Majerus to become headcoach of ASU?

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Mar 28, 2006 -> 11:23 PM)

Ironic, how the colors I used in your icon are kind of ASU colored. I'll definitely miss his great analysis on ESPN.

Robert Vahhhden needs to step it up and take it down into the pohhhhst more on ohhhfense.

Notice they said "Pending a physical evaluation". How often do they do that for coaches. I think he would have been a top candidate for the Indiana job if he didnt have health problems. He may not last long in the hot Arizona dessert.

Edited by HoosierSox

QUOTE(HoosierSox @ Mar 29, 2006 -> 10:42 AM)
Notice they said "Pending a physical evaluation". How often do they do that for coaches. I think he would have been a top candidate for the Indiana job if he didnt have health problems. He may not last long in the hot Arizona dessert.

Rick was my pick for the IU job if he was healthy. Tremendous Xs and Os guy and an incredible recruiter. I'll never understand how he got guys to go play in Utah :bang

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Mar 29, 2006 -> 01:41 PM)
Rick was my pick for the IU job if he was healthy.  Tremendous Xs and Os guy and an incredible recruiter.  I'll never understand how he got guys to go play in Utah :bang

Health is probably the only thing that prevented him from being put into consideration. He's a great coach, but his health is such a question mark/liability that it's got to scare potential suitors.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Mar 29, 2006 -> 10:47 AM)
Health is probably the only thing that prevented him from being put into consideration.  He's a great coach, but his health is such a question mark/liability that it's got to scare potential suitors.

About the only thing that could make IU's basketball team look worse right now (other than discovering that Davis had violated rules or something) would be pulling a Notre Dame...hiring some guy, then getting stuck having to hire a replacement when he pulls out.

USC got stuck with Tim Floyd when that happened. If Majerus had dropped 100 pounds this season, I'd have said OK, but he sure hasn't. He's a big risk for any program. It only makes sense if you're trying to get a program back up that hasn't been good in a while.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Mar 29, 2006 -> 01:00 PM)
USC got stuck with Tim Floyd when that happened.

He has had great success during his 12 seasons at the college level, going 243-130 (.651) overall with five NCAA Tournament appearances. During his 12 seasons, he was able to develop 10 players who went on to play in the NBA, including three players who had never played high school basketball.

Floyd then went to Iowa State for four years (1995-98), going 81-47 (.633). He was the only Cyclone coach to ever post three consecutive 20-win seasons and lead the team to three straight NCAA Tournament first round victories. Iowa State rose to No. 4 in the rankings in 1997 and three of his teams finished in the Top 20.

Iowa State won a then-school record 23 games in his 1995 debut season, getting into the NCAA tourney's second round and spending 11 consecutive weeks in the AP Top 25. His 1996 squad bettered that as it won 24 games and captured the school's first-ever Big Eight Tournament championship. That season, he was the Big Eight Coach of the Year and the runnerup for AP National Coach of the Year. His 1997 team went 22-9 and advanced to the NCAA's Sweet Sixteen.

He also has put together a damn good recruiting class this year and is off to a great start for the class of 2007. Floyd sucked in the NBA, but he's a proven good coach at the collegiate level. I wouldn't say ending up with Floyd rather than big boy Majerus is "settling".

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Mar 29, 2006 -> 02:02 PM)
He also has put together a damn good recruiting class this year and is off to a great start for the class of 2007.  Floyd sucked in the NBA, but he's a proven good coach at the collegiate level.  I wouldn't say ending up with Floyd rather than big boy Majerus is "settling".

Floyd was a better hire than Sampson. Call me crazy, but Floyd coached and suceeded at every stop of the way including a non powerhouse like ISU.

He is now at USC and so far has done an oustanding job recruiting and he's a very good collegiate X's and O's guy. To make things better USC finally got there own arena on campus (opened up late this past season).

I expect them to become a power in the Pac 10 (along with UCLA, Washington and Arizona).

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Mar 29, 2006 -> 04:05 PM)
Floyd was a better hire than Sampson.  Call me crazy, but Floyd coached and suceeded at every stop of the way including a non powerhouse like ISU.

He is now at USC and so far has done an oustanding job recruiting and he's a very good collegiate X's and O's guy.  To make things better USC finally got there own arena on campus (opened up late this past season).

I expect them to become a power in the Pac 10 (along with UCLA, Washington and Arizona).

Agreed on all counts.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Mar 29, 2006 -> 04:05 PM)
Floyd was a better hire than Sampson.  Call me crazy, but Floyd coached and suceeded at every stop of the way including a non powerhouse like ISU.

He is now at USC and so far has done an oustanding job recruiting and he's a very good collegiate X's and O's guy.  To make things better USC finally got there own arena on campus (opened up late this past season).

We were a powerhouse for a year there. :P Finished ranked third in 2000.