Game Thread - 04/13 Garland vs. Verlander

BigSqwert

It's amazing that even in a 13 run, 15 hit outburst, Pods and Anderson combine for.....zero hits. I feel like this is the Bad News Bears outfield. We have one very good hitter (Kelly Leak = Jermaine Dye), and then we have two other guys who can't hit or field.

• Replies 812
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(fathom @ Apr 13, 2006 -> 02:00 PM)
It's amazing that even in a 13 run, 15 hit outburst, Pods and Anderson combine for.....zero hits.  I feel like this is the Bad News Bears outfield.  We have one very good hitter (Kelly Leak = Jermaine Dye), and then we have two other guys who can't hit or field.

ozzie is very walter matthau-esque (coach buttermaker)... nice comparison

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Apr 13, 2006 -> 08:02 PM)
K, now its time for Optomstic Tony.

Its amazing that we scored 13 runs, 15 hit outburst in Comerica, and our LF and CF have zero hits. Just imagine when they do start to hit.

O ya, and Anderson cant field. :rolly

BTW Tony, I've been saying for a week now that I can't wait to see what will happen once we start to get more production from the 9/1 spot. I think it's great that we've found a way to win this week with such liabilities at that position. Also, I think Anderson is a fine fielder. I figured that since he dropped that ball yesterday....maybe I could just get by with the comparison. :P

QUOTE(Frankensteiner @ Apr 13, 2006 -> 02:30 PM)
The thinking on Hampton was "we can fix him, because he's been very good before." If Garland has a bad season, the thinking will be "he had a career year 2 years ago, he's not worth that contract."

Brown was 14-9 with a 2.39 ERA in 211 IP the season before being traded. He made 32 starts. I don't know how "consistently" hurt he was that year.

Benson was 10-8, 4.13 ERA last season. I don't know if that qualifies as brutal in my book.

So they're not going to do the same thing with Garland? He had a very good year last year, and he was a former first round pick. Those guys tend to hang around longer than they should. Hampton had weaker stuff and was making about $8 mil more per year. That contract was about as unmoveable as you can get.

First of, Brown still missed 3 starts that year. Second, Brown was nursing a late season injury when the Yankees acquired him. He didn't even pitch in the majors in 04 because of it. He was also making about $18 mil a year, making him virtually untradeable.

Those numbers for Benson aren't very good, especially in the NL in a pitcher's park. Plus, Benson has done basically nothing since his surgery, but people still seem to want him.

Garland is a 27 year old starter signed to an affordable contract that had a pretty good year last year, and still might this year. If we really wanted to trade him, someone would take him. However, that's quite a knee-jerk reaction after two starts.

Anyone worried about an inexperienced bullpen guy like BMac getting overused a la Cotts and Adkins in 2004? They were pretty good all season until they just hit a wall in August. Could that happen to BMac pitching multiple innings every other day?

QUOTE(heirdog @ Apr 13, 2006 -> 08:05 PM)
Anyone worried about an inexperienced bullpen guy like BMac getting overused a la Cotts and Adkins in 2004?  They were pretty good all season until they just hit a wall in August.  Could that happen to BMac pitching multiple innings every other day?

There's one huge difference between McCarthy and the Cotts/Adkins version of 2004. McCarthy is good, and he has the command/stuff to get MLB hitters out consistently.