Sounds like the Big Hurt was hurting for money.

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Feb 27, 2006 -> 03:44 PM)
Sometimes the truth hurts.

Sounds like the Big Hurt was hurting for money.

And... how is that any of the rest of the world's business..?

Sweet geezus.. I can not wait to get down to Arizona...

QUOTE(Steff @ Feb 27, 2006 -> 04:46 PM)
And... how is that any of the rest of the world's business..?

Sweet geezus.. I can not wait to get down to Arizona...

It's common knowledge, although KW still shouldn't have said it.

Nonetheless, KW never makes any comments if Frank would have just taken his parting gifts (holding the trophy at the parade and throwing out the first playoff pitch) and left quietly.

QUOTE(Athomeboy_2000 @ Feb 27, 2006 -> 09:43 PM)
I love how ESPN fraims it that he took the High Road responce when his comments that SPARKED Williams were very LOW Road in bashing the organization.

Thomas wasn't the one who threw around the personal attacks. That was KW, not Frank. Honestly, his comments weren't a whole lot different than from what Benjie Molina said of the Anahiem organization a month or two ago. I didn't see comments from Bill Stoneman calling him a selfish idiot...

Good to see those comments today. Hopefully this thing will just die.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Feb 27, 2006 -> 04:50 PM)
Thomas wasn't the one who threw around the personal attacks.  That was KW, not Frank.  Honestly, his comments weren't a whole lot different than from what Benjie Molina said of the Anahiem organization a month or two ago.  I didn't see comments from Bill Stoneman calling him a selfish idiot...

Good to see those comments today.  Hopefully this thing will just die.

How many times did Bengie Molina say those things? Was it repeatedly?

Frank Thomas started throwing the s***, KW finally answered back, and now Thomas is the bigger man because he's not going to respond.

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Feb 27, 2006 -> 03:48 PM)
It's common knowledge, although KW still shouldn't have said it.

Nonetheless, KW never makes any comments if Frank would have just taken his parting gifts (holding the trophy at the parade and throwing out the first playoff pitch) and left quietly.

Then why the s***ty comment.. "the truth hurts"..? :huh

For those that don't know, Jerry advanced him 2 years of salary - thus not really a "loan" - but again.. who the hell does Kenny think he is running his fat mouth about that s***.

Ugh.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Feb 27, 2006 -> 03:52 PM)
How many times did Bengie Molina say those things?  Was it repeatedly?

Frank Thomas started throwing the s***, KW finally answered back, and now Thomas is the bigger man because he's not going to respond.

Herbert Perry Needs a sponser

http://www.baseball-reference.com/p/perryhe01.shtml

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Feb 27, 2006 -> 03:50 PM)
Thomas wasn't the one who threw around the personal attacks.  That was KW, not Frank.  Honestly, his comments weren't a whole lot different than from what Benjie Molina said of the Anahiem organization a month or two ago.  I didn't see comments from Bill Stoneman calling him a selfish idiot...

Good to see those comments today.  Hopefully this thing will just die.

It wasn't just Frank's comments as of late, Kenny just finally had enough and you could tell in that interview. Frank's latest comments just pushed it over the edge I guess you could say.

Whatever, hopefully this thing will just die soon.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Feb 27, 2006 -> 09:52 PM)
How many times did Bengie Molina say those things?  Was it repeatedly?

Frank didn't call anyone an idiot. And, through every article, he reitterated how much respect he still has for the organization, for the fans, and for the city.

Kenny is supposed to be above all these things. IMO, and in the mind of fans of other teams, it doesn't reflect well.