OAK vs. CHI Mar. 7th 3:05 ET

hi8is

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Ummm, is there a chance Sweeney could make this team?

That would be pretty shocking but I doubt it. The Sox still want him to develop his power in the minors. I doubt Sweeney makes the Sox roster until Dye is gone after 2007 so he can be our starting RF'er.

Edited by SSH2005

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Mar 7, 2006 -> 01:55 PM)

Even if he could...i'd rather have him in AAA for the year...just trying to make sure he's ready to come up. Unless Dye gets hurt. Sweeney should try to be ready to imitate Anderson next year.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Mar 7, 2006 -> 04:55 PM)

I highly doubt it, but I guess that extra outfielder position is wide open right now. Good to see him hit a few long balls. Looks like that pretty swing has found a little extra power in the offseason.

QUOTE(Chisoxrd5 @ Mar 7, 2006 -> 03:57 PM)
I highly doubt it, but I guess that extra outfielder position is wide open right now. Good to see him hit a few long balls. Looks like that pretty swing has found a little extra power in the offseason.

They say his wrists and his constant tinkering with his swing was holding him back. Looks like that is not the case anymore. If I had to choose between Borchard, Gload and Sweeney up, I would choose Borchard. But its nice to see that Dye's replacement is not too far off.

QUOTE(robinventura23 @ Mar 7, 2006 -> 03:58 PM)
I doubt Sweeney will make the team.  Much like Owens, they don't want him sitting on the bench.  They'd rather he get at bats and continue to develop in the minors.  JMO.

I agree with this whole-heartedly. If he finishes spring with like 7 homers and a 450 batting average, he might make it interesting. But overall, I don't expect to see him until september

They say his wrists and his constant tinkering with his swing was holding him back.  Looks like that is not the case anymore.  If I had to choose between Borchard, Gload and Sweeney up, I would choose Borchard.  But its nice to see that Dye's replacement is not too far off.

I definately think that our 2008 opening day outfield will be:

LF Jerry Owens

CF Brian Anderson

RF Ryan Sweeney

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Mar 7, 2006 -> 02:01 PM)
I definately think that our 2008 opening day outfield will be:

LF  Jerry Owens

CF  Brian Anderson

RF  Ryan Sweeney

And the beautiful thing about it...it will cost somewhere around $1.5 million.

Here's the real question. Owens and Sweeney have great years in AAA this year. Do you risk trading Dye or Podsednik and giving them the job in 07? Save some money to resign Buehrle, that's for sure.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Mar 7, 2006 -> 04:02 PM)

Here's the real question.  Owens and Sweeney have great years in AAA this year.  Do you risk trading Dye or Podsednik and giving them the job in 07?  Save some money to resign Buehrle, that's for sure.

Yes, you do. I think trading Pods after this year would yield tremendous results. Lead off men should be at a premium in upcoming years, and PODS is one of the best ones out there. It should at least allow us to replenish some of our minors.

QUOTE(iWiN4PreP @ Mar 7, 2006 -> 04:01 PM)
dam. I just got 12 pick in my 22nd fantasy draft

its better than the 8th, 9th, 10th, or 11th pick in the draft. having two picks in a row is a pretty big luxury imo... it allows you to develop a cohesive strategy for consecutive picks..

Here's the real question.  Owens and Sweeney have great years in AAA this year.  Do you risk trading Dye or Podsednik and giving them the job in 07?  Save some money to resign Buehrle, that's for sure.

There's no reason to trade Dye at this point. He's dirt-cheap ($5 million in 2006, $6 million team option for 2007). You just keep Dye and give Sweeney two full seasons to develop. Podsednik might be a good trade option because Owens could be ready soon. But when is Pods a free agent?

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Mar 7, 2006 -> 04:06 PM)
There's no reason to trade Dye at this point.  He's dirt-cheap ($5 million in 2006, $6 million team option for 2007).  You just keep Dye and give Sweeney two full seasons to develop.  Podsednik might be a good trade option because Owens could be ready soon.  But when is Pods a free agent?

following the 2008 season. So not for a long time.

Yes, you do.  I think trading Pods after this year would yield tremendous results.  Lead off men should be at a premium in upcoming years, and PODS is one of the best ones out there.  It should at least allow us to replenish some of our minors.

Yep, and perhaps other teams don't view Podsednik as a defensive liability in CF like the Sox do. His value to other teams would be higher if they think he can still play CF. I seem to remember the Giants being interested in trading for Podsednik to use him as a CF'er before KW snatched him up. Pods will be a few years older so the Giants will love him even more. :D

Edited by SSH2005

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Mar 7, 2006 -> 02:06 PM)
There's no reason to trade Dye at this point.  He's dirt-cheap ($5 million in 2006, $6 million team option for 2007).  You just keep Dye and give Sweeney two full seasons to develop.  Podsednik might be a good trade option because Owens could be ready soon.  But when is Pods a free agent?

But here's the other side of that token...for the same reason we might want to keep Dye...other teams might be willing to give up something of value for him, especially if he has another healthy season this year. Because he's cheap in 07, if Sweeney has a great year at AAA...Dye could bring us something else fairly useful. There are teams who would happily trade for a right handed bat who plays decent outfield defense and hits 30 home runs a year, if he does so again this year. You won't get King Felix, but you can get something useful.

QUOTE(AbeFroman @ Mar 7, 2006 -> 02:09 PM)
If Podsednik gets injured, does owens or sweeney take his place?

Whichever one is having the better year at AAA, regardless of speed. If they're both having equally good years...Owens.