Radio Wars

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/colum...umnistfront-hed

I found the exchange between Murphy and Mulligan very uncomfortable and amusing yesterday.

I always thought Murph was a tool. I actually heard his fued with Boers started when Boers and Ron Santo nearly got into a fist fight at Murphy's wedding. I'm not sure about that though.

My opinion on the Chicago Sports Radio Hosts:

Mike North - Blowhard! Thinks he knows it all. However, he can be a very good interviewer who will not back away from any questions. He is the face of Chicago sports radio, like it or not.

Fred Huebner - Solid. Opinionated. Probably not strong enough to host a show, but a good complimentary player.

Mike Mulligan - Funny. In touch with all aspects of life, not just sports. Good sense of humor.

Brian Hanley - Is a a Score original. He's pretty solid, but his first love will always be writing so for the most part, he is a bit player.

Mark Silverman/Carmen DeFalco - They are pretty funny and play off the Cubs/Sox rivalry plenty. They also seem to know their days are numbered.

Mike Murphy - What a tool. He is so into his Cub Love that he just comes off unprofessional. He also represents what I hate about Chicago sports talk. The sports geek. Les Grobsten, George Offman, Bruce Levine and Murph are like the dorks in the back of the class.

Dan McNeil - He never really got over his split with Terry Boers and the Score. He needs to bury the hatchet with the Score. He was always a blowhard, but his close-mindedness gets annoying. He once bragged that he never saw Seinfeld. How does that happen? He has some good points once in a while, but comes off as a jerk sometimes.

Harry Tienewitz - Homer, homer, homer to the end. If someone gives him a free drink or hung out with him, they are his buddies and all sense of perspective goes out the window. I don't know if I can't stand him or Murphy more, but the race is close. He just sounds like an idiot all the time.

Jurko - Former athlete. Plays the big, dumb jock role too far sometimes. Thinks he's funnier than he is. Take him or leave him.

Dan Bernstein - Has some interesting perspectives once in a while when he's not riding his high horse. Too often him and Boers sound like two 12-year-old girls giggling at inside jokes no one else gets.

Terry Boers - He used to be my favorite host in Chicago until he and McNeil split. Now he just acts immature. He has no original thought on anything. Bitter and crabby is all he is now.

Lawrence Holmes - I actually like him quite a bit. Seems to have given some new life into the Score lineup. I hate it when he's paired with Zack Zaibmen, but I actually think Holmes has some interesting thoughts.

Jonathon Hood - JHood was at his best after Sox losses late at night. You could hear the fan in him. He was better at the Score, but he's solid. What I really miss, is his Friday Night High School Holler show after high school football games. He would have everyone call in from games give perspective.

QUOTE(fathom @ Apr 12, 2006 -> 10:07 AM)
Anyone who doesn't like Boers and Bernstein must take things too seriously.  They're an extremely entertaining duo, and Bernstein is probably the smartest guy on sports radio in Chicago.

Bernstein is the best on the radio. He really does his research, and cracks me up.

Yesterday, Boers and Berstein played a soundbyte from Murphy and Mulligan's crossover where they confronted their supposed squabble, as discussed within Greenstein's article.

It was hilarious. Murphy had this subdued tone while confronting Mulligan, which sounded incredibly pathetic. One of numerous awkward moments he asks, sincerely, "Mully, should....should I get a bodyguard?" :lol:

Also, earlier within the segway, Murph insisted giving the middle finger is "despicable" and he would never do it, yet, swearing insisently over the phone is somehow acceptable. He was intent on finding the indentity of the producer whom discussed this incident with Mulligan rather than apologize. Mully stood his ground. Entertaining afternoon all around.

Should be a fine day when he's finally canned.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Apr 12, 2006 -> 10:35 AM)
Yesterday, Boers and Berstein played a soundbyte from Murphy and Mulligan's crossover where they confronted their supposed squabble, as discussed within Greenstein's article.

It was hilarious. Murphy had this subdued tone while confronting Mulligan, which sounded incredibly pathetic. One of numerous awkward moments he asks, sincerely, "Mully, should....should I get a bodyguard?" laugh.gif

Also, earlier within the segway, Murph insisted giving the middle finger is "despicable" and he would never do it, yet, swearing insisently over the phone is somehow acceptable. He was intent on finding the indentity of the producer whom discussed this incident with Mulligan. Mully stood his ground. Entertaining afternoon all around.

