Freddy v. Iguchi, no big deal

greg775

This from the Associated Press:

With the rain pelting down in the top of the fifth and the dirt of the U.S. Cellular Field infield a quagmire, Chicago White Sox second baseman Tadahito Iguchi fumbled an easy grounder that would have ended the inning.

Sox starter Freddy Garcia raised his hands to reveal his displeasure, thus showing up a teammate. Garcia struck out the next batter to nail down a rain-shortened 6-4 victory over Toronto, but his gesture was a topic of conversation in the clubhouse afterward.

“I was upset at Freddy,” manager Ozzie Guillen said. “I don’t want my players to embarrass (teammates). The way the game was and the field was, his reaction was a little bit out of control. I understand his frustration. I understand he wanted to get the inning over. But I don’t like my pitcher to show anybody up.”

After the inning, Guillen negotiated a patching up between Garcia and Iguchi.

Garcia took a 6-0 lead into the fifth. With the rain pouring down, he walked four batters, including two with the bases loaded. Iguchi’s error only prolonged the misery.

“I was desperate,” Garcia said. “You don’t know how hard it was to be out there. I was trying to hurry up, trying my best to get out of the inning.”

--Mariotti may blast Freddy over this, but I can't see it being a big deal. It was raining like mad out there and like Garcia says "you don’t know how hard it was to be out there. I was trying to hurry up, trying my best to get out of the inning.”

I don't see this as a big deal, especially since Ozzie made the two talk after the inning.

Do you think it's a problem?

“I was desperate,” Garcia said. “You don’t know how hard it was to be out there. "

So shouldn't he understand how hard it was for Gooch to make a player in the same conditions?

Whatever, it's a non-story.

Edited by WHarris1

QUOTE(WHarris1 @ Apr 16, 2006 -> 10:09 PM)
“I was desperate,” Garcia said. “You don’t know how hard it was to be out there. "

So shouldn't he understand how hard it was for Gooch to make a player in the same conditions?

Whatever, it's a non-story.

Yeah, it wasn't something that stood out during the game. If this becomes a story, it's because Bonds and TO won't speak to Pedro Gomez.

This is nothing except a great comparison between the 2 managers in Chicago. The second Ozzie sees one of his pitchers show up a teammate he does something about it, where as Dusty Baker pats Carlos Zambrano on the ass and tells him to keep up the good work.

It was a tough play for Iguchi and Freddy knows it he was just frustrated at the time, there will be no ill will in the future between the two.

I know when I pitched, when I walked guys I got pissed at myself and would let my emotions show. In Freddy's position today, he was basically being a closer for the first time in his career because we all knew there was going to be a long delay and most likely a called game after the final out was recorded. Gooch could have gotten that last out, but he didn't and the potential winning run was put on first with the tying run in scoring position. Nobody can say they wouldn't have been mad at Iguchi, and I'm sure Gooch, like the rest of us, were pissed as hell at Freddy when he kept walking guys in.

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Apr 16, 2006 -> 07:15 PM)
Iguchi is a big boy. I'm sure he understands that Garcia's frustration wasn't personal. Freddy probably just threw his hands up because he wanted it over and it was a natural reaction. I don't think anyone really thinks Garcia was trying to show Iguchi up.

^^^

Freddy gets emotional on the field and I'm sure that his teammates understand that. No big deal.

Plus, nobody would intentionally rip Tad's defense after the play he made in the 9th yesterday.

Gooch looked like he was standing in over a Wilbur Wood knuckler. His knees totally buckled. He was way off balance and deep in the hole. You could see the error comming before he made it. But you can not question his willingness to put his body on the line make a play after the 9th inning on Saturday. The whole infield was a lake. The only guy that came out of this game with any worries was Roger Bossard. Props to Oz for putting the fire out before it started.

Glad to see Glaus and Wells get out of town with two loses to think about. Wells is damn tough out.

I'm not quick to overlook how this might change team relations. Hopefully Tad will be the bigger man and accept Freddy G's apology.

However this situation turns out, I'm disappointed in Freddy's action and hope he regrets it.

I didn't notice Freddy making the gesture.

I know it was pouring and the infield was a lake, but I didn't the play was tough. It looked like Gooch was playing on his heels expecting and preparing for the ball to do something wierd, but it never did and so a routine grounder handcuffed him.

Edited by LosMediasBlancas

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Apr 16, 2006 -> 09:11 PM)
This is nothing except a great comparison between the 2 managers in Chicago. The second Ozzie sees one of his pitchers show up a teammate he does something about it, where as Dusty Baker pats Carlos Zambrano on the ass and tells him to keep up the good work.

It was a tough play for Iguchi and Freddy knows it he was just frustrated at the time, there will be no ill will in the future between the two.

This is exactly how I see it. Freddy was mad in the moment, and you can hardly blame him. If they talked to each other, this is so not an issue.