OAK vs. CHI Mar. 7th 3:05 ET

hi8is

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Mar 7, 2006 -> 04:35 PM)
wow, could you be more negative??

First off, Sweeney is not a mediocre fielder.  He is a good fielder with a plus arm.  He is expected to produce that much power, and his tinkering of his swing really effected that last year.  If you have seen him play, you know why they say he has a major league swing.  At age 19 he tore up major league competition in ST.

Owens is a 4th OF'er if you have PODS playing there already.  he is basically the same type of player, slap hitter, weak arm, tons of speed.  The guy has hit very well in the minors and winter ball.  He should project as PODS replacement in LF as well as batting lead off.

Anderson is a rookie this year, Rowand was a vet.  Of course it is somewhat far off to expect him to out produce his stats this year.  Of course expecting him to be good on defense, and improve on his offense all year is not out of the question.  He is supposed to have better tools than Rowand, so I would expect him to be a better player eventually.

Sweeney is a mediocore fielder... maybe slightly above average.... he does have a good arm though.

Realistically i think it is naive to expect all three of these players to be starters for the white sox. This is not some dream world that all prospects pan out and have good careers. Many players just don't have what it takes to be a major league player... or a full time major league player. I would be shocked if two of anderson, sweeney, owens, start for more than three years in the majors... btw that 33% is still a good ratio for minor leaguers to make it pro and stick.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Mar 7, 2006 -> 04:40 PM)
Man, im glad most people dont count out 21 year olds in sports so easily.

I am not counting him out. Reading soxtalk though you would think we have 10 players in the minors that have the ability to be starters in the majors... when in reality we may have one or two.

Sweeney is a mediocore fielder... maybe slightly above average.... he does have a good arm though.

Realistically i think it is naive to expect all three of these players to be starters for the white sox. This is not some dream world that all prospects pan out and have good careers. Many players just don't have what it takes to be a major league player... or a full time major league player. I would be shocked if two of anderson, sweeney, owens, start for more than three years in the majors... btw that 33% is still a good ratio for minor leaguers to make it pro and stick.

Have you been watching Barons games or something?

QUOTE(q\/\/3r+y @ Mar 7, 2006 -> 04:44 PM)

you are right that many top prospects dont pan out. Owens was a nobody prospect, who we aquired for Alex Escobar. He then began to produce. Minor leaguers that produce do make it to the show one way or another.

Right now the only two top draft choices that we are talking about are Sweeney and Anderson. The rest of our top picks arent really much of anything at this point. These are guys that are producing, and have produced. Thats why they have a chance to make it. Your 33 percent chance figure makes no sense in this situation. If you want to gauge success rate. Compare these 3 with the number of draft choices since 2003, that is your figure for them.

QUOTE(q\/\/3r+y @ Mar 7, 2006 -> 05:45 PM)
I am not counting him out. Reading soxtalk though you would think we have 10 players in the minors that have the ability to be starters in the majors... when in reality we may have one or two.

You should just shut up because you're not a real fan.

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Mar 7, 2006 -> 04:46 PM)
Have you been watching Barons games or something?

Ever read mailbags or baseball america... how about baseball think facory? I remember there was a pretty good conversation about him there. His defense is not anything to write home about... but on the other hand it's not something to worry about. To be honest... he does not have many things he does extremely well. Anyone who says otherwise is just saying so to say so. Great swing... plus arm... what else? He is not very fast... have read his reads could be better... and i am not sure about his base running. He has a decent eye... about a .60 differential... but unless he developes serious power int he near future ( next couple years) i cannot see him as our starting right fielder in 2008. It's not that he just hasn't had homerun power... it is also gap power.

Ever read mailbags or baseball america... how about baseball think facory? I remember there was a pretty good conversation about him there. His defense is not anything to write home about... but on the other hand it's not something to worry about. To be honest... he does not have many things he does extremely well. Anyone who says otherwise is just saying so to say so. Great swing... plus arm... what else? He is not very fast... have read his reads could be better... and i am not sure about his base running. He has a decent eye... about a .60 differential... but unless he developes serious power int he near future ( next couple years) i cannot see him as our starting right fielder in 2008. It's not that he just hasn't had homerun power... it is also gap power.

I would like to hear BHAMBARONS weigh in on Sweeney's defense. I believe that poster goes to a ton of Barons games or something like that.

