Class act: White Sox present rings

greasywheels121

Very cool. :cheers :cheers :cheers

http://whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/ar...t=.jsp&c_id=cws

Class act: White Sox present rings

Team reaches out to former players to show appreciation

Roland Hemond has been in the game of baseball for more than 50 years but he is enjoying what he terms "one of the best road trips of my life."

Hemond's travels have taken him from his home in Arizona to Chicago, then to Seattle, and back to several stops in his home state. His itinerary still is a work in progress.

Hemond's assignment is to present 2005 World Series rings to the Chicago White Sox players who no longer are members of the team.

"Jerry Reinsdorf (chairman of the White Sox) wanted to be sure every member of our championship team was presented the ring in a personal manner and I was lucky enough to draw the assignment of making the presentations to the players who couldn't be at the ceremony in Chicago," said Hemond.

The White Sox had invited all of the members of their 2005 world championship team to their ring ceremony prior to the second game of the season and four former players were in attendance -- Aaron Rowand, Orlando "El Duque" Hernandez, Willie Harris and Timo Perez -- but there were several other players not able to be with their former teammates.

The easy way to handle the remaining rings would have been to mail them out, but the White Sox hadn't won a World Series since 1917 and that called for a personal touch.

The ring ceremony in Chicago was handled in a first class fashion with tuxedo-clad, white-gloved members of the White Sox front office carrying the rings in from center field on silver platters.

It was an emotional ceremony for both the members of the organization and the fans, but to the credit of the White Sox, the players not able to be present were not forgotten.

Hemond booked a flight to Seattle and five days after the ceremony in Chicago he found himself in the Mariners' clubhouse to present rings to Carl Everett and Joe Borchard, both of whom had a hand in the championship.

"I had planned on giving the rings to Carl and Joe in a private manner but both general manager Bill Bavasi and manager Mike Hargrove wanted me to do it in the Mariner clubhouse with the other players watching," said Hemond.

"It was cool," said Everett. "And I think it was good to get it in front of everybody. Maybe it will spark the realization about what it means. It's knowing that this is what you work for."

After making the presentation in the home clubhouse, Hemond went to the visiting clubhouse to present a ring to longtime White Sox star Frank Thomas.

"Even though the ring was given to him at his locker and without any fanfare, Frank said he really appreciated the fact that the ring was presented in a personal manner," said Hemond.

"We had a good visit and when I left I told Frank I looked forward to be in Cooperstown when he is inducted into the Hall of Fame," he added.

It was a nice touch to the relationship between Thomas and the White Sox after Thomas and general manager Ken Williams had exchanged some verbal shots in the spring.

It's never easy when a player who has been a part of a world championship team has moved on but the White Sox and Hemond have shown there is a path that pays due respect to the players who contributed to a title.

When Hemond contacted the Arizona Diamondbacks about presenting a ring to former White Sox pitcher Luis Vizcaino, general partner Jeff Moorad and manager Bob Melvin asked that the presentation be in the team's clubhouse.

"It's really rewarding to see the reaction of the other players," said Hemond. "I think it gives even more significance to the meaning of a World Series ring."

Hemond has a few other stops to make as he will visit Raul Casanova, a catcher now in the Oakland organization; outfielder Jeff Bajenaru, now with Tucson; and pitcher Jon Adkins of the San Diego Padres.

Hemond was scheduled to make the presentation to Adkins on May 2 in Sacramento but the right-handed pitcher had his contract purchased from Portland by the Padres on Tuesday. Hemond now will adjust his schedule to catch up with Adkins.

It may seem like a lot of effort for a team to reach out and track down the players who were part of a World Series team but it makes all of the sense in the world.

World Series rings are precious gifts. Hall of Fame players like Ted Williams, Willie McCovey, Ernie Banks, Harmon Killebrew, Ralph Kiner and Juan Marichal never had the honor of being a member of a World Series winner. Great stars like Willie Mays, Hank Aaron, Cal Ripken Jr. and Nolan Ryan have only one World Series ring.

The first team that I recall that reached out to former players to make ring presentations was the Toronto Blue Jays after the 1992 season, when Paul Beeston and Pat Gillick traveled to various sites to present the rings.

The White Sox waited a long time to win another World Series, but when they won they did it right with their ring presentation and by reaching out to players to show their appreciation.

Let's hope the White Sox are part of a new trend in baseball when it comes to presenting World Series rings to the people who matter the most -- the players.

Hemond has a few other stops to make as he will visit Raul Casanova, a catcher now in the Oakland organization; outfielder Jeff Bajenaru, now with Tucson; and pitcher Jon Adkins of the San Diego Padres.

:rolly

Edited by Felix

I sat with Roland Hemond for two innings at the final game at old Comiskey Park. He is nothing but a class act. Kenny Williams baseball acumen really emerged when Roland rejoined the club. His presence on the payroll goes deeper than most people realize. I welled up a bit when they introduced him at the Fisk statue unveiling.

QUOTE(South Side Fireworks Man @ Apr 19, 2006 -> 08:00 PM)
Shingo certainly will receive a ring and he deserves to be presented with his ring personally.  If it means Hemond flies to Japan, then that's what should happen.

I have nothing but good feelings for Shingo.

I share the same thought. Shingo was a huge part of our team and he brought some good memories to us.

QUOTE(bulokis @ Apr 19, 2006 -> 08:03 PM)
I share the same thought. Shingo was a huge part of our team and he brought some good memories to us.

So, let me get this straight, maybe I'm not getting this right. Adkins, Bajenaru, and Raul are all getting rings, is that it? Then Shingo undoubtedly gets one, or hell breaks loose.

QUOTE(retro1983hat @ Apr 20, 2006 -> 08:31 AM)
A classy move, but no offense, the Sox should have waited to present Frank with his ring when he returns to Chicago to play the Sox. He deserves that moment in front of the Sox fans. The Sox owe him that as well. JMO.

^^^

QUOTE(retro1983hat @ Apr 20, 2006 -> 08:31 AM)
A classy move, but no offense, the Sox should have waited to present Frank with his ring when he returns to Chicago to play the Sox. He deserves that moment in front of the Sox fans. The Sox owe him that as well. JMO.

Hmm well that depends. Under normal circumstances I'd obviously agree with you, especially since Frank is the best player in team history and did make a HUGE contribution to the offense when we was playing, but at the same time Frank the person may not even want that ceremony knowing how he can be.

I will say this though, he deserved to be offered that chance either way and regardless of how you feel about Frank the person, that would be a spot where every fan in the stadium would be giving him a standing O, that ring is something Frank more than earned with all those great years he had for us in the past.