Should be a fine day when he's finally canned.

I heard that too, where was Murphy "fake chicago" accent during that crossover.

My favorite exchange:

Mulligan: "But you admit swearing at me on the phone?"

Smurphy: "Yeah, I've never denied that....but it was face-to-face, over the phone."

M "I don't think you'd have sworn at me face-to-face."

S "Why? Cuz there'd be a physical confrontation?"

M "No, I just don't think that's your style." ( his tone clearly suggesting that Murphy's a pussy )

:lol: :lol:

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Apr 12, 2006 -> 11:39 AM)
yeah that was way weird.... especially since they did it over the radio.  The best was the other guy with Mully cant remember his name was like we really have to stop doing this crossover crap.

That would be Brian Hanely (sp?). The whole thing was really weird and probably will end the cross talk, which I used to like way back in the day. North and Mully still have a good cross talk actually.

QUOTE(G&T @ Apr 12, 2006 -> 11:49 PM)
That would be Brian Hanely (sp?). The whole thing was really weird and probably will end the cross talk, which I used to like way back in the day. North and Mully still have a good cross talk actually.

Yeah Mike North is really good with the crosstalk thing. He did a nice job with it when he had Boers and Bernstein after him and still does good with Hanely and Mully.

As a former score intern, I can tell you this....

Mike North is a VERY hard person to work for. He thinks is is God's gift to radio when in actuallity he knows very little.

Murph is the most hated of all the score hosts. Most of his producers quit. No one likes working for him and producers (not of his show) are in fear of his wrath.

Boers and Bersie is possibly the most coveted producer position. They allow you to be creative and just have a fun time 4 hours a day, 5 days a week.

JHood (he was at the Score when i was there) was genuinelly one of the nicest people I have every met.

Edited by Athomeboy_2000

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Apr 13, 2006 -> 11:55 AM)
I think it would be fun to work for Mike North.... unlike most people I like his show not because he is right about everything but because it makes me laugh.  And he gets the best interviews too.

One of the problems he had (I dont knwo if this is still the case) is that he would often blow through comerical breaks without caring and totally ignoring the producers. THen he would get pissed off when the producers played more commercialsat the next break to compensate for the ones he made the station miss. "THat break was supposed to be 3 minutes. WTF is with this 4 minutes $hit?"

2 days ago Harry Teinowicz was talking about Vince Carter, and he said "You know, I always knew that he was a great player, but I dont know if I could cheer for him after he pulled a Bruce Levine. You know, sucking at one place so you can get to another."

LMAO!

QUOTE(fathom @ Apr 12, 2006 -> 11:07 AM)
Anyone who doesn't like Boers and Bernstein must take things too seriously.  They're an extremely entertaining duo, and Bernstein is probably the smartest guy on sports radio in Chicago.

I totally agree! My favorite thing that they did last year, and got in hot water over was when the sox were losing there big lead to the indian in Aug/Sept. They made the joke that went something like, "Whats the difference between the 1969 cubs and the 2005 white sox??? The sox's third baseman has legs!" And they continued to rip into santo about how he will still continue to broadcast for the cubs until they have to pull him up to the booth in a little basket and all that is left of him is his head.

I admit it was a little insenstive and might offend people with diabetes, but that is only if you take it to seriously. They are just fun loving and (Bernsie) is a smart guy. I really enjoy their show.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Apr 14, 2006 -> 06:51 AM)
oh... usually I thought jokes were apposed to be funny  :P

Ok...maybe its not the funniest joke in the history of the world...

I tried to use limited satire to make the point that North and Murphy are really bad sports radio hosts...

QUOTE(AbeFroman @ Apr 14, 2006 -> 10:00 AM)
Ok...maybe its not the funniest joke in the history of the world... 

I  tried to use limited satire to make the point that North and Murphy are really bad sports radio hosts...

pssst, I think he is just mad that he didnt get the joke and I had to explain it to him :ph34r: ;)