In 5 years, my opinion is that Sweeney has the best chance of being a good player for the White Sox. I'm not sold on Anderson, and I think Owens won't be a starter for the Sox. I'd really like to see Anderson shorten his swing.

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Mar 7, 2006 -> 05:02 PM)
I would like to hear BHAMBARONS weigh in on Sweeney's defense.  I believe that poster goes to a ton of Barons games or something like that.

Probally has talked about it in the future sox board at some point... but the search still sucks ( it's awful on google).

QUOTE(fathom @ Mar 7, 2006 -> 05:03 PM)
In 5 years, my opinion is that Sweeney has the best chance of being a good player for the White Sox.  I'm not sold on Anderson, and I think Owens won't be a starter for the Sox.  I'd really like to see Anderson shorten his swing.

his swing does appear kinda long. But he is pretty decent at making contact.

In 5 years, my opinion is that Sweeney has the best chance of being a good player for the White Sox.  I'm not sold on Anderson, and I think Owens won't be a starter for the Sox.  I'd really like to see Anderson shorten his swing.

Anderson needs to lay off the breaking crap low and in the dirt. Otherwise, he will have the same annoying weakness as Rowand.

QUOTE(q\/\/3r+y @ Mar 7, 2006 -> 04:56 PM)

I think he will improve defensely. Remember he is young and not only that, growing up in Iowa has limited his experience. As a 20 year old,he hit .298 in a park that isn't the easiest to hit in, even with 2 healthy wrists. I believe his power will come. He makes good contact. There are a lot more prospects with a lesser chance than Sweeney of being productive major league players, than there are with more of a chance. You are right though. Most prospects don't amount to much.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Mar 7, 2006 -> 11:05 PM)
his swing does appear kinda long.  But he is pretty decent at making contact.

I just have a feeling he's going to struggle at the low and away slider like Rowand did last season. However, the upgrade from Everett to Thome will offset any downgrade from Rowand to Anderson (even though everyone knows I wasn't a fan of Rowand). Iguchi is the guy I think will be key. He was swinging with no confidence at the end of last season.

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Mar 7, 2006 -> 03:06 PM)
Anderson needs to lay off the breaking crap low and in the dirt.  Otherwise, he will have the same annoying weakness as Rowand.

And Crede...

And Uribe...

And Konerko when he decides to be a "Pull hitter"...

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Mar 7, 2006 -> 11:06 PM)
Anderson needs to lay off the breaking crap low and in the dirt.  Otherwise, he will have the same annoying weakness as Rowand.

Wow, that's scary how similar our posts were. :cheers

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Mar 7, 2006 -> 05:05 PM)
his swing does appear kinda long.  But he is pretty decent at making contact.

Anderson is gonna be second on the team in strikeouts barring injury or if he gets benched for an extended period of time.

Just curious but why don't people think that Jerry Owens can't or won't be a starter in the MLB. What does Podsednik do that Owens can't do? Or is it just that you guys don't think that Podsednik is worthy of a starting LF job?

Wow, that's scary how similar our posts were.    :cheers

;)

Edited by SSH2005

QUOTE(q\/\/3r+y @ Mar 7, 2006 -> 05:08 PM)
Anderson is gonna be second on the team in strikeouts barring injury or if he gets benched for an extended period of time.

If he gets 500 ABs you may be right, but he will probably not get enough ABs to overtake Dye or Konerko. Thome should have the K title wrapped up by Aug.1.

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Mar 7, 2006 -> 11:09 PM)
Just curious but why don't people think that Jerry Owens can't or won't be a starter in the MLB.  What does Podsednik do that Owens can't do?  Or is it just that you guys don't think that Podsednik is worthy of a starting LF job?

For every guy like Podsednik who does enough to warrant a starting spot, there's someone like Tike Redman who just isn't worth the at-bats he receives.

QUOTE(fathom @ Mar 7, 2006 -> 05:09 PM)
Who's going to be first?  Thome?

I see it going thome, anderson, iguchi, konerko, dye... all with 100 strike outs... dye might be not strike out 100 times but the 90's in very likely.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Mar 7, 2006 -> 05:10 PM)
If he gets 500 ABs you may be right, but he will probably not get enough ABs to overtake Dye or Konerko. Thome should have the K title wrapped up by Aug.1.

Iguchi had the most strikeouts last year in the least amount of bats.... do not forget him.