Ozzie calls out Jenks on his weight

SSH2005

RUH-ROH, sounds like Bobby didn't lose any weight afterall...

http://www.suntimes.com/output/sox/cst-spt-cowley03.html

DIFFERENT OPINIONS: Closer Bobby Jenks feels as if he has been under a microscope this spring, and manager Ozzie Guillen did little to ease his mind Thursday.

After Jenks pitched a scoreless inning in the loss to the Rockies, he was asked about his heavier appearance and said: "I've gotten stronger this offseason, not bigger. There are a lot of doubters I guess I still have to prove wrong.''

Guillen had his own opinion.

"He should take a look twice in the mirror,'' Guillen said. "I hope he's stronger, but he looks a little bigger. Maybe the commercial with McDonald's got him going.

"He is overweight. I don't say he's overweight, he's a big kid. He weighs more than he did the last pitch of last season. If he's stronger, good. I want him to lose a couple more pounds to make sure the team picture looks better.''

Edited by SSH2005

"He is overweight. I don't say he's overweight, he's a big kid. He weighs more than he did the last pitch of last season. If he's stronger, good. I want him to lose a couple more pounds to make sure the team picture looks better.''

ha they might have to break out the wide lens for this years picture

Edited by WhiteSox311

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Mar 3, 2006 -> 01:29 PM)
I prefer Fatolo.   ;)

But seriously, if Bobby lost too much weight would he lose any MPH off of his fastball?  Anyone know?

When he was 250 which was 20 lbs. lighter than last year and even more from right now, he threw as hard as he does now. I don't think extra fat helps put MPH on your fastball. This guy needs to watch it, because there haven't been many 300 lb. pitchers that have had a career of much length. He may be getting close to that weight. Ozzie may need some arm extensions to signal him in from the bullpen this year.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Mar 3, 2006 -> 12:24 PM)
If you recall, the initial reports were that Jenks lost weight (like 10-15 pounds).  Apparently, he hasn't.

I do recall and that's part of my point: Ozzie's doing his job and isn't going out of his way to embarrass Jenks.

QUOTE(WCSox @ Mar 3, 2006 -> 02:59 PM)
I do recall and that's part of my point:  Ozzie's doing his job and isn't going out of his way to embarrass Jenks.

It's his job to make comments to the national media about his obvious weight problem...?

Yea he went out of his way. It's what he does.

QUOTE(Steff @ Mar 3, 2006 -> 02:02 PM)
It's his job to make comments to the national media about his obvious weight problem...?

If Ozzie told him to lose weight this offseason and he did just the opposite, then it definitely is Ozzie's job to say something about it.

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Mar 3, 2006 -> 02:03 PM)
I never said he was.  Calling someone out doesn't always mean that you are trying to embarrass that person.

Agreed. Apologies for the confusion.

QUOTE(WCSox @ Mar 3, 2006 -> 03:10 PM)
If Ozzie told him to lose weight this offseason and he did just the opposite, then it definitely is Ozzie's job to say something about it.

You are kidding me, right...? You seriously didn't understand my comment..?

I'll clarify...

Yea he should say something.. to HIM.

QUOTE(Steff @ Mar 3, 2006 -> 02:13 PM)

I'll clarify...

And apparently you misunderstood my original post: I believe that Ozzie made those comments because Jenks failed to comply with his request, not to take a personal shot at him. Agreed that Ozzie didn't need to go to the press, but that's just "Ozzie being Ozzie."

QUOTE(WCSox @ Mar 3, 2006 -> 03:15 PM)
And apparently you misunderstood my original post:  I believe that Ozzie made those comments because Jenks failed to comply with his request, not to take a personal shot at him.  Agreed that Ozzie didn't need to go to the press, but that's just "Ozzie being Ozzie."

I read it, and I think I understood "he's not calling him out". :huh

Yet, he did call him out... and (imo) in the process likely embarrassed him.

QUOTE(Steff @ Mar 3, 2006 -> 09:13 PM)

I'll clarify...

I definitely wish Ozzie would have just kept this comment to himself. There's no reason to call out Jenks in the media like that. We all love Ozzie for his honesty in the media. However, there are some players and some issues that might be better off being handled in private. Oh well, it's not a big deal.

QUOTE(fathom @ Mar 3, 2006 -> 03:20 PM)
I definitely wish Ozzie would have just kept this comment to himself.  There's no reason to call out Jenks in the media like that.  We all love Ozzie for his honesty in the media.  However, there are some players and some issues that might be better off being handled in private.  Oh well, it's not a big deal.

Eh.. not his style to be low key. Just hope it doesn't backfire on him...

I'm interested in seeing how Jenks responds to a full season in the majors.  Between his weight, elbow, and stress of a full season, he's definitely a wild card this year.

If Urbina is found not guilty and gets out of jail, I really hope we sign him. He would be a nice fallback closer option. I really don't trust Hermanson to repeat his career year.

Edited by SSH2005