Game Thread - 04/13 Garland vs. Verlander

BigSqwert

• Replies 812
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Didn't see the game but I think our bullpen by the end of the year can be filthy. Cotts, McCarthy, Thorton and Jenks have stuff and all fairly young. Am I shining my rose colored glasses and drinking the Kool-Aid. Jenks and Thorton seem to get dinked to death which evens out over time.

If i didn't read the reviews on thorton I would think he is the cats pajamas.

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Apr 13, 2006 -> 03:32 PM)
Quick question--did Thorton throw anything besides a fastball this afternoon? In past appearances thus far it's been a consistent diet of fastballs and one outside, weak slider per outing.

Mostly fastballs. But he got the final out on a nifty curve for a called strike three.

QUOTE(ShoeLessRob @ Apr 13, 2006 -> 03:24 PM)
so in other words ... Thornton looked pretty damn good, eh?

Very much so. The best part might have been how he stayed composed. 3 of the weakest hits of the day loaded the bases, and instead of getting flustered by the bad luck, he threw more strikes and then K'd Granderson on another nasty slider to win it. I was really impressed.

QUOTE(jphat007 @ Apr 13, 2006 -> 03:26 PM)
Very much so. The best part might have been how he stayed composed. 3 of the weakest hits of the day loaded the bases, and instead of getting flustered by the bad luck, he threw more strikes and then K'd Granderson on another nasty slider to win it. I was really impressed.

That's good, now I'm wondering since I've only seen him pitch twice this year. Once in ST and the other a couple of games back ... Has his windup changed drastically?

QUOTE(ShoeLessRob @ Apr 13, 2006 -> 03:29 PM)
That's good, now I'm wondering since I've only seen him pitch twice this year. Once in ST and the other a couple of games back ... Has his windup changed drastically?

Looks more fluid. He's definitely throwing a lot more strikes, so I think it's a small change in mechanics and a big change mentally

QUOTE(jphat007 @ Apr 13, 2006 -> 03:31 PM)
Looks more fluid. He's definitely throwing a lot more strikes, so I think it's a small change in mechanics and a big change mentally

Gotta love the work Coop can do in such a small amount of time. :D