take it easy on ozzie

pale_hose

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ Apr 8, 2006 -> 03:27 AM)
Curious....do most teams carry 2 solid backup outfielders?  One would think Mackowiak should be more than enough to help us out.  Who'd have that that we'd have 2 guys down so early in the season?

Considering that we knew Pods was dinged up coming into the season, I really don't like how we counted on Ozuna to be our 5th outfielder. And please note I was saying this well before our game tonight. We should never have to start Mackowiak against a LHP.

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Soxfest @ Apr 7, 2006 -> 11:29 PM)
Ozuna in right not left OG. RM should of played LF dam OGknow your personel

Huh? Aren't you supposed to have the stronger arm in RF, rather than in LF? I'm rather certain that Mack has a stronger arm that Ozuna.

Why would anyone put Ozuna in RF instead of Mack?

Considering that we knew Pods was dinged up coming into the season, I really don't like how we counted on Ozuna to be our 5th outfielder.  And please note I was saying this well before our game tonight.  We should never have to start Mackowiak against a LHP.

That means Gload is not on the team and a multipurpose player who hits righthanded is on the team. Do you remember when we talked about having another guy with speed who can play multiple positions, especially OF?

Although I do think the comments from the poster who attended the game hold merit, it was a nasty night out there. No excuses though, Pablo is a marginal OF and for that matter so is Gload.

QUOTE(JimH @ Apr 8, 2006 -> 03:33 AM)
That means Gload is not on the team and a multipurpose player who hits righthanded is on the team.  Do you remember when we talked about having another guy with speed who can play multiple positions, especially OF? 

Exactly, we saw this problem about 3 wks ago. We're completely negating Mackowiak's hitting ability by having to play him against lefties. Ozuna should NEVER be in the outfield!

My question is where was Pods? Affeldt was chased after the 4th.

Was Pods unavailable due to an injury that they're hiding ala the Cubs.

Pods was pulled in game 1 because the field was wet. He didn't play tonight because of the lefty, but was he not put back out there because of "windy conditions?" If he's that f***ing fragile, let him be that f***ing fragile in Charlotte on the DL. Get me some useful players.

My question is where was Pods? Affeldt was chased after the 4th.

Was Pods unavailable due to an injury that they're hiding ala the Cubs.

Pods was pulled in game 1 because the field was wet. He didn't play tonight because of the lefty, but was he not put back out there because of "windy conditions?" If he's that f***ing fragile, let him be that f***ing fragile in Charlotte on the DL. Get me some useful players.

I have a feeling that Podsednik's nagging injuries will be around all season. Frankly, I'm pretty sick of it and I wouldn't mind starting Mackowiak in LF against all righties and trading Podsednik off. Just get a righty hitting outfielder not named Ozuna that can play some defense to platoon with Mackowiak in LF.

Edited by SSH2005

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Apr 7, 2006 -> 09:44 PM)
I have a feeling that Podsednik's nagging injuries will be around all season.  Frankly, I'm pretty sick of it and I wouldn't mind starting Mackowiak in LF against all righties and trading Podsednik off.  Just get a righty hitting outfielder not named Ozuna that can play some defense to platoon with Mackowiak in LF.

How about someone that can catch a ball in left. That would be better than Ozuna.

Ozuna did the same thing last year with Jon on the bump here in a day game against the Royals at third. He kicked the ball around, Jon got rattled, and then got rocked. If Pods is hurt, DL him, put Mack out in LF and bring up some help. We cant play every game short staffed.

Oh my God it's the Jerry Owens revolution! Hop on board!

He's left-handed. We are looking for a righty-hitting left fielder to platoon with Mackowiak. When the trainer says that Podsednik has to be running like a Porsche to play the right way, that means he's injury-prone.

Edited by SSH2005

A story on Pods:

KANSAS CITY -- Mired in an 0-for-13 slump, left-handed-hitting Scott Podsednik was replaced in the starting lineup on Friday by right-handed-hitting Pablo Ozuna against Kansas City southpaw Jeremy Affeldt in the first of a three-game set at Kauffman Stadium.

But do 13 at-bats without a hit really make a slump, especially since those at-bats cover just the first three games of the 2006 regular season? In the minds of Podsednik and hitting coach Greg Walker, there are absolutely no worries when it comes to the fleet-footed leadoff man's slow start.

