Washington DC Regional

QUOTE(Palehosefan @ Mar 12, 2006 -> 09:02 PM)
Forgot to answer your last two quotes.

As for UCLA, I would take Afflalo, Farmar, and Cedric Bozeman over the Villanova quartet, especially with the eye injury.

I like Horner, Henderson and Haluska over Paulus/Dockery/Redick because the Iowa triplet is much more interchangible than the Duke trio. Redick is the one man show, and if he's having an off night, the other two guys don't have the scoring ability to keep their team afloat without Shelden and McRoberts dominating inside.

WHOA! I like the UCLA guards. But better than Nova's? I gotta disagree with you there.

• Replies 506
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do. Randy Foye is a great player admittedly, but I think Afflalo would match up well with him. Nardi floats on the perimeter too much and jacks up bad shots. Allan Ray is nice, but he's an under-sized 2 guard that is a blackhole, yet barely shoots 40%. The Nova guards are great, but its mostly out of neccessity. Their low assist numbers really bother me as well. For as much as they play, and as much as they jack up 3's from passes from each other, you would think one of them would be averaging atleast 4 assists a game, especially considering they all play atlest 29 minutes a game. I do love Lowry and Foye, but I think Aaron and Jordan would match up well. Bozeman's size and ballhandling would also cause matchup problems for any of the Nova guards. I think it would be a tremendous matchup.

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2006 @ Mar 12, 2006 -> 09:44 PM)
I've got them in the elite 8.  Where do you have them?

Same. Last year I had them losing to nova in the sweet 16...SOOOOOOOOO close. Damn you refs and damn you Sumpter. And damn you palehose too for good measure. :)

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Mar 12, 2006 -> 09:40 PM)
Here's a funny tidbit from my bracket: I have UNC going further this year then I had them going last year.

in probably my boldest move int he bracket, I have MSU beating them in the 2nd round.

QUOTE(watchtower41 @ Mar 13, 2006 -> 02:56 PM)
I love how all the Illini fans are whining today because of thier seed being in the same region as UConn, yet fail to realize they have the easiest 1st round  oppenent outside of 16 seed in the whole tourney.  It's March kids, take it one game at a time.

LOL, so you are saying everything is ok because of a first round opponent? That's awesome.

QUOTE(watchtower41 @ Mar 13, 2006 -> 08:56 PM)
I love how all the Illini fans are whining today because of thier seed being in the same region as UConn, yet fail to realize they have the easiest 1st round  oppenent outside of 16 seed in the whole tourney.  It's March kids, take it one game at a time.

my discontent has nothing to do with being in the same bracket as uconn. tennessee and north carolina's placement ahead of them in the same bracket is why i'm a little peeved.

QUOTE(thedoctor @ Mar 13, 2006 -> 04:01 PM)
my discontent has nothing to do with being in the same bracket as uconn. tennessee and north carolina's placement ahead of them in the same bracket is why i'm a little peeved.

Correct, and the fact that we are in san diego instead of dayton/auburn hills, which we would have had with a higher seed most likely.

QUOTE(IlliniKrush @ Mar 13, 2006 -> 03:41 PM)
LOL, so you are saying everything is ok because of a first round opponent? That's awesome.

No, that's not what I'm saying at all.... I'm saying you can only look as far as your first opponent. Experts are basically giving the Illini a bye in the first round, that's more respect than Memphis is getting with Oral Roberts. There is no guarantee what team the Illini will play after that.... Having the tourney favorite in your region does not make this a bad draw, yes, UConn is in this region but who is to say they'll be around all tourney or for an eventual matchup with the Illini?? s***, they struggled with Louisville last week. It was pretty common knowlege that the Illini would drop to a 4 if they didnt fare well in the Big Ten tourney. Its too easy to compare seeds from other regions, but each seed and team has to be looked at seperately. Of course Tenn doesnt deserve a 2 seed, but that doesnt make the Illini more deserving.

