take it easy on ozzie

pale_hose

I read in a post yesterday that someone wrote "Fire Ozzie!". I hope he was joking. What has Ozzie done to make us want him fired? Maybe he shouldn't ahve put Boone in yesterday, but who knows. That was the worst pitch he made in a month said AJ. So we've lost 2 straight and Im still not worried. Espn writers say we're already in trouble...Screw 'em. Anywho Sox Fans, don't worry, we're still a good team. Two days of not pitching well or hitting well wont hurt us. Hell, we're world champs...

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Apr 6, 2006 -> 01:03 PM)
I've never thought Ozzie was a perticularly good manager.  Infact, I think he's a bad in-game manager.

Regardless, He's a character guy, and team chemistry is clearly important proven by last years dramatic White Sox World Series victory.

i basically agree with this statement.

His use of the bullpen last season was horrendous at times. But that never even came into play in the playoffs because of our ridiculous starters.

QUOTE(SnB @ Apr 6, 2006 -> 12:09 PM)
i basically agree with this statement.

His use of the bullpen last season was horrendous at times.  But that never even came into play in the playoffs because of our ridiculous starters.

I think Ozzie is an excellent tactical manager. Logan facing Hafner yesterday was the right call because you have to find who he's capable of getting out. Logan has to get the Hafner's of the world out or there's no reason to have three lefties in the pen.

Edited by Wealz

QUOTE(Wealz @ Apr 6, 2006 -> 12:32 PM)
I think Ozzie is an excellent tactical manager.  Logan facing Hafner yesterday was the right call because you have to find who he's capable of getting out.  Logan has to get the Hafner's of the world out or there's no reason to have three lefties in the pen.

Up 1 in the 8th inning to a division rival is not the time to be finding out whether Logan is good or if he's trash. There are much much better times to see what Logan has. Win the game first and foremost.

QUOTE(sircaffey @ Apr 6, 2006 -> 07:51 PM)
Up 1 in the 8th inning to a division rival is not the time to be finding out whether Logan is good or if he's trash.  There are much much better times to see what Logan has.  Win the game first and foremost.

I couldn't have said it any better. There was no excuse for that yesterday, especially after the Indians had seen Boone the day before. It's just too bad that a World Series contending team can't have the luxury of Logan getting another year in the minors to refine his location and command.

QUOTE(sircaffey @ Apr 6, 2006 -> 01:51 PM)
Up 1 in the 8th inning to a division rival is not the time to be finding out whether Logan is good or if he's trash.  There are much much better times to see what Logan has.  Win the game first and foremost.

You can't hide Logan all year. He's gonna have to be in those types of situations if he's gonna be in your bullpen. Or else why is he here? I'd rather him get experience in those types of spots now.

QUOTE(pale_hose @ Apr 6, 2006 -> 12:44 PM)
I read in a post yesterday that someone wrote "Fire Ozzie!".  I hope he was joking.  What has Ozzie done to make us want him fired?  Maybe he shouldn't ahve put Boone in yesterday, but who knows.  That was the worst pitch he made in a month said AJ.  So we've lost 2 straight and Im still not worried.  Espn writers say we're already in trouble...Screw 'em.  Anywho Sox Fans, don't worry, we're still a good team.  Two days of not pitching well or hitting well wont hurt us.  Hell, we're world champs...

I totally agree with you because if you look at the Yankees they always start off the season on a bad note. But then as the season continues they become the dominating team in their division. You know the Yankees are a great team despite their high pay roll. So it is just the beginning of the season and of course some people might be a little rusty than others but in the middle of the season they are good as new.

QUOTE(sircaffey @ Apr 6, 2006 -> 01:51 PM)

It's game 3 of 162.

If Jenks was throwing like he did last year, Cotts wouldn't have had to been saved to close the game and would have pitched to Hafner.

i guess my privious responce was too child like... so i will make this reply.... a little less adolecent.....

sorry thou, i still cant spell...

here goes....

in regard to the ESPN writers who are saying that the sky is falling.... f*** THOSE ASS HATS.

PUBLIC SERVICE ANOUNCEMENT:

* please note, for future refrence, there will be a limit of 2 (two) expletive words per post. please also note.... expletive words such as "it" "as" or "and" are void from this rule. However, expletive words like... "s***" "butt" "fart" and/or any other four letter words which may be constructed as "offesnive" are subject to this rule....... see also, "f***" *

Edited by hi8is

Totally agree, we are so impossibly fantastic that we will have at LEAST ten games that we can give away, even to division rivals. If we actually play to win (how quaint!), we're guaranteed 110 wins. At WORST we'll have 105 wins with Ozzie's "play the most questionable guys first in big games that aren't really big games even though they're against the Indians because they occur in April" philosophy.