"I'm not really overly concerned," said Podsednik, who has one RBI and one walk to show for his early work on offense. "Obviously, you want to start hot, but the fact of the matter is, I'm starting out 0-for-12 or 0-for-13, whatever. I have to put that behind me, and the next time I'm in there, start trying to get myself on base."

"You don't want to let the first game or two put you in a panic mode, and I don't think he's there," added Walker. "He's fighting it a little bit right now, but it's not bad. One good game, and he's off and running."

Ozzie Guillen stated after Wednesday's loss that the only way for Podsednik to pick up a few hits was to keep going out there in the starting lineup. The White Sox manager changed his mind on Friday, opting instead to get Ozuna a few at-bats to keep him sharp off the bench.

Because of a sore left shoulder and slightly strained left groin, Podsednik's work was limited to 22 at-bats during Spring Training. But he does not believe that a lack of trips to the plate in March is costing him in April, not when he was swinging the bat so well at the end of Cactus League action.

Maybe a change in venue will help kick-start Podsednik's game. As Walker pointed out, U.S. Cellular Field's classification as a hitter's park doesn't always ring true when the weather is cold and windy in April. Podsednik had a possible home run knocked down in the first inning on Wednesday against Cleveland's Cliff Lee.

"He hit a couple of balls hard and hasn't got anything for it," said Walker. "So, then, what do you do? 'You've got to get a hit. You've got to get a hit.' That's no way to play the game. I think he's fine, though, I really do.

"You can't try to get four hits in one at-bat, either. If you get one hit, go for two. If you get two, go for three. That's how you have to approach it. To look for the magic potion, it doesn't work like that."

Walker added that Podsednik also can use his legs to pick up a few hits via a bunt, a sure-fire way to get pointed in the right direction. Whatever the method, Podsednik would like to become a little more offensive starting Saturday.

"I haven't put the good part of the bat on the ball," said Podsednik. "It's as simple as that. I'm not trying to look at anything deeper."

"As long as he's healthy, I'm not worried about him at all," added Walker

Edited by G&T

QUOTE(G&T @ Apr 8, 2006 -> 04:01 AM)
"He hit a couple of balls hard and hasn't got anything for it," said Walker. "So, then, what do you do? 'You've got to get a hit. You've got to get a hit.' That's no way to play the game. I think he's fine, though, I really do."

Greg Walker = jphat?

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Apr 7, 2006 -> 10:04 PM)
They just didn't find the holes dude.  Bad luck.

Its kewl for our leadoff hitter to constantly put the ball in the air for power. Very major league II. Think about how rested his legs can get just doing to home run trot.

Edited by southsideirish71

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Apr 8, 2006 -> 04:06 AM)
Its kewl for our leadoff hitter to constantly put the ball in the air for power.  Very major league II.  Think about how rested his legs can get just doing to home run trot.

If Pods = Willie "Mayes" Hayes;

Jenks = Ricky Vaughn........

Does that mean that Frank Thomas = Jack Parkman?

QUOTE(fathom @ Apr 7, 2006 -> 11:08 PM)
If Pods = Willie "Mayes" Hayes;

Jenks = Ricky Vaughn........

Does that mean that Frank Thomas = Jack Parkman?

I'd say that Thome fills the Parkman role. He's the newcomer to the successful team that seems to be our only major threat right now. He even got sold to the Sox in the movie. Just so we don't do the same thing and end up with a random Japanese outfielder that keeps running into the wall, although Tanaka was definitely a better fielder than Ozuna. :D

Well, Ozzie's blaming this game all on Garland.  Just because the ball would have gone out if the wind wasn't blowing in, it doesn't excuse Ozuna from dropping it.

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sp...-home-headlines

Wow...

"When you score seven runs, you expect to win," Sox manager Ozzie Guillen said. "[Garland] fell apart in a couple of innings."

[...]

"If the wind was blowing out, that ball would have ended up on the freeway or in St. Louis," Guillen said.

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Apr 8, 2006 -> 04:40 AM)
Wow...

I hope the brakes on the bus were working. I wouldn't want to see Garland get injured as Ozzie threw him under it. With the way Ozzie and the team executed the last few days, it was probably the short little yellow version.