QUOTE(watchtower41 @ Mar 13, 2006 -> 10:03 PM)
No, that's not what I'm saying at all.... I'm saying you can only look as far as your first opponent.  Experts are basically giving the Illini a bye in the first round, that's more respect than Memphis is getting with Oral Roberts.  There is no guarantee what team the Illini will play after that.... Having the tourney favorite in your region does not make this a bad draw, yes, UConn is in this region but who is to say they'll be around all tourney or for an eventual matchup with the Illini?? s***, they struggled with Louisville last week.  It was pretty common knowlege that the Illini would drop to a 4 if they didnt fare well in the Big Ten tourney.  Its too easy to compare seeds from other regions, but each seed and team has to be looked at seperately.  Of course Tenn doesnt deserve a 2 seed, but that doesnt make the Illini more deserving.

ok, skip tennessee. what is the plausible explanation for carolina getting a better seed than illinois in the same bracket?

QUOTE(thedoctor @ Mar 13, 2006 -> 04:05 PM)
ok, skip tennessee. what is the plausible explanation for carolina getting a better seed than illinois in the same bracket?

This will be the one and only time you will see me defend UNC, but the breakdown between the two is actually pretty easy.

-UNC won 8 in a row (including @ #1 Duke) going into the ACC tourney and beat Virginia in the tourney.

-Illinois is 5-4 in their last 9 games and looked horrible in their opening round loss to Michigan State.

Conference tournaments do count on the resume. I agree that I would favor the Illini's overall body of work opposed to UNC, but how you finish has always been a major factor with the committee, this year was no different. UNC also has also earned an elite reputation with the tournament, they will get the benefit in a close situation.

Just cause this is still bothering me a little bit, I would like to go over 2 resume's.

Mo State: 4 rpi top 50 wins, rpi of 21, sos of 48, 8 and 2 in their last 10, tied for 2nd in the mvc which is the 6th rpi conference in the nation.

Air Force: 0 rpi top 50 wins, rpi of 50, sos of 158, 7 and 3 in their last 10, tied for 2nd in the mwc which was the 8th rpi conference I believe.

What the f*** am I missing here?? I heard that Air Force got in because typically the number 8 conference gets atleast two teams in. Now if that's true, all that bulls*** the committee has fed us about conferences not recieving bids is well..bulls***.

Edited by Rowand44

QUOTE(watchtower41 @ Mar 13, 2006 -> 10:53 PM)
This will be the one and only time you will see me defend UNC, but the breakdown between the two is actually pretty easy. 

-UNC won 8 in a row (including @ #1 Duke) going into the ACC tourney and beat Virginia in the tourney.

-Illinois is 5-4 in their last 9 games and looked horrible in their opening round loss to Michigan State. 

Conference tournaments do count on the resume.  I agree that I would favor the Illini's overall body of work opposed to UNC, but how you finish has always been a major factor with the committee, this year was no different.  UNC also has also earned an elite reputation with the tournament, they will get the benefit in a close situation.

i'm interested in your choice of a sampling size. you chose the past nine games. over that stretch, unc had a 6-3 record and illinois was 5-4. if you go to 10 games, both teams are 6-4. choosing a representative sample that just fits your argument isn't that sound.

and let's look at those last 10 games. in their final 10 games unc beat two tournament teams. they beat nc state and duke. in their final 10 games illinois beat four tournament teams - michigan state, wisconsin, indiana and iowa. what is more impressive?

so unc looked better in their tournament. one game better. they beat 15-14 virginia. illinois did not look great against michigan state, but who is better - msu or virginia.

so the finish stronger argument isn't that great, imo. what about the whole season.

illinois had more wins against the rpi top 50. they had a better record than the heels. they finished in the same league position in a league generally considered stronger. they beat unc AT unc.

no way unc deserved a better seed. none.

but that's it. it's quitting time and after today no more b****ing. wah.