Christ, anyone questions Ozzie's decision and everyone announces that the poster's given up on the season. A pretty mild thread speculating that the World Series celebrations might have distracted the players also gets locked while these useless STOP ALL NEGATIVITY!!!!!!!!!! threads keep chugging. How does anyone get from last year that we have games to play with in April?

So have at it -- let's hear how I'm not a Sox fan b/c I'd rather see them win than have extended spring training for Boone Logan.

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2006 @ Apr 6, 2006 -> 02:04 PM)
You can't hide Logan all year.  He's gonna have to be in those types of situations if he's gonna be in your bullpen.  Or else why is he here?  I'd rather him get experience in those types of spots now.

Better now than later, find out if the kid can pitch here, if not.. he Gone!

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2006 @ Apr 6, 2006 -> 09:07 PM)
This is pretty simply to understand to me.  I don't see why people are getting upset.

how about see if he can pitch WHEN IT ISNT A 1 RUN GAME... and he isnt facing ONE OF THE BEST LHED HITTERS IN THE AL?

if it was 4-2 sox with 2 outs in the 8th and halfner comes up with the bases empty... sure, give him a shot.... but i think that the game was so close is what others are kinda irked about.

QUOTE(hi8is @ Apr 6, 2006 -> 03:15 PM)
how about see if he can pitch WHEN IT ISNT A 1 RUN GAME... and he isnt facing ONE OF THE BEST LHED HITTERS IN THE AL?

if it was 4-2 sox with 2 outs in the 8th and halfner comes up with the bases empty... sure, give him a shot.... but i think that the game was so close is what others are kinda irked about.

Like I said, you can't hide the guy all year. Everbody wants Ozzie to shield Logan and Thornton, that's just not realistic over a 162 game schedule. You have to see what guys can do in pressure situations.

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2006 @ Apr 6, 2006 -> 04:22 PM)
Like I said,  you can't hide the guy all year.  Everbody wants Ozzie to shield Logan and Thornton,  that's just not realistic over a 162 game schedule.  You have to see what guys can do in pressure situations.

Ah, but we're only talking about 3 games. Only one of which was close and against our chief competition in the Central.

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2006 @ Apr 6, 2006 -> 09:22 PM)
Like I said,  you can't hide the guy all year.  Everbody wants Ozzie to shield Logan and Thornton,  that's just not realistic over a 162 game schedule.  You have to see what guys can do in pressure situations.

in my best bulwinkel voice:

"duh... ok george!"

i just dont agree... but its cool, we're still homedogs from the fried rice world

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Apr 6, 2006 -> 03:24 PM)
Ah, but we're only talking about 3 games. Only one of which was close and against our chief competition in the Central.

Didn't Cotts pitch two innings the day before? You know Ozzie. There's no such thing as a 'rookie' with him. If you're on the team, you're gonna be counted on to produce. When is Ozzie supposed to use the guy? Strictly in games in which we're up 5+ runs? Then people would complain that Logan isn't being tested in pressure situations.

Edited by Jordan4life_2006

QUOTE(hi8is @ Apr 6, 2006 -> 03:25 PM)
in my best bulwinkel voice:

"duh... ok george!"

i just dont agree... but its cool, we're still homedogs from the fried rice world

I think Yasny does the best job of breaking this down. Look, Ozzie is not very orthodox. But I do believe there's a method to his madness. You have to look at the big picture when it comes to him.

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2006 @ Apr 6, 2006 -> 02:34 PM)
Didn't Cotts pitch two innings the day before?  You know Ozzie.  There's no such thing as a 'rookie' with him.  If you're on the team,  you're gonna be counted on to produce.  When is Ozzie supposed to use the guy?  Strictly in games in which we're up 5+ runs?  Then people would complain that Logan isn't being tested in pressure situations.

Not right off the bat. How many MLB innings of experience did Logan have going into yesterday? Putting him in to protect a one-run lead with a series victory over the Indians on the line doesn't make much sense to me. It makes even less sense when a well-rested B-Mac mowed down the Tribe in the previous inning.

That said, I'm not going to rip Ozzie to shreds over this. Not after last year.

QUOTE(WCSox @ Apr 6, 2006 -> 03:43 PM)
Not right off the bat.  How many MLB innings of experience did Logan have going into yesterday?  Putting him in to protect a one-run lead with a series victory over the Indians on the line doesn't make much sense to me.  It makes even less sense when a well-rested B-Mac mowed down the Tribe in the previous inning.

That said, I'm not going to rip Ozzie to shreds over this.  Not after last year.

Not right off the bat? Then when would be a good time? August?

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2006 @ Apr 6, 2006 -> 02:47 PM)
Not right off the bat?  Then when would be a good time?  August?

Yes. If Logan has an ERA over 5 in August, and Ozzie brings him in to face Hafner with Cotts and Thornton sitting on the bench, that will be a perfect time, because that would mean Logan had failed way too many of Ozzie's previous tests.